SRAM finally get into the motor game.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
SRAM have bought Amprio, a German motor manufacturer.

Not much news apart from that, but will be interesting to see what comes.
Various brands including Nukeproof have been seen testing an unknown motor in adapted existing frames, which many suspected to be a SRAM product. Looks like it was one of these:

EEB4EDAF-C87A-4F26-8870-1FE838DC45AA.jpeg

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Rheinmetall is a huuuge company.

Rheinmetall Group: Sales growth of 6.5%

Consolidated sales increased by €249 million or 6.5% year-on-year to €4,089 million in the first three quarters of 2022 (previous year: €3,841 million).10 Nov 2022

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I think these motors have the same bolt pattern as EP8. Hopefully we will have a standard for motor dimensions so we can decide for ourselves what motor we want to use in our bikes.
And then he said "standard bolt pattern" LOL
As much as I would love to see this and be able to choose what motor we run, that'll never happen.

Dozer

Oct 13, 2022
Norway
And then he said "standard bolt pattern" LOL
As much as I would love to see this and be able to choose what motor we run, that'll never happen.
I have almost pulled the trigger on the Nukeproof and also on Santa Cruz, but haven't because of the Shimano motor.
Once the bike companies realize they loose sales over this, we might see some movement in the right direction. At least that is what I hope for....
So I "wote" with my money, and money can be quite persuading.😁

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
I wonder what influences motor choice with these brands. Do Shimano offer kick backs and great deals in order to get Santa Cruz to exclusively use them or do Santa Cruz choose the motor based on their own findings?
Gotta be the bribe😂

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I wonder what influences motor choice with these brands. Do Shimano offer kick backs and great deals in order to get Santa Cruz to exclusively use them or do Santa Cruz choose the motor based on their own findings?
Gotta be the bribe😂
No. During a board meeting at Santa Cruz the person who was sweeping the floor sneezed…it sounded like Shimano.
Almost true story!😉

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Historically (and with some exceptions) shimano will supply/sell a smaller amount of units to brands, whereas Bosch you need to order a shitload - this is one of the reasons a lot of brands go with Shimano.

The other is that the shimano ecosytem is far more flexible than the Bosch one in terms of component choice, and also critically comparability with some third party suppliers (e.g of batteries) which bike designers like.

With Bosch you are locked into their full system with no choice.

Simply put with Shimano a bike designer has more freedom

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Historically (and with some exceptions) shimano will supply/sell a smaller amount of units to brands, whereas Bosch you need to order a shitload - this is one of the reasons a lot of brands go with Shimano.

The other is that the shimano ecosytem is far more flexible than the Bosch one in terms of component choice, and also critically comparability with some third party suppliers (e.g of batteries) which bike designers like.

With Bosch you are locked into their full system with no choice.

Simply put with Shimano a bike designer has more freedom
I think also on the negotiating table is Shimano's parts catalogue (hence this thread) .. which is negotiated in tandem..

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The supply chain is not as straightforward as it my appear - don’t take the following as verbatim but it is something I have been told before.

A lot is smaller brands do not necessarily buy parts directly from Shimano - instead they often buy them off the likes of Canyon. My understanding is that the likes of Canyon buy up huge amounts of Shimano stock and offload what they don’t need, often at a cheaper price than smaller brands would pay direct to Shimano, because of the discount Canyon originally got due to size of the order.

I am not sure how true it is, but it is the reason you will often also be able to get good deals on unboxed stock from the likes of canyon and also Chain reaction.

I once got a set of Factory 36’s from CRC for example that where brand new but unboxed, and clearly intended for OEM spec.

As I said not sure how accurate this is but I do know that components are often not bought directly from the manafacturer

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
Other than the display, I’m far happier with the power delivery and noise of the Shimano vs Bosch, side by side. The Kiox display is glorious. The rider integration of the shimano smokes it though.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Maybe they're keeping their options open.

The first one certainly looks like the Amprio Rmag - which seems to use the same mounts as the E8000/7000/EP8. This makes some sense as assuming you could make your batteries also fit, you could offer your motor for use to people with an existing frame or frame in development.

1685712867332.png
1685712906779.png

Whilst the second looks like the same Brose setup they were using early on before they bought Amprio.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles