SRAM finally get into the motor game.

gbcoke

Aug 28, 2022
italy
I'ts highly unlikely they would offer 2 different full power motors.
My guess is the Brose deal was made a long time ago and they bought Amprio to have design and production capabilities for future models.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I'ts highly unlikely they would offer 2 different full power motors.
My guess is the Brose deal was made a long time ago and they bought Amprio to have design and production capabilities for future models.
Agreed. It would be a logistics and support nightmare.

But it would mean they could sell/support to more existing platforms (though selling a brose via a third party seems a bit bonkers)

Just seems strange to continue testing the Brose option and wasting time/investment in that direction, unless it's for comparisons in performance with sound/power/range/customisation

ZylsonPL

Jan 12, 2023
Zielona Góra - Poland
IMG_0103.png

Its not Fazua for me…

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Can someone what's the benefit of developping a new motor that's the same as Brose ?

Brose motors are pretty uncommon here in North America, only large manufacturer using it is Specialized via their own branding.

That Transition is looking pretty good!

Another One

Feb 28, 2022
London / Wakefield
Historically (and with some exceptions) shimano will supply/sell a smaller amount of units to brands, whereas Bosch you need to order a shitload - this is one of the reasons a lot of brands go with Shimano.

The other is that the shimano ecosytem is far more flexible than the Bosch one in terms of component choice, and also critically comparability with some third party suppliers (e.g of batteries) which bike designers like.

With Bosch you are locked into their full system with no choice.

Simply put with Shimano a bike designer has more freedom
Makes sense always wondered why so many bikes have Shimano.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Historically (and with some exceptions) shimano will supply/sell a smaller amount of units to brands, whereas Bosch you need to order a shitload - this is one of the reasons a lot of brands go with Shimano.

The other is that the shimano ecosytem is far more flexible than the Bosch one in terms of component choice, and also critically comparability with some third party suppliers (e.g of batteries) which bike designers like.

With Bosch you are locked into their full system with no choice.

Simply put with Shimano a bike designer has more freedom
Only a matter of time before Shimano decides that the size of its market share warrants locking customers into its products. Classic proprietary marketing strategy.

Eduardoramundo

Aug 8, 2019
Glasgow
Looks good apart from :-

Have to run AXS dropper (max 170mm), unless you can squeeze in a dropper lever. Also stuck with SRAM rear rotor.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Looks good apart from :-

Have to run AXS dropper (max 170mm), unless you can squeeze in a dropper lever. Also stuck with SRAM rear rotor.
I'd guess if you elected not to run an AXS dropper, for how often you'd use the left switch, you could move it further inboard and have the normal space for a dropper.

No idea if the 6 magnets are part of a specific disk or if it's just a ring which mounts on the existing 6 bolt holes like other magnets. Would seem a bit wasteful to make it intrinsic to the actual disk. @Rob Rides EMTB Any pics of the disk/magnets ? or how it mounts ?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I'd guess if you elected not to run an AXS dropper, for how often you'd use the left switch, you could move it further inboard and have the normal space for a dropper.

No idea if the 6 magnets are part of a specific disk or if it's just a ring which mounts on the existing 6 bolt holes like other magnets. Would seem a bit wasteful to make it intrinsic to the actual disk. @Rob Rides EMTB Any pics of the disk/magnets ? or how it mounts ?
Standard disc. Part mounts on top of disc.

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
We have an existing motor with less modes/tunes than the specialized Brose. Plus an existing drivetrain that now has auto options that I don't want. I'll wait for an Pinon MGU.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Hopefully it can free shift like shimanos motor.
Looks like it only has Free Shift (SRAM calls it "coast shift") but not Auto Free Shift (which is the most useful feature IMO). EDIT: I suppose since you have full auto-shift then Auto Free Shift is implied but I actually don't want full auto-shift...

Last edited:

osgrooves

Apr 26, 2021
UK
@Rob Rides EMTB - Do you have to run the left shifter pod or can you use the controlled in the top tube to switch between assistance levels? I'm considering specing up a Propain and would like to save the £300 and get a non-RockShox dropper but don't really want to run two controls on the left of the bike.

Redders473

Jul 30, 2020
Leeds
You can set the pod buttons to turn off auto shift by doing a long press, probably in the app you could change it to long hold changes mode maybe.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
@Rob Rides EMTB - Do you have to run the left shifter pod or can you use the controlled in the top tube to switch between assistance levels? I'm considering specing up a Propain and would like to save the £300 and get a non-RockShox dropper but don't really want to run two controls on the left of the bike.
Correct. No need to run pod, can change modes on the top tube display button switch. But, you lose walk assist doing it this.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles