SRAM AXS derailleur connected to main ebike battery

oclvframe

Oct 6, 2020
Atlanta
Although this is not a Bosch bike, Trek has wired the new GX T-type too....I have the X0 T-type on my Rail and it too is wired. That said, I wish the cable to the dummy battery didnt hang out as far as it does...I have tried shoving it back in but eventually it slides out...Im afraid it will become a snag-device at some point!

Screen Shot 2023-08-20 at 8.35.49 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-08-20 at 8.30.50 AM.png

Aug 17, 2022
Dijon
Bien qu'il ne s'agisse pas d'un vélo Bosch, Trek a également câblé le nouveau type T GX... J'ai le type T X0 sur mon rail et il est également câblé. Cela dit, je souhaite que le câble de la batterie factice ne traîne pas aussi loin qu'il le fait... J'ai essayé de le remettre en place mais finalement il glisse... J'ai peur qu'il devienne un accroc à un moment donné !
Par sécurité, je partirais avec une batterie de secours dans le sac à dos !

JC-1

Aug 23, 2021
New Zealand
Although this is not a Bosch bike, Trek has wired the new GX T-type too....I have the X0 T-type on my Rail and it too is wired. That said, I wish the cable to the dummy battery didnt hang out as far as it does...I have tried shoving it back in but eventually it slides out...Im afraid it will become a snag-device at some point!

View attachment 122952 View attachment 122950
Very interesting! I’m going to send that photo to SRAM and see what they say!

If there’s too much slack wire, you should be able to take the bash guard off and take up the excess from the motor end.

Bradleybourbon

Jul 3, 2023
Fairfield, CA
My Rail came with this, but I've replaced the AXS non-T-Type with GX T-Type which tucks the battery away differently to the XX/XO derailleurs. Unfortunately, the wired dummy battery can't be used. I'm hoping there's another version in the works that will suit GX.
Are you willing to sell it? I recently upgraded to the XO T-Type and I have been trying to purchase it for months. I got a call from the LBS today and basically told me Trek/SRAM are not willing to sell me one after I have purchased the Smartbox and AXS cable from Trek.

JC-1

Aug 23, 2021
New Zealand
Are you willing to sell it? I recently upgraded to the XO T-Type and I have been trying to purchase it for months. I got a call from the LBS today and basically told me Trek/SRAM are not willing to sell me one after I have purchased the Smartbox and AXS cable from Trek.
I would, but I'm in Australia, so the postage is probably excessive.

Colin46

Aug 11, 2023
United Kingdom
My trek exe 9.9 came wired with Axs xx1. I’ve since swapped to xx t type and have been using the same battery connection cable to the main battery. Currently my bike is waiting for its third rear mech as 2 have failed to wake up after been left for a week. the first rear mech was replaced by the shop and I’ve sent the second one in for check up to sram.

im going to fit the third one this week when it arrives but I’m going to fit a standard battery and take the cable out. The cable connection is the only common denominator and I can’t believe that 2 xx rear mechs have been faulty. I’m wondering if the cable is,, for some reason, overloading the xx mech and destroying it. It’s my only explanation.

randycpu

Nov 15, 2018
Silicon Valley, USA
My trek exe 9.9 came wired with Axs xx1. I’ve since swapped to xx t type and have been using the same battery connection cable to the main battery. Currently my bike is waiting for its third rear mech as 2 have failed to wake up after been left for a week. the first rear mech was replaced by the shop and I’ve sent the second one in for check up to sram.

im going to fit the third one this week when it arrives but I’m going to fit a standard battery and take the cable out. The cable connection is the only common denominator and I can’t believe that 2 xx rear mechs have been faulty. I’m wondering if the cable is,, for some reason, overloading the xx mech and destroying it. It’s my only explanation.
Can you describe what "...failed to wake up..." means?
Are they dead and cannot be revived? Or did they not "wake up" with the vibration sensor that allows AXS devices go to sleep and then wake up when the bike is moved?
Did you try a standard AXS battery? Did you push the button on the side that "wakes" the derailleur?
I agree with you on the possibility that the battery replacement cable could be damaging the derailleur. Can you measure the voltage coming from the main battery? It should be between 3.0 and 4.2 volts...

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Good point.

The battery lasts so long the that I will forget to charge it one day. The cost and time for installation is marginal so I think its worth my afford.
I carry 2 batteries. In the last 4 years of using AXS, I have had to use my spare battery exactly 0 times. I do swap it out sometimes to keep the charge cycling on each of the batteries.

Colin46

Aug 11, 2023
United Kingdom
Are they dead and cannot be revived? Or did they not "wake up" with the vibration sensor that allows AXS devices go to sleep and then wake up when the bike is moved?
Did you try a standard AXS battery? Did you push the button on the side that "wakes" the derailleur?
I agree with you on the possibility that the battery replacement cable could be damaging the derailleur. Can you measure the voltage coming from the main battery? It should be between 3.0 and 4.2 volts...
Hi thanks for the reply

i turned the bike on and gave it a shake to wake the components like i normally do but the mech didn’t wake up, it’s greyed out in the app. The button doesn’t do anything, I can’t pair it, I’ve tried numerous batteries and I’ve tried a hard reset like sram support asked me but nothing the mech is completely dead, this is the second one.

im about to send the mech off to sram for warranty repair but I’ve bought another one to put on.

im going to remove the dummy battery and cable and just use the normal sram battery from now on, I can’t believe that 2 mechs have been faulty and I’m not willing to try it with a third mech

oripaamoni

Jan 31, 2019
San Diego
I checked the voltage on my AXS battery fully charged was 8.4v so it looks like it's a 2s battery. I have been trying to source the correct cable for months now from Trek and SRAM for my Ex-e but I keep getting the run around and nobody can tell me what the part number is. After seeing the cost of that extender linked in this thread I took matters into my own hands and made my own.... So far I have tested it with a bench power supply at 8v and it works great! I ordered a regulator to step down the 13v coming from the TQ smart box to 8v and will wire it in and go for a ride later this week. So far it looks promising. I have my garmin wired in to charge off the bike too from the pogo pins on the back of the device.

IMG_8231.jpg IMG_8233.jpg IMG_8235.jpg

randycpu

Nov 15, 2018
Silicon Valley, USA
I checked the voltage on my AXS battery fully charged was 8.4v so it looks like it's a 2s battery. I have been trying to source the correct cable for months now from Trek and SRAM for my Ex-e but I keep getting the run around and nobody can tell me what the part number is. After seeing the cost of that extender linked in this thread I took matters into my own hands and made my own.... So far I have tested it with a bench power supply at 8v and it works great! I ordered a regulator to step down the 13v coming from the TQ smart box to 8v and will wire it in and go for a ride later this week. So far it looks promising. I have my garmin wired in to charge off the bike too from the pogo pins on the back of the device.

View attachment 130931 View attachment 130932 View attachment 130933
NICE!! Did you 3D print that?

Colin46

Aug 11, 2023
United Kingdom
I’ve pulled the cable out and gone to using a battery. Can’t see the point in having wires on a wireless system.
im still not convinced that it wasn’t a faulty cable that destroyed my first 2 t type xx rear mechs.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I carry 2 batteries. In the last 4 years of using AXS, I have had to use my spare battery exactly 0 times. I do swap it out sometimes to keep the charge cycling on each of the batteries.
Snap! I have a spare in my pack, but I also have both dropper and derailleur - so could swap out if required.
Been running AXS since January 2020 and have never required to swap the battery out on the trail.

oripaamoni

Jan 31, 2019
San Diego
Can you please share the link to that charger? Doesn't looks like Garmin Power Mount. Or is it self-made? Thanks in advance.
It's a bit of a custom hodgepodge. So I had to Dremel out the center of the K-edge mount to make room for the 3d printed pogo pin holder and then purchased the garmin power pack mount. Garmin does now sell an off the shelf solution for this part though.

Garmin Power mount

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles