New SRAM GX AXS derailleur. Kinda nice. What about paddle upgrade?

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Monday I drove over to the bike shop just to chat. Conversation turned to AXS shifting. All I can figure is that he must have pulled some kind of Jedi mind trick on me, because the next thing I knew I was walking out the door with a box labeled "SRAM GX AXS."

Yesterday I slapped all the parts onto the bike, and it was straight forward like it should be. The only oddity was the shifting paddle. I mounted the shifter (controller) to my Magura MT7 lever with a SRAM Matchmaker clamp. It was bloody stupid. The paddle was way up high, so I had to contort my thumb into a crazy angle just to shift. That wasn't gonna work. So I threw the Matchmaker clamp across the garage and installed a discrete clamp for the shifter. It was much better.

After going inside for the evening, I started reading about the "paddle upgrade." I ordered one up, and it will arrive tomorrow.

Today was the virgin run with the new shifting setup. Really quickly, I figured out that the shifter needed more adjustment. I rotated it so it's really low, where my thumb normally holds the grips. I don't know why every picture/video that I can find show the shifter rotated way up high. That makes no sense to me. Anyway, now I can just move my thumb over to the shifter and rock it either up or down. It's pretty good.

Oh, and the whole eDerailleur thing... It's kind of nice. The downshifts are a bit quicker, for sure, and require less movement of my thumb. Upshifts were lightning fast with the Amish Derailleur, and so they are with the AXS system, too. I set up the system to provide "burst fire" shifts. The "burst fire" is not as quick as clicking quickly on a manual shifter, but it's fast enough for grabbing/dropping a bunch of gears.

I think I'll like the original paddle, but the new one arrives tomorrow. Maybe I'll give it a try, or maybe I'll just let it sit on the shelf. Regardless, I'm liking the new setup after one ride. Once I become more accustomed to it, I fear that the manual shifting on the other bike might not be good enough any more.

Check out the pics. The first is my hand in the normal riding position. The second is my thumb on the paddle with no change in my grip. The third was going to be of the derailleur, which you all know what it looks like, but my little attention whore wouldn't allow it.

IMG_5131.jpeg

IMG_5132.jpeg

IMG_5138.jpeg

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
The stock paddle gives you more unconventional contact points, so you can find new and exciting ways to shift. For instance I liked the ability to shift both up and down using my index finger and I could (inconsistently) shift both ways with the side of my thumb along the outside edge.

The replacement paddle has a more traditional SRAM double-thumb fit, which is nice if you swap from bike to bike. Not as many options for shifting but I liked it better overall.

FWIW I'm back on full XTR on both bikes. Shimano just works better, weighs less, and costs less.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I set up the system to provide "burst fire" shifts. The "burst fire" is not as quick as clicking quickly on a manual shifter, but it's fast enough for grabbing/dropping a bunch of gears.

you're probably already aware, but sram say that if you use the multishift mode on an ebike you void the warranty - I presume there is a higher chance of the breaking the chain when shifting several gears at once with the extra power of a motor involved.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Love the GX derailer but I kept the Shimano HG cassette and chain. The lower jockey wheel, or guide wheel, needs to be changed to fit the Shimano chain. They say it’s the best of both worlds. My biggest complaint is that the shifting is now too smooth and too quiet 🤫.

I have the same controller setup with the Magura brakes.(matchmaker attachment). It doesn’t have the adjustment I would like.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Love the GX derailer but I kept the Shimano HG cassette and chain. The lower jockey wheel, or guide wheel, needs to be changed to fit the Shimano chain. They say it’s the best of both worlds. My biggest complaint is that the shifting is now too smooth and too quiet 🤫.

I have the same controller setup with the Magura brakes.(matchmaker attachment). It doesn’t have the adjustment I would like.
I use the axs GX derailluer with shimano HG cassette and chain too, and it works really well, but I havent had to change any of the jockey wheels.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I use the axs GX derailluer with shimano HG cassette and chain too, and it works really well, but I havent had to change any of the jockey wheels.
Hmmm, my chain didn’t ride very well over the Sram lower jockey wheel. It was an easy change though, one tooth smaller. (14 to a 13).

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
The paddle was way up high, so I had to contort my thumb into a crazy angle just to shift.
View attachment 81800
Did you install a new derailer shifter?
I have a similar setup to you and I plan on experimenting with the axs controller location with the provided hanger. (Move things around.)
79EEF950-737E-4479-B248-98AFA2DBEC12.jpeg

I still have to contort my thumb with this setup but I’m getting use to it. I might try a separate hanger and reposition the controller.
0E09C8CE-EE67-4658-9553-7162DA204DE6.jpeg

Anyways, after almost 6 months I haven’t had to swap the chain. On a regular derailer I would have installed 2new chains by now. (15-25km per day with steep climbs). Regular lube maintenance but I don’t crunch through the shifts anymore. Is it just me or does this AXS GX derailer extend the life of the chain and cassette? I’m sorta worried but I ordered a spare HG Shimano cassette and I have a spare chain. Oh, and I haven’t skipped a shift …never …since installing the AXS derailer.
2975D670-940B-4620-8FDF-CC6F15021251.jpeg

Dropped into a LBS yesterday and they gave me these for my MT7’s, along with a few other stickers (my life is complete now 😉). I picked up some spare pads also.
CF6B2E2D-DFAB-4AB1-9442-7979B0B1E546.jpeg

I noticed the hight of your dropper. Mine isn’t as high as yours but I plan on installing the 170mm AXS Reverb this week. (Measured the fit carefully). The longer dropper should allow me to get lower on very steep decents. I currently have a 150mm dropper on a medium Rail 9.7. Gonna try a new saddle also (Ergon smc core).

DE11E445-8A49-4D7F-9702-803AD6DCDA5B.jpeg

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Did you install a new derailer shifter?

Yes, I got the "upgraded" shifter paddle. The original paddle required me to move my thumb too far, making quick shifts awkward.

The upgraded paddle still wasn't great when it was mounted to the integrated brake lever clamp, so I mounted the shifter to a separate clamp. That allowed me to position the paddle exactly where I want it, without jacking up the brake lever position.

It's now set up with the bottom paddle really close to where my thumb normally rides. To hit the other paddle, I have to lift my thumb and reach, but it's not terrible. I decided that the bottom paddle is for downshifting, because an urgent situation is more likely to involve a downshift. An upshift is more likely when everything is good and I'm looking to pick up speed. Agree or not, it's nice that SRAM gives us the opportunity to choose.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC

…so I mounted the shifter to a separate clamp. That allowed me to position the paddle exactly where I want it, without jacking up the brake lever position.
Okay, good info. I’ll fiddle around with controller position a bit but I’ll probably get the upgraded paddle. Hopefully that works.
Thanks

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles