SRAM 220mm Rotor

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Apparently, cause Guide RE = old Code caliper + Guide R lever.

Last edited:

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent

Dfriz

Mar 16, 2018
USA
My 2019 Kenevo 220 on fox 40's

20200101_112623-1.jpg

Dpickin1

Oct 2, 2019
Israel
Did you manage to find the right adapter here? I’m searching myself
I was told by Worldwide Cycle in the US that a standard Sram 10mm adapter would do the trick. I would really appreciate if anyone here could either confirm our deny this!

In the meantime, I installed trickstuff power pads which work so well that I am not in a rush to get the 220mm rotor although it is on my "purchase soon" list.

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Just bought a pair of the Magura mounts and two 220mm rotors from BikeDiscount.de for £80 delivered for my Code RSC stoppers. I know 220mm on the rear is overkill but as a heavy rider on a heavy bike I figured what the hell.
I would say no way for 220mm rotor on back wheel, I am 85kg and even thinking installing 180mm rotor on rear as it is too easy to skid even with 200mm rotor (at least now when I upgraded to Code RSC brakes) ...

Last edited:

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
I would say no way for 220mm rotor on back wheel, I am 85kg and even thinking installing 180mm rotor on rear as it is too easy to skid even with 200mm rotor (at least now when I upgraded to Code RSC brakes) ...

You aren’t heavy at 85kg, I have another ebike on you. Besides,, if you’re skidding involuntarily on a 200mm rotor it’s likely a control issue.

Last edited:

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
So, schoolboy error, my Comp Carbon Levo has Fox 34 Rhythm forks which have 160mm post mounts. I already had the 40mm adaptors fitted for my 200mm rotor so I think it’s no dice for me.

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
Silverfish UK have been in touch after I asked about my Fox 34 options and their response was that none of their forks, including the Fox 40's, support rotors bigger than 203mm.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Silverfish UK have been in touch after I asked about my Fox 34 options and their response was that none of their forks, including the Fox 40's, support rotors bigger than 203mm.
Interesting given that firstly a lot of the DH riders are now using them, as are EWS teams, plus we are seeing big rotors specced OEM on more bikes these days.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Interesting given that firstly a lot of the DH riders are now using them, as are EWS teams, plus we are seeing big rotors specced OEM on more bikes these days.
Nothing's actually changed on the lower castings or bushing ovelap though.So regarding larger rotors everyting tested/designed would only really have been in regard to standard 8" rotors available at the time of design etc.
Silverfish aren't Fox. They're just their UK distributor

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Rockshox Lyriks and Pikes are both rated as minimum 180mm and maximum 220mm on their website so if you want to be on the safe side you have the option of going down the Rockshox route if you are worried about Fox’s warranty using 220mm disks on their forks ;)

Pike Ultimate

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Anyone else been around long enough to remember the few years (late 90s/early 00s) Fox and RS fork owners seemed to suffer tons from premature wear to their left stanchion's anodising and left leg bushings? Anyone also remember that it just happened to coincide with growing popularity for 203mm rotors on non DH bikes?
Both Fox and RS did eventually up their game and design more durable stiffer forks to deal with it though.
So there is that ;)

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I converted my 2018 Kenevo (with codeR brakes) to 220mm rotor with relative ease. Thanks for info in this thread. The parts and shipping from the links to US bike store were quite expensive - $23 for the adaptor and $55.44 for the disk plus expensive shipping. I found much better value from Bike-components.de - €24.43 for disk and Magura adaptor €7.69 - hell of a difference! They did not list the SRAM adaptor on their webpage but they said that the Magura one would work (which it does). They respond quickly and in English to any enquiries I made and delivery (to Switzerland) was just a few days. The adaptor comes with screws to mount to fork, but none to mount the calliper. According to the SRAM document listed above all the screws should be 18mm long with just flat washers. Luckily (since we are in lock down and there is nowhere I could have bought the screws) I had some screws hanging around that did the job although they are not quite as long. I agree with above that putting the cup washers on the same side (as some have done) doesn't achieve anything, and I can't see why they were like that with the original 200mm disk - they don't allow any adjustment and are just packing out the longer screws. Anyway, once fitted, which was straightforward, a brief bedding in session showed that there is a considerable improvement. With the Trickstuff power pads (which in recent test increased power of Code brakes by 20%) I reckon to have increased power by about 40%. I know that one is supposed to use one finger, but I could not do this for long Alpine descents and had to use two fingers, but hopefully I will be able to do that now!
IMG_8355.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Hi guys,

Can you tell me would this PAUL Disc Brake Adapter for 200 mm Rotors
work with my SRAM Code R brakes to convert to 220mm? It says "fork mount: standard international" and "caliper mount: post mount" and says the height is 40mm. I have Fox 36 in the front so it's already 180 without adapters.
More info here, including an adapter .

Apr 26, 2020
Out west
I have a 2019 base Levo with stock fork - pic attached. From the way I am reading the thread, I should not need anything other than longer bolts as I have no cup washers or spacers or will the caliper hit the adaptor? Thx
View attachment 23710
I'm about to mount a220 on my Levo. I'm a little confused. Don't you need the beveled washers to properly align the pads to the rotor? The picture above shows no washers so there isn't a way to float the angle of the caliper before locking it in place? Is that no longer needed?

Thanks!

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Depends on the calipers, if you have CPS caliper (for example Guide RE or old Code) you'll need cup washers, if you have standard caliper (for example new Code) you mount it without cup washers, see picture below. Normally they make PM on forks in a way that mounting surface is perpendicular to the wheel (and rotor) axis, if this for any reason is not the case and if you're mounting a standard caliper without cup washers then you may need to make corrections to the PM or PM adapter mounting surface using Disc Brake Mount Facing Set.

1042058d1452570807-cps-vs-standard-elixr5-vs-db5-uploadfromtaptalk1452570807695.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020
Out west
My
Depends on the calipers, if you have CPS caliper (for example Guide RE or old Code) you'll need cup washers, if you have standard caliper (for example new Code) you mount it without cup washers, see picture below. Normally they make PM on forks in a way that mounting surface is perpendicular to the wheel (and rotor) axis, if this for any reason is not the case and if you're mounting a standard caliper without cup washers then you may need to make corrections to the PM or PM adapter mounting surface using Disc Brake Mount Facing Set.

1042058d1452570807-cps-vs-standard-elixr5-vs-db5-uploadfromtaptalk1452570807695.jpg
Cool thanks! I was a little confused. I have 2 bikes one w 2017 Pike the other w 2020 yari. They both are set up different. One with CPS the other just little flat black washers. I just realized that they get different washer set ups as one is 180 rotor, the levo has a 200..... Both are running the same Guide caliper. Not REs.

I'm gonna take the 200 and replace the 180 on my Evil. The 220 goes on the Levo. Think I got it now, Thanks!

Keithbickford

Jun 10, 2020
Seattle
Here is my setup. It is working just fine but there is a chance that I have not installed it correctly. One pic shows the adapter I am using. Note that there is another type that just consists of spacers. The rounded head bolts came on the bike. The knurled bolts are the 30mm M6. The other pic shows that the 30mm bolt just fills the threads on the adapter. I only have the cupped washers on one side so 30mm works for me. With cupped washers on both sides 35mm may be correct but the spacing to the rotor may not be correct.. Since the bolts are lock tighted in I did not want to take things apart to measure the length of the original bolts.
Let me know if I have screwed something up.

View attachment 23474

View attachment 23475
It looks like you didn’t need the cup and cone washers at all, and putting them on the outside of the mount is the reason you needed longer bolts.

Apr 26, 2020
Out west
Hopefully this link posts correctly. I grabbed it from the cross linked thread that Dirk was nice enough to cross reference. The brake mount is complicated by the fact that the setup is different for the same calipers depending on the rotor size and bracket used.

Also Sram sells mixed up parts to OEMs that don't match what's sold to the public. My base levo has Level T levers but they (thankfully) specd a 4 pot Guide caliper in front. It's not marked Guide, but that's what it is....

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
I just converted my front rotor on my 2019 S-Works from 200mm to 220mm. It took some research to get the conversion right so I wanted to share what I did.

220mm Rotor: SRAM CenterLine 220mm 6-bolt Disc Rotor with Rounded Edge

40mm Adapter: Avid/SRAM Disc 40mm Post-Mount Adaptor, Fits 200mm Front and 180mm Rear Rotors

The adapter converts the 180mm post mount on the fork to 220mm. The bike came with a 20mm adapter for the standard 200mm. If your fork is a 180mm post mount then the 40mm adapter will be the right size for the 220mm rotor.
The adapter comes with the screws to mount the itself to the fork but does not include the screws to mount the caliper to the adapter. I measured carefully and bought some M6-1.00 30mm stainless steel hex head cap screws. The size was perfect. The adapter threads were completely filled with screw without any excess.

On my first ride today I spent much of my time getting the rotor bedded in. After that the brake felt great. The brake is noticeably stronger and the bike is more in control on very steep descents. I expect it to get a bit stronger as it continues to bed in.

Recommended!
What brand/model brakes do you have?

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
You aren’t heavy at 85kg, I have another ebike on you. Besides,, if you’re skidding involuntarily on a 200mm rotor it’s likely a control issue.
Just SRAM brakes - powerful as anything but on or off.

Yes, 200mm rotor is 1,8mm while 220mm rotor is 2,0mm ...
Haven't checked the thickness of the Shimano rotors but I expect they are 2mm. These 220 rotors might alleviate the SRAM Squeal.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles