• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Spiked tyres width

Anders

Subscriber
Oct 11, 2023
Norway
Hello,

As I am new to everything eMtb, I have another question for you experienced riders.
Here in Norway, winter is here with snow on the ground. When it (the snow) arrived, I felt that I needed to continue using my Haibike, even if its slippery.

The bike has 29"x2.60 tyres OEM (Nobby Nic), and my question is:
Should I go for the same width when bying spiked tyres?
There is a local shop with 30% off on the Schwalbe 29x2.25 Ice spiker Pro, but I presume I should stick to 2.60 widt even if those are more expensive right now?

Any other reccomendations? I presume my use will be commuting (icy / paved roads) and local forest roads ranging from hard ice to perhaps 10 cm of snow.

Last edited:

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
The 2.25 spike tyres should be fine. Rode similar Hakkapalitta spiked tires on my town bike for years when I lived in cold country. Adjust your psi according to your weight and riding style the lower the better.

IMG_0323.JPG

If you are riding in deeper snow they will still work but at some point there is no tire that will work and it is time to break out the XC skiis!

Anders

Subscriber
Oct 11, 2023
Norway
I put on my 2.25 wide Schalbe Ice Spiker Pro tyres during the weekend and did my first ride. It vent well as long as it was quite hard, and that about covers it for me. I have no plans going out in the deep snow.
Thanks for all advices!

2023-11-19_18_25_07_886_1.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles