• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered A question about Rim Width

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Trying to work out the possible widths of tyre I could use. Currently have 2.6 Nobby Nic.

My rim specifications are as follows..

CUBE EX30, 32H, Disc, Tubeless Ready

What do those numbers mean?

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
You should have some other numbers on that rim. Something like 32-622 (for a 29" wheel with a 32mm inside bead) or 32-584 for a 27 rim. (Can't remember is that's the right one for 27.5 rims, but it's the width that's important for you).

Here's a useful chart - just make sure you look at the mountain bike section...

Edit: Just realised that you have quoted those numbers off the Cube website. Both wheel sizes are available and so they haven't quoted the full rim information. It's almost certain that the 32H refers to the rim width.

Last edited:

JimBo

E*POWAH Elite
Jan 3, 2019
Western MA, USA
Thanks,
So presumably the 30 is the internal width?
If this is the case then I assume I can use any tyre from 2.2 to 2.7 according to this chart....

Tire Size Chart For Bicycle Rim
Those are preferred width matches. A friend of mine rides 2.8" tires on 19c rims - he sacrificed "cornering stability" for better cushioning.

Here's a graphic to illustrate:
iu

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Trying to work out the possible widths of tyre I could use. Currently have 2.6 Nobby Nic.

My rim specifications are as follows..

CUBE EX30, 32H, Disc, Tubeless Ready

What do those numbers mean?

OK .. I've read the post now ..

I think you can use any width. But I wouldn't risk putting a tyre on which is skinnier than your rim as you're more likely to scuff your rim or burp the tyre off.

The size of the rim doesn't limit what size of tyre you can use.

The size of the rim will influence how the tyre of whatever size you choose will perform.

So the real question is, what size tyre do you want and why.

Which leads to the proper question, of what size tyre would actually be the right size tyre for you taking into account your rim width.

I prefer all my other answers though.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
It should be written on the wheel rim. Cube are a German company. I can't imagine that they would send out their bikes without the rims having the required ETRTO sizing on them. They wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

Yes you are right it was written on the wheel rim but the writing was so small I had to magnify with phone to read it ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles