• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Trying Clipless again...no spikes Mallet Enduro?

A06

Mar 9, 2023
Corona, CA
OK so I do have some history with clipless but those were SPD's and 20 years ago. I got back into Mtb in 2019 and as I was more focused on DH I returned to biking on flats.

My reason to try to get back to clipless is I want a repeatable for position and for my feet to be a bit more secure to better aid in maneuvering the bike around. I was intrigued by the magpeds but they never interfaced well with my shoes.

Yes changing to a shoe listed on the magped site as being compatible with the pedals would have been an option but I'm partial to my Leatt DH shoes and others I've tried just dont seem to offer the same degree of protection and support.

I just purchased the Crank Bros Mallet E and I'm trying to set them up as they required a bit of shimming to engage.

My question for all is that as of right now with the pins removed the engagement seems perfect and plenty of support from the platform to prevent hot spots which was my objection to running the more simplistic pedals such as egg beaters. So is there any reason to not remove the spikes? I think eventualy once I get comfortable I will gradualy raise the spikes but for now it seems like one more thing to cause me to not be able to easily get out of the pedal. Also I did install the 10 degree release 6 degree float cleats.

Any advice is welcomed.

A06

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
what a faff! Go back to flats!! Good flat pedals with 5-10s or similar (soles) gives you all the security you would ever need on an MTB in my opinion ( you have to lift your foot to get off the pedal, no way it is moving otherwise!).....and why would you want a repeatable foot position when it is a benefit to be able to go a little forward or back on the pedal depending on the terrain? I tend to go further towards the ball of my feet if on tame, flat terrain with the saddle fully up..........otherwise more with the centre of my feet over the pedal axle, especially downhill.

A06

Mar 9, 2023
Corona, CA
Well I've been using 5.10's and flats for the last 3 years and I want a repeatable foot position. Bugs the hell out of me when I remount and drop in and have to shift my foot around. Especially because the shoe and pedal combo doesn't afford much adjustment short of raising foot to reposition. If I can simply clip in and have my feet exactly where I prefer them it would be one less thing to think about.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
My question for all is that as of right now with the pins removed the engagement seems perfect and plenty of support from the platform to prevent hot spots which was my objection to running the more simplistic pedals such as egg beaters. So is there any reason to not remove the spikes? I think eventualy once I get comfortable I will gradualy raise the spikes but for now it seems like one more thing to cause me to not be able to easily get out of the pedal. Also I did install the 10 degree release 6 degree float cleats.

Any advice is welcomed.

A06
If your happy without the pins, then ride that way and add them in if needed when you become comfortable.

I used my emtb for a year with flats (all my other bikes have SPDs) and 3 months ago added SPD's on my Rail. Clipless is the best without a doubt in my mind.

Robstyle

Nov 17, 2021
New Zealand
I initially wound the pins in on my mallets, but figured it would wear the sole quicker (for ease of release) so put them back out. Absolutely mint now. Easy to get out, grip if I miss clipping in.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
OK so I do have some history with clipless but those were SPD's and 20 years ago. I got back into Mtb in 2019 and as I was more focused on DH I returned to biking on flats.

My reason to try to get back to clipless is I want a repeatable for position and for my feet to be a bit more secure to better aid in maneuvering the bike around. I was intrigued by the magpeds but they never interfaced well with my shoes.

Yes changing to a shoe listed on the magped site as being compatible with the pedals would have been an option but I'm partial to my Leatt DH shoes and others I've tried just dont seem to offer the same degree of protection and support.

I just purchased the Crank Bros Mallet E and I'm trying to set them up as they required a bit of shimming to engage.

Any advice is welcomed.

A06
The best way of using CrankBrothers Mallet Pedals is to use them with their own Crankbrothers shoes. The interface is perfect without any shimming required. Every single time I use the CB pedals with other brand shoes they require a bit of shimming and winding the pins to make sure they have a good contact (not too much pin otherwise release is much harder)

Ideally with your current setup you want to have a platform, and usually the pins prove that, and those pins stick into the shoes so there's not too much float / movement. But you may just find that you get a setup that works with the pins removed. Personally, I really prefer the pinned in feel that the pins provide.

Good flat pedals with 5-10s or similar (soles) gives you all the security you would ever need on an MTB in my opinion ( you have to lift your foot to get off the pedal, no way it is moving otherwise!)
When you get your foot blown off on a techy DH steep you'll soon realise that flats are no match for a proper clipless pedal in some situations.

I use both flats and clips, but on my local techy DH off piste stuff, flats simply cannot provide the same level of security that being connected to the bike has, even the sticky 5-10's and big pins.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The best way of using CrankBrothers Mallet Pedals is to use them with their own Crankbrothers shoes. The interface is perfect without any shimming required. Every single time I use the CB pedals with other brand shoes they require a bit of shimming and winding the pins to make sure they have a good contact (not too much pin otherwise release is much harder)

Ideally with your current setup you want to have a platform, and usually the pins prove that, and those pins stick into the shoes so there's not too much float / movement. But you may just find that you get a setup that works with the pins removed. Personally, I really prefer the pinned in feel that the pins provide.

When you get your foot blown off on a techy DH steep you'll soon realise that flats are no match for a proper clipless pedal in some situations.

I use both flats and clips, but on my local techy DH off piste stuff, flats simply cannot provide the same level of security that being connected to the bike has, even the sticky 5-10's and big pins.
each to their own preference and style!!
Personally I have never lost footing even on the gnarliest downhill so have no incentive to use cleats. I did try clip in once out of curiosity, and hated both the shoes and not being a ble to move my foot to different pedal positions. I also found the majority of cleats/shoes combos tended to be positioned too far towards the roadie, balls of the foot position, for my liking. The only time I lost footing on flats was when I first started more serious jumps some years ago, and that was due to poor technique, not allowing the bike to come up towards me with flexible knees.

I wonder as well if folk that lose footing on flats are finding the best shoe/pedal combination. Personally I prefer a concave pedal platform with semi flexible shoe (e.g. 5-10 freeriders) and specifically look for that when buying pedals ( e.g. DMR/ Spank).
Always an interesting debate on flats v SPD!!

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Clips for me everytime. My pedal of preference is the ht x3. I previously had the T1s but find I enjoy the extra platform of the x3 and so far don't see the need for pins. Also I find it quicker to dab with clips as you just need to slide your foot as apposed to needing to raise your foot first with flats. Crank bros shoes with cleats slammed back work best for me

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles