Specialized Turbo Levo Alloy vs. Gaint Trance X E+ Pro 29 3

RobG

Apr 27, 2022
Fulltime RV
Hi folks... I'm new here, and this is my first post. I hope this is the right place for it.

I used to ride all the time way back in 2001, until I crashed and broke my collarbone. Then I moved and got into powersports. Now I'm 53 and nowhere near in as good a shape as I was.

I'm on the verge of buying an e-bike. I've narrowed it down to the Specialized Turbo Levo Alloy and the Gaint Trance X E+ Pro 29. In fact, the Specialized is my first choice, but I've been unable to get financing on it. So I currently have a Giant waiting for me to pick up, but I can cancel that deal and find another way to get the Specialized if my mind gets changed.

Which brings the question -- what do you guys think? What I've noted about them:

Giant has 625 wh battery vs 500
Giant is almost entirely Shimano vs SRAM
Giant has FOX float rear shock
Both have identical forks
Specialized has more power (90 nM vs 80)
Specialized has a better control module with more settings etc
Giant is already using Tubeless tires
Specialized has a shorter chainstay due to the rear 27.5 wheel
The geometry between the two appears to be nearly identical
The two bikes appear to be within a half pound of one another in total weight
Suspension travel is nearly identical (140 rear Giant, 150 rear Spec, 150 front both)

The videos I've seen say the Giant is a fantastic bike that's amazing up and downhill. One written review I saw said it was too narrow in purpose and wasn't all that much fun because the front end sticks to the ground or something. This is the review I'm talking about: GIANT Trance X E+ 1 in review – Powerful motor + huge battery = Best Buy?

'Course at my age, I'm not going to be one of those super fast, full-send types of rider. At least not for a while.

So I'm curious what you guys think... thanks.

Rob

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
Hi folks... I'm new here, and this is my first post. I hope this is the right place for it.

I used to ride all the time way back in 2001, until I crashed and broke my collarbone. Then I moved and got into powersports. Now I'm 53 and nowhere near in as good a shape as I was.

I'm on the verge of buying an e-bike. I've narrowed it down to the Specialized Turbo Levo Alloy and the Gaint Trance X E+ Pro 29. In fact, the Specialized is my first choice, but I've been unable to get financing on it. So I currently have a Giant waiting for me to pick up, but I can cancel that deal and find another way to get the Specialized if my mind gets changed.

Which brings the question -- what do you guys think? What I've noted about them:

Giant has 625 wh battery vs 500
Giant is almost entirely Shimano vs SRAM
Giant has FOX float rear shock
Both have identical forks
Specialized has more power (90 nM vs 80)
Specialized has a better control module with more settings etc
Giant is already using Tubeless tires
Specialized has a shorter chainstay due to the rear 27.5 wheel
The geometry between the two appears to be nearly identical
The two bikes appear to be within a half pound of one another in total weight
Suspension travel is nearly identical (140 rear Giant, 150 rear Spec, 150 front both)

The videos I've seen say the Giant is a fantastic bike that's amazing up and downhill. One written review I saw said it was too narrow in purpose and wasn't all that much fun because the front end sticks to the ground or something. This is the review I'm talking about: GIANT Trance X E+ 1 in review – Powerful motor + huge battery = Best Buy?

'Course at my age, I'm not going to be one of those super fast, full-send types of rider. At least not for a while.

So I'm curious what you guys think... thanks.

Rob

i prefer the specialized in this scenario. they have a great warranty program and with eMTB...something is bound to happen. replacement parts are widely available and turnaround for approvals is very quick.

the Levo is tubeless ready and comes with tubeless valves. just need to remove the tubes, swap valves, and add sealant (shop can do this quick if you don't want the task). shorter chainstay is a good option on eMTB and makes the bike more agile.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Neither.........shell out the extra for the Levo Comp Ally.
No comparison between the Levo and Giant in terms of geo/riding performance or warranty

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
better shock, better fork, better drivetrain, better brakes, better dropper post..............and 700w/h battery.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Since you are financing the bike, be aware the giant warranty is not transferable if / when you decide to sell it. So if , eg, interest rates go up or your financial situation changes it's going to be harder to sell a 1 week old giant with no warranty.

Don't read into the extra " power" - those are peak torque figures, not power output. It's advertising . There are differences in how they deliver support across the cadence range but you are only going to notice this swapping between bikes .

Same with battery whatevers - in the real world most of us learn to adapt our riding styles so we can get the range needed from our batteries.( Unless you are the type of person walking down the road with a jerry can )

RobG

Apr 27, 2022
Fulltime RV
I've made the decision... Giant is out. I'm going to get the Specialized. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to afford the extra $2k for the Levo Comp Alloy, but I'm not sure I can pull it off. I love the Sage Green color too, but I may just be settling for the black Levo Alloy. I agree you get a lot for the extra $2k, but financing options are extremely limited.

I appreciate all the input from everybody!! I'm glad to see an e-bike specific site, and not just a sub-site of somewhere like MTBR.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
I've made the decision... Giant is out. I'm going to get the Specialized. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to afford the extra $2k for the Levo Comp Alloy, but I'm not sure I can pull it off. I love the Sage Green color too, but I may just be settling for the black Levo Alloy. I agree you get a lot for the extra $2k, but financing options are extremely limited.

I appreciate all the input from everybody!! I'm glad to see an e-bike specific site, and not just a sub-site of somewhere like MTBR.

The base model will feel amazing after your old bike, and you will only regret borrowing that extra 2K if you ride a higher spec bike

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles