Kenevo Gen1 Specialized Turbo Kenevo owners please help me

marcellistudios

Aug 3, 2020
Canada
Hey Everyone,
I'm in the market for an EMTB. I think I've narrowed my search down to either a YT Decoy or a Turbo Kenevo Comp.. I would love to hear the pros and cons from anyone owns a Kenevo as I want to make sure I'm as educated as possible when I drop my money down.

My main concerns are:
1. Motor feel when riding and power delivery (smooth, rough?) and reliability
2. and over all handling and reliability of the bike as a whole.

thank you so much!

Salespunk

Jul 27, 2020
Encinitas, CA
I have several hundred miles on my Kenevo. The power delivery is excellent and highly tunable unlike a lot of the other systems available. Overall reliability has been OK on my bike. My TCU went out and had to replaced under warranty which took about 10 days. Other than that my bike has been. On the handling side, the bike is a monster. I have ridden it with both 275 and 29 setups and it just smashes through everything. The Decoy is closer to the Levo than the Kenevo with the HA and a few other measurements, but closer to the reach of the Kenevo.

marcellistudios

Aug 3, 2020
Canada
I have several hundred miles on my Kenevo. The power delivery is excellent and highly tunable unlike a lot of the other systems available. Overall reliability has been OK on my bike. My TCU went out and had to replaced under warranty which took about 10 days. Other than that my bike has been. On the handling side, the bike is a monster. I have ridden it with both 275 and 29 setups and it just smashes through everything. The Decoy is closer to the Levo than the Kenevo with the HA and a few other measurements, but closer to the reach of the Kenevo.
Hey thanks for the feedback. What do you mean by HA? I’m still learning. Are you on the comp or the expert?

marcellistudios

Aug 3, 2020
Canada
Would you say the Decoy is in a much different category then the kenevo? It looks to be a strong enduro/dh (all around) bike.

Salespunk

Jul 27, 2020
Encinitas, CA
The head angle. You really need steep/rough terrain to use the Kenevo. The Kenevo geometry is close to that of a DH bike. If your local trails tend to a little bit mellower the Decoy might be a better choice. I do think they are different categories of bike even though YT markets the Decoy like the Kenevo. It is actually closer to the Levo. You can see it when you put the numbers side by side

Kenevo/Decoy/Levo

Head Angle 64/66/66
Reach 495/455/462
Wheel Base 1293/1235/1235

I would continue, but you can see the trend here. Comparisons are S4/Lg/Lg frame sizes. The Decoy lines up almost exactly with the Levo on almost every measurement.

marcellistudios

Aug 3, 2020
Canada
The head angle. You really need steep/rough terrain to use the Kenevo. The Kenevo geometry is close to that of a DH bike. If your local trails tend to a little bit mellower the Decoy might be a better choice. I do think they are different categories of bike even though YT markets the Decoy like the Kenevo. It is actually closer to the Levo. You can see it when you put the numbers side by side

Kenevo/Decoy/Levo

Head Angle 64/66/66
Reach 495/455/462
Wheel Base 1293/1235/1235

I would continue, but you can see the trend here. Comparisons are S4/Lg/Lg frame sizes. The Decoy lines up almost exactly with the Levo on almost every measurement.
Thank you so much that makes total sense

Peko

Sep 23, 2018
Germany
You really need steep/rough terrain to use the Kenevo

Can't agree here.

I have a 17Levo and a 20 Kenevo and mostly I ride the Levo on technical and playful trails and shorter ride-outs.
Somehow I prefer my Kenevo on longer rides... And of course on steep downhill stuff. ?
I feel more comfortable on it.?‍♂️

Last edited:

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Have you considered the X-Wing? -19 Kenevo geometry is much more like the Decoy.

Probably my favourite bike of all and according to all reports, considerably more reliable.

20- Kenevo-19 KenevoDecoyLevo
Head Angle 64656666
Reach 495455455462
Wheel Base1293123312351235

Adam Thomas

Apr 25, 2020
Wollongong Australia
I own a 2019 Kenevo Expert and its a bruiser with 180mm travel it tackles steep chunky downhills and takes it all in its stride. Im hitting pretty decent bike park doubles with no problems at all. No its not flickable and agile like a Levo . So I would suggest you should consider the terrain you wish to ride. Also a massive thing to consider is warranty . From my own personal experience Spesh are just brilliant at looking after there riders .

panaphonic

Apr 24, 2020
New Zealand
Remember that the Kenevo has a flip chip that can raise the bb and steepen the head angle. Also combine that with a slightly firmer spring and it makes for quite an agile ride (for a 24kg eMtb).

Reliability is good but a 4 year warranty is good too.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles