Specialized Levo - pedals not spinning freely in reverse

ped

Aug 7, 2018
germany
Peter...thanks for the update... i did the 'repair' when i got your first message and my cranks turn without friction and with no perceptible 'play' to the axle. I'll just have to ride it til it gives up but your mates extra 6months and still going is encouraging.
Bearingsman... your advice is also most appreciated and if (maybe when?) i need a full on repair ill be in contact...i presume you are in the UK but can you give your website for more contact details please...just in case!

Hi lolp,
if you are interested in the inner construction of your brose motor, have a look here:
Brose im Detail
Oldman54 did a very useful job and performed a dismantling of a brose motor.
cheers
Peter

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Whickham, Newcastle upon Tyne
I recently went to replace my Kenevo chain ring as it was 'holding' on to the new chain. With the chain removed bottom bracket bearing play was more obvious, rocking crank arms - produced a slight knock), also slight roughness when turning - crank arms were correctly torqued. Bike has done 1000 miles in 6 months. Awaiting warranty claim with Specialized for potential motor replacement. The seals on these bearings don't seem properly designed to keep out dirt/moisture considering these are fitted to a an offroad bike! More of a concern once out of warranty. How long are people getting from their motors?

lolp

Apr 5, 2019
london england
I recently went to replace my Kenevo chain ring as it was 'holding' on to the new chain. With the chain removed bottom bracket bearing play was more obvious, rocking crank arms - produced a slight knock), also slight roughness when turning - crank arms were correctly torqued. Bike has done 1000 miles in 6 months. Awaiting warranty claim with Specialized for potential motor replacement. The seals on these bearings don't seem properly designed to keep out dirt/moisture considering these are fitted to a an offroad bike! More of a concern once out of warranty. How long are people getting from their motors?

18 months and 2000m .... so far?

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I’ve just clicked over 6000km in 14 months. I had some bearing noise and roughness but this now seems to have disappeared. This has only happened after it sticking and binding up 3 weeks back. Now free, smooth and noise free. I expect it to return, as something must be going on in there.

lolp

Apr 5, 2019
london england
I’ve just clicked over 6000km in 14 months. I had some bearing noise and roughness but this now seems to have disappeared. This has only happened after it sticking and binding up 3 weeks back. Now free, smooth and noise free. I expect it to return, as something must be going on in there.

Im over 2 months on since mine was binding...used 30+ miles per ride once per week

Jun 12, 2020
lake Tahoe
Crank resistance: I own both a 2020 Levo Sl and Turbo Levo. I read there the SL has little or no pedaling resistance through the cranks. To test this, I spin the cranks backwards (motor off, stationary). There is noticeable resistance on my SL cranks where the cranks will only spin maybe 1/2/-3/4 of a turn. Applying the same test to my Turbo levo the cranks will rotate at least several revolutions , while offering little or no resistance. Obviously the Levo motor is belt drive, while the SL uses gears.

Is this level of crank resistance typical for the Levo Sl? Or do I perhaps have a specific issue with my particular bike?
Input appreciated!

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Whickham, Newcastle upon Tyne
Crank resistance: I own both a 2020 Levo Sl and Turbo Levo. I read there the SL has little or no pedaling resistance through the cranks. To test this, I spin the cranks backwards (motor off, stationary). There is noticeable resistance on my SL cranks where the cranks will only spin maybe 1/2/-3/4 of a turn. Applying the same test to my Turbo levo the cranks will rotate at least several revolutions , while offering little or no resistance. Obviously the Levo motor is belt drive, while the SL uses gears.

Is this level of crank resistance typical for the Levo Sl? Or do I perhaps have a specific issue with my particular bike?
Input appreciated!
Can't advise on your specific issue as I haven't got an SL but I would think both motors have some sort of freehub/clutch mechanism that disengages the motor from the cranks when pedaling backwards. The important thing is the resistance when pedaling forwards which is what Specialized are talking about. And I think either with the motor off or once you exceed the assistance speed limit. Have you tried that?

Jun 12, 2020
lake Tahoe
Can't advise on your specific issue as I haven't got an SL but I would think both motors have some sort of freehub/clutch mechanism that disengages the motor from the cranks when pedaling backwards. The important thing is the resistance when pedaling forwards which is what Specialized are talking about. And I think either with the motor off or once you exceed the assistance speed limit. Have you tried that?

Thanks but no, this is not a clutch issue. I would take another Levo SL owner to comment by trying the same test. What I am referring the the bike being turned off and static. The cranks obviously rotate freely in reverse, and the gears can be heard turning as one would expect. the issue I am referencing is that the bottom bracket to have noticeable drag or resistance, similar to a analog bottom bracket that is too tight. Therefore, if the BB is creating resistance, I believe it affects the pedaling efficiency.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
The SL motor has better seals and you can't have seals without friction. I would take seals and friction any day of the week over a free spinning motor that lets the water and dust in.

Moots YBB

Dec 18, 2018
Brussels
When the bike won’t roll backwards it’s usually the end of the motor. Just did a motor swap for a customer yesterday, that had the same problem, sure we would all like to have nothing go wrong, but they have taken care of everything my customers have had issues with. Parts wear out, parts can break and sometimes they wear out prematurely. No motor manufacturer or bike brand has the exclusive on that.

i have the same problem, and my new motor is ONE day old

Moots YBB

Dec 18, 2018
Brussels
ok i found out why, the drive side crank was in contact with the ring that holds the chainring into place, when i removed the crank the chainring was wobly, so i assume that the ring became loose and cause the friction with the crank, all i can say, if you feel any resistance pedalling backwards, stop immediately, and get it fixed, or do it yourself if you have the correct equipement, because this will damage the crank, in my case it did in just a couple of minutes.

Last edited:

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Hi
I’ve got two levos bought late 2016 and early 2017 both have had similar problems
Mine gets used every day commuting to work off road and my wife’s is used twice a week at least The motors on both bikes become noisy and eventually fail
I’m on no 7 motor and no7 battery my wife is on battery no 2 and just had motor no3 fit
I’m on frame no 2 now
The service from specialized has been excellent but I’m fed up with taking them back
For the record I’ve never used a pressure washer
We are now looking to buy another two bikes as the Levos are out of warranty and I’m not sure what will happen next time
I’d be interested to know how much a motor is to buy
Best of luck
I had the same bike for 5 years , I’ve changed the motor 7 times the battery 7 times and the frame twice !
TRIGGER TIME ?

Kiwibloke

Feb 27, 2021
Kent
I'm glad I read all of the comments before tipping my bike on its side and dripping oil in, I had this problem a few days ago, posted it but didn't get a reply, glad you did, I'll call my shop now and will keep folk updated.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles