Other Spec Levo Gen 4 expected release year

ebikeZA

Apr 2, 2018
Cape Town
I know this might a little pre-mature.
But Im about to spend a lot of money of a new gen3 (Pro)

How long has the current Gen 3 been out when is the expected launch of the Gen 4 ? or a Updated Gen 3 (not talking about just a spec bump, but new features bump)

Don't want to buy the bike and 3 months later there is a new one.
If you say maybe Nine month then Ill bite the bullet.

faberle

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2021
France Haute Savoie
I know this might a little pre-mature.
But Im about to spend a lot of money of a new gen3 (Pro)

How long has the current Gen 3 been out when is the expected launch of the Gen 4 ? or a Updated Gen 3 (not talking about just a spec bump, but new features bump)

Don't want to buy the bike and 3 months later there is a new one.
If you say maybe Nine month then Ill bite the bullet.
I had the same question earlier this year and ended up getting a Gen 3 (new one with XO transmission and stealth brakes). Let's see next year what happens. By then I will have enjoyed an amazing year with Gen3, which I would not have had if I waited for Gen4. Life gets shorter every day ;)

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
It comes out in 2025, has anti-gravity cores which reduce the weight by 7kg, completely automatic shifting, self-inflating tires, anti-lock brakes, and 10 inches of travel front and rear. The runflat tires never require sealant, the brakes operate wirelessly with no cables/hoses on the bike at all. And the price has been reduced by 34%.

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
Reckon they will ditch the side strut like the SL and motor and battery change. Same brand new model, maybe 720wh battery. Cant see massive frame changes happening, i think it will all be in motor design

ebikeZA

Apr 2, 2018
Cape Town
I suspect they will go Sram motor and system (with larger battery) since they have mice tune, they can use the range and rally modes of sram but incorporate microtune.
Only thing I would like (which I think they can already implement if they wanted to is coast shifting for transmission.

Stue007

Jan 3, 2024
Germany
I assume Specialized will go for the new Brose Drive³ Peak motor: 95nm, up to 600w peak power, 250w consistent power, 410% support, 2.9 kg and -15 % in size, 48 V system. Regarding the battery Brose showed different sizes (e.g. 814wh, 486wh) at Eurobike 2023 fair, also an integrated control display for the frame (top tube) and a sophisticated app. Brose tries to be more attractive for the OEM's as a complete system supplier, obviously (keeping R&D costs of OEM down). The new motor is still in the field testing phase as could be read in several articles around Eurobike 2023 and will be available for market launch in spring 2024.

Maybe Brose again has closed a deal with Specialized to deliver this new package exclusively for at least 6 month or so as it was the case if I remember correctly with the first gen motors on the occasion of the Levo series market launch.

Maybe Specialized and SRAM will be combining that with the new transmission and auto shift system. That could lead to a competitive advantage and unique selling proposition Specialized always strives for. If the new Brose motor is quiet enough that would be a dream combination and opens up many possibilities for Specialized product engineers to design a frame with a much slimmer bottom bracket. That can lead to shorter chain stays if viable, optimized shock positioning and optimized pivot point/elevation curve of the rear frame and overall more attractive/esthetic frame design (less clunky bottom bracket).

I believe we will see a Gen 4 Levo announced in Spring, because the competition is getting strong and a slicker motor without the belt but also comparable quiet could be what Specialized needs to stay in the peer group or even be ahead.

Only Specialized knows, we will see...

Last edited:

ebikeZA

Apr 2, 2018
Cape Town
I assume Specialized will go for the new Brose Drive³ Peak motor: 95nm, up to 600w peak power, 250w consistent power, 410% support, 2.9 kg and -15 % in size, 48 V system. Regarding the battery Brose showed different sizes (e.g. 814wh, 486wh) at Eurobike 2023 fair, also an integrated control display for the frame (top tube) and a sophisticated app. Brose tries to be more attractive for the OEM's as a complete system supplier, obviously (keeping R&D costs of OEM down). The new motor is still in the field testing phase as could be read in several articles around Eurobike 2023 and will be available for market launch in spring 2024.

Maybe Brose again has closed a deal with Specialized to deliver this new package exclusively for at least 6 month or so as it was the case if I remember correctly with the first gen motors on the occasion of the Levo series market launch.

Maybe Specialized and SRAM will be combining that with the new transmission and auto shift system. That could lead to a competitive advantage and unique selling proposition Specialized always strives for. If the new Brose motor is quiet enough that would be a dream combination and opens up many possibilities for Specialized product engineers to design a frame with a much slimmer bottom bracket. That can lead to shorter chain stays if viable and optimized shock positioning, optimized elevation curve of the rear frame and overall more attractive/esthetic frame design.

I believe we will see a Gen 4 Levo announced in Spring, because the competition is getting strong and a slicker motor without the belt, but also comparable quiet could be what Specialized needs to stay in the peer group or even be ahead.

You have convinced me to stick with my gen 2 and wait for the gen4, was about to purchase a gen 3.
Even if 1/2 of what you say is true, It will be worth the wait as there is still nothing wrong with my gen2

Stue007

Jan 3, 2024
Germany
Overall just my speculation. For myself I am waiting, too. I will ride my trusty 2018 Expert Fattie Carbon with Gen 1.3 motor for another season.

The Gen 3 is for sure a fantastic bike and is part of my evoked set, too. Since it was announced in 2021 and recognizing Specialized's product cycle of 3 years on average I think it's worth waiting and ride what we have.

Last edited:

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Hmm, Stues posts are getting repeatedly removed, it looks like it may be some truth in them 😅
If Gen4 will be really based on suggested new motor platform (I also believe so 😅) they will likely not use standard Brose battery and display but they will keep it Spesh specific, same as every gen so far. Then the battery will likely have different capacity than 814/486wh, I believe more like around 750wh .... Also custom motor tune/firmware most probably. If Spesh really decided to keep Brose as main motor supplier, then I'm pretty sure new motors will have very little in common with current (less reliable) 2.x motors ... Spesh just cannot afford to let the new gen inherit problems of 2.x motors so I'm sure now Brose had to 100% convince them, that new motors will not fail in the same/similar/any way as before ... Spesh already lost too many customers because of current Brose 2.x motors.

I also hope for a wireless remote (with backup mode selection button still on a display) on Gen4. I believe Transmission Groupset will be only on a high-end models.

Last edited:

etoni

E*POWAH Elite
Sep 3, 2018
Thun Switzerland

Maybe Specialized and SRAM will be combining that with the new transmission and auto shift system. That could lead to a competitive advantage and unique selling proposition Specialized always strives for. If the new Brose motor is quiet enough that would be a dream combination and opens up many possibilities for Specialized product engineers to design a frame with a much slimmer bottom bracket. That can lead to shorter chain stays if viable, optimized shock positioning and optimized pivot point/elevation curve of the rear frame and overall more attractive/esthetic frame design (less clunky bottom bracket).

I believe we will see a Gen 4 Levo announced in Spring, because the competition is getting strong and a slicker motor without the belt but also comparable quiet could be what Specialized needs to stay in the peer group or even be ahead.

most new FF auto shift motor combos are brose belt, like sram propaine...

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
I wonder how G5 will be guessing better than earlier versions so I have decided to wait for it or maybe G6 is better to wait for.

Stue007

Jan 3, 2024
Germany
most new FF auto shift motor combos are brose belt, like sram propaine...
Good point and I don't know how likely it is that SRAM also has a cooperation started to transfer the new transmission auto shift system to the new Brose motor. It sounds reasonable for me to get this innovation ready with the new Brose motor, too.

The development of SRAM in cooperation with Brose and selected bike brands had to utilize the already available Brose gen 2.2 motor, to ensure market launch of the new bikes still in 2023. The development process must have started with an appropriate lead time.

Could be likely that such a process is going on with Specialized too, but this time with new Brose motor. Of course, just pure speculation and wishful thinking. Could be that Specialized is going a complete different route. That is why speculation is fun, but also a bit of a waste of time. :)

Stue007

Jan 3, 2024
Germany
Hmm, Stues posts are getting repeatedly removed, it looks like it may be some truth in them 😅
If Gen4 will be really based on suggested new motor platform (I also believe so 😅) they will likely not use standard Brose battery and display but they will keep it Spesh specific, same as every gen so far. Then the battery will likely have different capacity than 814/486wh, I believe more like around 750wh .... Also custom motor tune/firmware most probably. If Spesh really decided to keep Brose as main motor supplier, then I'm pretty sure new motors will have very little in common with current (less reliable) 2.x motors ... Spesh just cannot afford to let the new gen inherit problems of 2.x motors so I'm sure now Brose had to 100% convince them, that new motors will not fail in the same/similar/any way as before ... Spesh already lost too many customers because of current Brose 2.x motors.

I also hope for a wireless remote (with backup mode selection button still on a display) on Gen4. I believe Transmission Groupset will be only on a high-end models.
Yep, agree. In the past Brose must have been more flexible and open for brand specific requests, esp. towards Specialized as a big customer for them. To compete in the ebike market Brose has to offer integrative system components to match the demand of several smaller bike brands and esp. the mass market. To offer single components to Specialized vs. selling the whole eco system and helping customizing the software for motor response or mass customizing the battery, maybe be fine with a third party battery could be still a parallel strategy for Brose. For sure that will be a prerequisite for Brose to stay in business with Specialized. I think you are completely right in that regard.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
there comes a time in every product development where technology led innovation, especially where it adds little value, ceases to attract a significant market share. EMTBs have been a round for a quite a few years now and frame design/geo has largely settled into a pattern for all brands according to the bikes intended use. Where technology led innovation adds price and complexity as well as limiting options for DIY maintenance, it will attract only a minority of the potential market.
If Specialized follow the path hypothesized above it will likely move to a more niche market and cease to be a market leader in my opinion. What replaces the ability to truly innovate based on mass market rider NEEDS, is a price war.

One technology development that could disrupt the entire market is the MGU since it has the a bility to deliver not only innovation but also genuine rider benefit by replacing high maintenance items like chains, derailleurs and cassettes.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Personally, if spesh stick with Brose on the next iteration, I would need them to show confidence in their motor and give a 4 year warranty.

The rest of the bike is already super dialled, although I expect spesh to also come out with a bigger than 750wh battery.

Rider21

Mar 10, 2024
San diego
Hi, I am about to pull the plug and buy a turbo levo pro 2023, do you know if their are any updates or release date in the gen 4. It’s a lot of money and don’t want to make a mistake.

Money Pit

Subscriber
Jan 27, 2024
UK
Hi, I am about to pull the plug and buy a turbo levo pro 2023, do you know if their are any updates or release date in the gen 4. It’s a lot of money and don’t want to make a mistake.

If you bought a gen 4 levo you'd be spending thousands more anyway.

You should be able to find a good deal on a gen 3 and it will be a long wait until gen 4 would get priced so low.

mrhaboobi

Sep 17, 2023
New Zealand
I’m also really desperate to know. Looking at the ohlins model for myself. But I also have a few ohlins questions. I’d be a bit miffed if I bought that model and they released something new this month or next.

People say you’ll pay more for new models. Probably true. But they also assume current models are globally massively discounted. They are not. Locally 5-10% generally with limited choice of bikes. Mainly the lowest spec models unfortunately. Plus if there was a more reliable or different motor that would be interesting .

My lbs suggested something in two weeks. Didn’t elaborate. apparently nothing obvious on the pre order sheets. From reading between the lines if feels like there is a whole different bike coming. Not a Levo . Who knows. Just wish there was more transparency. A date even without specifics would help.
Hi, I am about to pull the plug and buy a turbo levo pro 2023, do you know if their are any updates or release date in the gen 4. It’s a lot of money and don’t want to make a mistake.l

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
Pretty sure from dealer talks it is a new levo. With ohlins model unless you love tinkering with suspension id avoid ohlins. Theyre amazing for tech heads and people who love fettling but for the average joe their a ball ache to set up and keep consistent.

Im sure someone will be along to doubt this but just basing it on one friend who has them knows what his doing and another who got them, then sold them finding they didnt suit his set and forget style.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles