• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Sound from front hub…video attached

Cubutti

Jul 6, 2023
FInland
How problematic can this be in the near future? My front hub (Shimano MT400-b) is making a bit noise, which I first thought was coming from the disc rotor rubbing against the brake pads. Bike is Cube Reaction Hybrid Race 625, driven ~1300km with it. I tried to take the hub apart but could not remove the end caps for the life of me, so just put it back as it was and decided to deal with it later.

Video here:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
No end caps on that hub. Remove the brake rotor. You then need cone spanners to remove the axle and service the cup and cone bearings. Lots of videos on yt to guide you.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Newman front hub. That doesn’t sound or look good. I agree with @Mikerb, the bearings need replacing.

There may be specialty tools required (bearing punch and/or bearing extractor), or you could use the caveman method which I wouldn’t recommend. The bearing are relatively cheap and a YouTube video is available for the Newman brand of front hub.

Cubutti

Jul 6, 2023
FInland
No end caps on that hub. Remove the brake rotor. You then need cone spanners to remove the axle and service the cup and cone bearings. Lots of videos on yt to guide you.
Cube website lists my front hub as Shimano HB-MT400-B, but in the hub it says Newmen...I will look in to it, will try to service asap. Sure that it doesn't have end caps? I don't see any way to use cone spanners here.

E: this is weird because the hub doesn't match this: SHIMANO Disc Brake Front Hub 110x15 mm E-THRU Axle | SHIMANO BIKE-EU even though that is listed on cube website as my bike's front hub. On my hub the end caps are round and smooth, and on that Shimano they are made to fit cone spanners for removal. On the hub it says Newmen, and it resembles this: NEWMEN Hub FADE MTB 15x110 SP 6Bolt 28h boxed (same end caps etc.). To me it seems I need this tool to knock the end caps out: NEWMEN Endcap Removal Tool 2, 25,00 € at least that is used in this instructional video: (different hub I know, but assuming I have same end caps)

Am I right?

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
if it is a Newmen hub below is the service video ( similar to the one you found). As per your video they release a compression screw on the drive side then fit their clamp tool onto the end cap on the disc side. So I would say you need to remove the rotor, undo that clamping screw on the drive side, then you need a hack to remove the rotor side end cap because you do not have their special tool. That tool is only a clamp with a closed off end, hence they can drive it out. You could try just clamping it into soft jaws in a vice and tap the wheel rim upwards ( which is how I remove DT Swiss end caps), or failing that make or find a cap of similar diameter and secure it with a jubilee clamp or similar.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles