• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Annoying ticking noise from rear hub when coasting.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I never really used to notice this but now it’s getting louder. Almost like a fishing reel when coasting.

Is this normal or is something wrong?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Sounds like the freewheel. It's generally normal. I think a suggestion has been made to pack more grease in there if you hate it. Possibly, you're just becoming more attuned to the bike sounds and your ears have started to tune out the normal Buzzzzzzz Buzzzzzz sounds your more familiar with.

Try to think of it as a cool amplified swiss watch sound showing how nicely made your bike is..

Why are you coasting ? attack attack attack :)

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Sounds like the freewheel. It's generally normal. I think a suggestion has been made to pack more grease in there if you hate it. Possibly, you're just becoming more attuned to the bike sounds and your ears have started to tune out the normal Buzzzzzzz Buzzzzzz sounds your more familiar with.

Try to think of it as a cool amplified swiss watch sound showing how nicely made your bike is..

Why are you coasting ? attack attack
Which wheels are you on? I once had mavic that had an issue with rear hubs.

We both have Shimano FH-TX505, QR, Centerlock

Wife’s is totally silent while mine ticks like mad when coasting.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My hubs were silent when I started mtb in 2008. (and before that on other bikes). But then the Hope hub came out that had a noise like a machine gun. EVERYONE wanted one! :love:

I like a nice click to the hub, it is one of the more polite ways I use to get walkers and fellow riders to know I'm there. I just stop pedalling and bingo! :)

As Zimmerframe says, just put some more grease in the hub if you want it to stop.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
My hubs were silent when I started mtb in 2008. (and before that on other bikes). But then the Hope hub came out that had a noise like a machine gun. EVERYONE wanted one! :love:

I like a nice click to the hub, it is one of the more polite ways I use to get walkers and fellow riders to know I'm there. I just stop pedalling and bingo! :)

As Zimmerframe says, just put some more grease in the hub if you want it to stop.

Thanks. I’ll leave it for now then as it is probably nothing to worry about.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
These hubs are cup and cone style, they are more complicated to service than hubs that use sealed bearings, at least for me that am used to remove the bearings and replace. The cup and cone model may last longer but it needs to be serviced because if you take too long the race will be damaged and the hub will be lost.
The noise is probably on the pawls of the free wheel, but a visit to the bike shop now will save you time and money with an easy fix.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles