• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

How to fix Shimano ebike hub noise

cole_inman

Dec 11, 2019
Blue Ridge Mountains
Apologies if this is the wrong place for this. This is more of an answer that I hope people googling before taking their hub to their LBS which is swamped right now with service.

My Norco Sight VLT 29 C2 came with the new XT ebike hubs FH-M8110-B and after about 50 miles I began to hear a noise under torque. I had an incident where my rear axle was loose, then I tightened it hard. Either one of those scenarios could have caused this issue. The noise sounded like spoke riding a rear wheel with the spoke tension dialed down, but it was in fact the hub. With the hub on the bike there was a bit of fore and aft play in the freehub body, and with it off the play was even more pronounced.
I whipped out the dealer manual from the link above and tore down the hub. The issue ended up being the spring that pushes the freehub body forward in order to engage the ratchets had gotten crossed under itself as below.
IMG_1676.png

I pulled the bottom coil with the mounting tab down to be parallel to the next coil
IMG_1677.png

I'm not entirely sure how this system works with an inner and outer spring and seemingly 2 ratcheting systems. My guess is for the ratchets to be engaged under load, then be disengaged when freewheeling. Seems like a rudimentary form of what Shimano wanted to do with the Sylence hubs. I actually thought this somehow was a Sylence hub when I first had the bike because of this disengaging ratcheting system. If anyone knows why this system is designed this way please chime in!
Make sure to put the tab on the bottom coil in this slot
IMG_1679.png

Enjoy your sound free hub, and make sure your rear axle is tightened in the goldilocks zone.

Last edited:

Orb

Jul 14, 2020
New Jersey, USA
So, did your hub noise end up coming back? I did the below (thanks for the tip) due to having the same noise in my hub that you describe. I actually took my wheel in for truing/tensioning because it really did sound like loose spokes.

After pulling the hub apart and re-seating that spring, I had about 20 minutes of quiet hub before the sound returned. I pulled it apart again and the spring appeared to be seated properly. Just curious if your solution ended up being permanent for you or if it came back.

Apologies if this is the wrong place for this. This is more of an answer that I hope people googling before taking their hub to their LBS which is swamped right now with service.

My Norco Sight VLT 29 C2 came with the new XT ebike hubs FH-M8110-B and after about 50 miles I began to hear a noise under torque. I had an incident where my rear axle was loose, then I tightened it hard. Either one of those scenarios could have caused this issue. The noise sounded like spoke riding a rear wheel with the spoke tension dialed down, but it was in fact the hub. With the hub on the bike there was a bit of fore and aft play in the freehub body, and with it off the play was even more pronounced.
I whipped out the dealer manual from the link above and tore down the hub. The issue ended up being the spring that pushes the freehub body forward in order to engage the ratchets had gotten crossed under itself as below.
View attachment 30123
I pulled the bottom coil with the mounting tab down to be parallel to the next coil
View attachment 30125
I'm not entirely sure how this system works with an inner and outer spring and seemingly 2 ratcheting systems. My guess is for the ratchets to be engaged under load, then be disengaged when freewheeling. Seems like a rudimentary form of what Shimano wanted to do with the Sylence hubs. I actually thought this somehow was a Sylence hub when I first had the bike because of this disengaging ratcheting system. If anyone knows why this system is designed this way please chime in!
Make sure to put the tab on the bottom coil in this slot
View attachment 30126
Enjoy your sound free hub, and make sure your rear axle is tightened in the goldilocks zone.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles