• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Big creak / bang sound from front end?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
When I press down hard on the forks there is no sound but when I keep the front brake on and press down on the forks there is a huge creak / bang sound. I can only assume it’s coming from the brake / disc area of the bike. Is this normal for a brand new bike?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Nope, I would start by checking all the bolts are tight, and if you are not confident doing this taking it to an LBS.

Start by applying the front brake and rocking the bike forward and back, seeing if anything moves, from the stem, to the headset, down t the brake mounts and brake itself. There shouldn't be any play

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
When I hear the crack I can see the hub / disc area vibrate or move slightly. Basically every time I push the front end down while holding the front brake there is a massive crack and the hub / disc area shakes. I’ll check tightness of all the bolts / screws before my next ride

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
What forks have you got, if they're Fox 36, there have been a lot of steerer tubes causing noises

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Nope, I would start by checking all the bolts are tight, and if you are not confident doing this taking it to an LBS.

Start by applying the front brake and rocking the bike forward and back, seeing if anything moves, from the stem, to the headset, down t the brake mounts and brake itself. There shouldn't be any play

Thanks I’ll give that a try ??

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles