• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Fork creak/crack

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
After 3 months of abuse my 36 factory forks have developed the dreaded creak/crack noise. It only happens if and when they are compressed at speed, slamming the from brake or landing a big jump without being super smooth - roots and general downhill don’t seem to cause it.

My first port of call will be to get them replaced/sorted under warranty, but my LBS pointed out this is common and will likely happen with all forks at some point...

What’s the view on here, anything I can do to prevent the onset of fork creak or is it something that’s inevitable if you’re subjecting your bike to downhill, jumps and parks?

The 140mm Pikes on my Jeffsy are creak free after over 3 years of abuse..

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
try this, ride you bike sat down, then ride it stood up and if your creaking stops when you stand up then its your seat! you would be Amazed at how often its the seat and not the forks, HTH :)

Thanks but it’s definitely the forks, I have my seat down a fair amount of the time, and I’m definitely not sitting down when landing jumps ? Easiest way to make it happen is to stand up on the bike and slam the front brake, it then tends to make a nice cracking sound as the bike comes to a stop. Pumping the forks aggressively has no effect though.

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Thanks but it’s definitely the forks, I have my seat down a fair amount of the time, and I’m definitely not sitting down when landing jumps ? Easiest way to make it happen is to stand up on the bike and slam the front brake, it then tends to make a nice cracking sound as the bike comes to a stop. Pumping the forks aggressively has no effect though.
Well, no way an almost new fork suddenly should start making weird noises. It could in theory also being your upper- or lower headset that are making the noise, have you checked that they are well lubed and tightened to the right amount of torque?

I recall someone else had issues with a Fox 36 cracking where the upper part of the inner tube is connected to the steerer part.

Karsten

Last edited:

Matt b

Sep 28, 2018
Swansea
After 3 months of abuse my 36 factory forks have developed the dreaded creak/crack noise. It only happens if and when they are compressed at speed, slamming the from brake or landing a big jump without being super smooth - roots and general downhill don’t seem to cause it.

My first port of call will be to get them replaced/sorted under warranty, but my LBS pointed out this is common and will likely happen with all forks at some point...

What’s the view on here, anything I can do to prevent the onset of fork creak or is it something that’s inevitable if you’re subjecting your bike to downhill, jumps and parks?

The 140mm Pikes on my Jeffsy are creak free after over 3 years of abuse..
Got the same problem with my Revs, it may be the crown steering unit. Some use loctite to help fix it. Give it a Google.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Thanks for the feedback/suggestions.

Doing some more research it looks like either a steerer/crown or stantion/crown problem - this is what my mechanic also said to be fair.

The general hack seems to be turning the forks upside down and dropping some lube in overnight. I’ll try that in the short term but ultimately they will need to go back to Fox.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
I had the same problem with fox 36 too. Stand the bike on the back wheel and bounce it. It's a damn awful noise. The forks went away under warranty and it's been ok, but I think it's coming back. Had I heard about this I'd of got lyrics.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
I did have the same noise. Sounded like the steerer was about to drop out. Very noticable dropping it out an uplift trailer onto the back wheel. It was the headset in my case though. Worth a check & regrease.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
It was the fork steerer/crown, confirmed by Silverfish (UK Fox Service Center). Only problem is they’re eBike specific forks and the parts will take 5 weeks, so it’s creaky forks for the time being ?

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Yep same as mine. Really disappointing. Mine are non ebike specific.

This problem is rife across Fox and Rockshox, not good!

I have now noticed the old Pikes on my 140mm trail bike have it, but you don’t hear it riding or jumping, you have bump the front wheel to get a slight creak, but it’s not really a problem.

The noise on my eBike is like cracking glass and is not something I’m willing to put up with. I’m guessing the additional unsprung weight exacerbates the symptoms... Not something you would expect from from such an expensive/premium product.

They gave me the option of replacing with standard forks for a quicker turnaround time but I’ve opted to wait for the eBike parts, not that it will make much difference.... I will monitor and post here if the problem comes back once they have been fixed.

rodomotion

Sep 3, 2019
Chile
happened to me three times with RS revelation (the old one, 32mm) the original, the replacement, and the original with a new CSU. finally they sent me a dual position Pike. creak free. had it for 3 years and sold it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles