Levo SL Gen 1 Sorry, it's a do I buy thread

LowStandards

Sep 21, 2020
Uk
I'm coming from a lung bike, all my mates now have emtbs and i just cant keep up.

I had a go on my mates e8000 powered bike, but only in eco mode as the battery was dying and it flew along, uphill and down.

I've narrowed my emtb purchase choice down to 3 bikes, but I need help, it's a huge decision.

Pw-x2 powered Haibike

Levo SL Comp

Kenevo Comp

Coming from an analog bike I keep thinking the SL would be ideal, but then I still worry i'd be left behind on the climbs

Help me

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
I'm coming from a lung bike, all my mates now have emtbs and i just cant keep up.

I had a go on my mates e8000 powered bike, but only in eco mode as the battery was dying and it flew along, uphill and down.

I've narrowed my emtb purchase choice down to 3 bikes, but I need help, it's a huge decision.

Pw-x2 powered Haibike

Levo SL Comp

Kenevo Comp

Coming from an analog bike I keep thinking the SL would be ideal, but then I still worry i'd be left behind on the climbs

Help me

I vote Kenevo.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Buy the bike that suits your riding style and terrain best. Same as you would buying a normal bike.
Kenevo and SL are completely opposite ends of the spectrum and you're mainly likely to get replies here from owners of one or the other

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
As already said , pick the bike that suits where you ride and who your riding with .
I've picked the new Orbea Rise , it suits where I mostly ride whilst giving a bit more power than SL for those trips to more challenging areas . I ride alone mostly so no pressure to keep up .

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
If you value keeping up with your mates over the satisfaction of riding one of the most fun ebikes available, get the Kenevo.

But - other things being equal - I think it's safe to say that the SL is more fun to ride than the Kenevo and most other "Full Fat" ebikes (it's a damn' sight more fun than my FF Cube): personally I value playful, nimble, grin-inducing handling, and ease of getting my bike over stiles and other obstacles, over keeping up...

Ameiza

Oct 8, 2019
Norway
I think it really depends on your riding style and terrain. I have the kenevo and have only a short ride on a SL. The kenevo is for sure a very capable rig, very stable and forgiving. Still, I really miss the nimble handling of my lung bike when riding it on my local trails ( steep, technical singletracks, switch backs, rocks and roots)
I have an Orbea Rise M10 preordered, hoping for the best of two worlds. But I cannot part with the Kenevo, so planning to keep both?

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
I think it really depends on your riding style and terrain.
It really does, which (no disrespect to the OP) is why threads like this - and the "I vote XXXX" responses (without any meaningful context) that they routinely generate - are pointless.

Last edited:

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
I'd look at it from the perspective of budget and the type of riding you want to do.

If your not cycle fit, you may have more fun on the full fat eMTB vs the SL. I ride with guys on Levo's and one on a Levo SL and there is no real issue with speed or keeping up, rather he just has to work a lot harder on the really steep hills ;)

maynard

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
I have guys overtake me all the time going uphill on lung bikes . I ride a full fat . These guys are very fit . And enjoy smashing ebikes . I think its great . No ebike hate in the bike culture here in Canberra Australia. Just a riding community. Anyways just get the bike you want . And who cares about your riding mates .

Browneye

Feb 27, 2020
So-CAL
The yamaha drive is bulletproof. Lots of warranty claims for the Brose.
If your dealer has a Haibike you like it would be a good choice, but for me it would be a Yamaha branded (their new FS is out) or a Giant. The new X-29 is nice, but even a 19 or 20 E+1 Pro would be a safe bet. They're setup really nice.

It test rode both Turbo Levo Comp and the CF SL. Being new at mountain biking, of course I liked the turbo levo better. But I really think an experienced MTB'r is well suited for an SL. You really only need the assist on the ragged climbs, and the SL has plenty for that. My yamaha 'pro' assist has 5 levels of assist, and I mostly ride it on 2 or 3, rarely 4, and only five for that shit you normally have to walk up. And I'm old and slow. LOL

Be sure to try them out as much as they'll let you. It's an expensive choice. If you're going for the turbo levo then be sure to get the upgraded comp model, with the better components and the 600w pack. You get WAY more upgrades than the thousand bucks they charge for it. It's kind of a no-brainer if you go thru the list of upgrades.

Another bike to consider is the Orbea Rise, might be hard to find. And the Santa Cruz new Heckler should be a huge hit. Pivot is also very nice, if not a bit spendy. YT is great, but all sold out through next year.

Good luck and let us know what you land on.

Last edited:

LowStandards

Sep 21, 2020
Uk
Awesome. Which model level?
And why not a power fly? Just curious.

I went with the Rail 5, mainly for the colour ??‍♂️

To be fair its not that bad bar the fork

The powerfly is a short travel bike the Rail is 160mm up front, though the fork will be binned pretty soon

Browneye

Feb 27, 2020
So-CAL
Love that color. Great bike.
I tried to get my LBS to bring one in for me to look at, try out...no way. "We only carry the carbon fiber ones, cuz that's what our customers want." Really????? LOL

markfitton

Jul 6, 2020
uk
I umed and arrd over the SL and the FF. I went with the Levo . Initially I thought I had maybe made a mistake, as I was riding mostly in eco and even off , a lot as we had mixed groups, and to get a good work out.
However, the last few rides have been emtb only , and I’ve been bombing around in trail and turbo.

I’m now glad I got the levo. It covers all worlds.

unless you are sure , you really need the extra manoeuvreability of the SL, go FF.

Hell my opinion only though ?. Whatever you get you will be blown away by it.

mates were taking the piss , left right and centre when I got mine ( I was first) ..... guess what the 4 th mate took delivery off a 21 trek 2 days ago.

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
I went with the Rail 5, mainly for the colour ??‍♂️

To be fair its not that bad bar the fork

The powerfly is a short travel bike the Rail is 160mm up front, though the fork will be binned pretty soon
Rail looks to be a great machine. Let us know how you get on with it.
Even though it is now done and dusted I'd like to make a comment on the SL.
It seems a great concept for people moving into EMTB, which I have recently done myself. I was thinking long and hard about it, but it just seemed such poor value in terms of componentry. Fork,shock,brakes. For that spec and with smaller battery and motor you'd hope to pay less than a full fat machine, but, if anything, you pay more. I just couldn't square that circle in my head.

LowStandards

Sep 21, 2020
Uk
It seems a great concept for people moving into EMTB, which I have recently done myself. I was thinking long and hard about it, but it just seemed such poor value in terms of componentry. Fork,shock,brakes. For that spec and with smaller battery and motor you'd hope to pay less than a full fat machine, but, if anything, you pay more. I just couldn't square that circle in my head.

I think you've nailed it right there.

I was also looking at the kenevo, but decent warranty or not, the motor issues kept me away

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
That's why I've been looking at an SL S-Works frame built up to what I want. I almost bought a 2021 SL Comp carbon for $6500(great deal, I thought), but by the time I replace all the parts to my liking with DPX2, I will be around $9500 with Lyrik fork is my choice. I can build an S-Works SL frame, Lyrik, $1500 carbon wheel set of my choice, AXS for around 10,500. $14,000 really Specialized?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles