Solo riding an emtb - nervous?

Nxxi

Nov 7, 2019
Rotherham, Uk
Obviously since lockdown most/all of us will be riding solo and while I do love getting out on my own I'm feeling super nervous riding my e-bike out solo past the kind of people I'm seeing out on the trails. I'm in South Yorkshire and the trails I can ride close to home are full of people, some normal dog walkers etc but there's also a lot of groups of lads on shitty shopping bikes out drinking and smoking on the Trans Pennine Trail. It's making me nervous riding past as they all take a double look at the bike and nudge their mates. I usually ride with a buddy and knowing I've got someone else there has never felt me feeling insecure about riding.

I guess I'm just afraid I'm going to get mugged or something so I'm always looking over my shoulder for something dodgy. I did look into wether you can carry pepper spray or similar but it turns out it's classed as a firearm in the uk. So you can't.

Anyone else feel this way? I know it's 'just a bike' and my health is more important but it's also £6k of hard earned cash....

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
I've taken to just doing road rides now, mainly because riding off-road on my own could be more of a problem if I had an off away from civilisation, and also hopefully less likely to have an accident on the road. Understand what you mean about some of the low-lifes out there though.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Find different trails where there’s likely to be more bikers. I think you’re over reacting a bit.

I ride solo in some very harsh environments a long way from home, my main concerns are crashing and not being able to get home.

I broke my collarbone two weeks ago on a 35km ride, luckily my crash was only about 2ks from home and not 20 so I was able to ride home and then get myself to A&E

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
My gosh i could have written the same post exactly, a few months ago and I definitely feel ya. Not much you can do, I too looked for tazers etc after a lad tried to take mine.
Somewhat time of day dependant but your head torch is a formidable and adaptable emergency defence system. Few will advance toward one without covering their eyes, at which point you jam your rig straight up their arsehole if they want it so much!
Gotta man up and assume a badass countenance or stay home I’m afraid. Maybe draw a teardrop tattoo under your eye before you leave home. That’ll intimidate most.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
Road rides for me too. We don't have the low-life issue in Dunedin so much, it's more that our shared trails are narrow-meaning you're inches away from other's. At least we've plenty of hilly streets :)

Riprocken

Apr 9, 2020
USA
You should trust your instincts. Wish I had more input, makes me glad that I am able to carry a pistol in my backpack if I so desire. Also makes me realize how far ahead other countries are at taking away the freedoms of their people. You can't even carry pepperspray, that's ridiculous. So you are not aloud to defend yourself, basically. And criminals have more rights. Always to save us from,,, (insert scary stuff of the month here)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
the kind of people I'm seeing out on the trails. I'm in South Yorkshire and the trails I can ride close to home are full of people, some normal dog walkers etc but there's also a lot of groups of lads on shitty shopping bikes out drinking and smoking on the Trans Pennine Trail.
Has anything actually happened? or is this a case of you being extremely judgemental about what you deem to be a certain type of person?
It's making me nervous riding past as they all take a double look at the bike and nudge their mates.
Are you quite an anxious person in general?
You can't really expect a bunch of bored kids not to look at you when you pass.
It's not a crime.
From the way you've already pre-judged (de-humanising to some extent) them as a group I'm guessing you won't have even thought about speaking to them like equal human beings?... you know... maybe an "alright, lads?" "nice day isn't it?"

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You should trust your instincts. Wish I had more input, makes me glad that I am able to carry a pistol in my backpack if I so desire. Also makes me realize how far ahead other countries are at taking away the freedoms of their people. You can't even carry pepperspray, that's ridiculous. So you are not aloud to defend yourself, basically. And criminals have more rights. Always to save us from,,, (insert scary stuff of the month here)
Put yer gun down Rambo
He hasn't mentioned any criminals.
He's riding a busy shared use path in England
20090716_tpt_ride_loopline.jpg

Cycling_for_charity_on_the_Trans_Pennine_Trail_-_geograph.org.uk_-_563212.jpg

not the Bronx

Riprocken

Apr 9, 2020
USA
Rambo,, Haha that's so funny. Watch too much television programming?

When I feel the need to put my pistol in my backpack is when I go on night rides in the woods, way out of your city areas. We have these things here called coyote and a few bear. The bear we don't really worry about. But the coyote, they don't respond to liberal conniving, you're better off just shooting them. It sure is nice to be able to make those decisions on my own. I feel bad for people that cannot and even worse for those that do not understand why you should be able to make that decision for yourself.

20200209_181706.jpg

Last edited:

Riprocken

Apr 9, 2020
USA
Because people are fucking idiots

Some clearly have more expertise in this than others.

That's for sure. Plenty of folks cut fingers off cause they don't understand the saw they are using.
It all starts with education, no matter which way you end up.
Cheers

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
If lads hanging around on the side of the track are a worry, I'd get out for rides early in the morning, my 19 year old son is still in bed and it's nearly 1pm! At least they're not likely to be carrying a pistol...

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I feel the need to put my pistol in my backpack is when I go on night rides in the woods, way out of your city areas...We have these things here called coyote

Fair enough. I would too. Even though I don't like guns.

Nxxi

Nov 7, 2019
Rotherham, Uk
Yea, I'm not talking kids here. I'm talking groups of 4/5 blokes riding the trails on their sisters drop frame bike with a can of Stella/kestrel super, the kind of idiots that would push you in the canal just to steal your bike. And yes, I'm being judgemental but having grown up near Barnsley/Rotherham, seeing what these guys get up to, I suppose prior experience makes me cautious.

I always give a nod and say 'alright/ayup' to everyone I see on the trails, it's common courtesy.

Nothing has happened, yet, apart from up near Wakefield I was followed by 3 of them and lost them when I banged it in boost and went up a huge climb. I'm not an anxious person, I'm 6'2 and 18st, they would have a job to get me off the bike in the first place but still, It doesn't make it any less daunting to ride past them, especially as the trails here are kinda out and back on the same route (well, that's what most people do - I've taken to finding another route back if I can).

It is a shame we can't carry pepper spray or a taser, the closest we can get is a kind of security paint spray, it stains for a few weeks and obviously wouldn't be nice if sprayed in the eyes of someone threatening you.

No bears or coyotes here though thankfully ??

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
I live in the US in an area where private citizens are allowed to obtain permits to carry concealed handguns. My philosophy has always been that if I felt that I needed to carry a gun to feel safe then it was time for me to make some major changes in my life. The argument to carry it for wildlife is a good one, though if it's stuffed down in a pack I doubt it would be much good. By the time you could dig it out it would probably be too late. I am not "anti-gun", I own them but have little interest in them.

Riprocken

Apr 9, 2020
USA
though if it's stuffed down in a pack I doubt it would be much good. By the time you could dig it out it would probably be too late. I am not "anti-gun", I own them but have little interest in them.

It's in its own pocket with nothing else to dig through. And coyote are very noisy mean critters. They travel in packs around large territory routes and are constantly yipping and snipping at each other, stopping to howl at whatever. You will normally hear them a few hill tops away long before you ever, if you see them. At that point it's best to stop and wait till they get to their next spot and start making all kinds of noise again. Decide if they are moving toward you and what to do from there. Move on your way or wait and see if you can pick off a few. You know,,, Rambo style,,, LMAO.

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
Obviously since lockdown most/all of us will be riding solo and while I do love getting out on my own I'm feeling super nervous riding my e-bike out solo past the kind of people I'm seeing out on the trails. I'm in South Yorkshire and the trails I can ride close to home are full of people, some normal dog walkers etc but there's also a lot of groups of lads on shitty shopping bikes out drinking and smoking on the Trans Pennine Trail. It's making me nervous riding past as they all take a double look at the bike and nudge their mates. I usually ride with a buddy and knowing I've got someone else there has never felt me feeling insecure about riding.

I guess I'm just afraid I'm going to get mugged or something so I'm always looking over my shoulder for something dodgy. I did look into wether you can carry pepper spray or similar but it turns out it's classed as a firearm in the uk. So you can't.

Anyone else feel this way? I know it's 'just a bike' and my health is more important but it's also £6k of hard earned cash....
Where abouts are you riding in Rotherham!!! I too am from Rotherham and havent encounted any such problems. I ride the national cycle network route 67 and route 6, mind you I supose I wouldn't take much notice of them anyway. I'm sure they wouldn't be able to catch you in Turbo. I also supose its a confidence thing

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
Gotta say the OPs fears are justified. Post covid 19 when 5m of us are unemployed it will get a lot worse. If anyone remembers the last big recession in the 80s?
One possible solution might be a small tin of aftershave or hair lacquer as a PS alternative. But only if your prepared to use that 18 st as it was intended straight after.
If not, the plan is simple. Get off your bike and hand it over with a tip of your hat. Bikes are replaceable and insurable.

ifu03558

Mar 11, 2019
Glasgow
Yea, I'm not talking kids here. I'm talking groups of 4/5 blokes riding the trails on their sisters drop frame bike with a can of Stella/kestrel super, the kind of idiots that would push you in the canal just to steal your bike. And yes, I'm being judgemental but having grown up near Barnsley/Rotherham, seeing what these guys get up to, I suppose prior experience makes me cautious.

I always give a nod and say 'alright/ayup' to everyone I see on the trails, it's common courtesy.

Nothing has happened, yet, apart from up near Wakefield I was followed by 3 of them and lost them when I banged it in boost and went up a huge climb. I'm not an anxious person, I'm 6'2 and 18st, they would have a job to get me off the bike in the first place but still, It doesn't make it any less daunting to ride past them, especially as the trails here are kinda out and back on the same route (well, that's what most people do - I've taken to finding another route back if I can).

It is a shame we can't carry pepper spray or a taser, the closest we can get is a kind of security paint spray, it stains for a few weeks and obviously wouldn't be nice if sprayed in the eyes of someone threatening you.

THink you need to have a word with yourself, your 6'2 and 18st I'm 5'5 and 10st and have no fears with cycling about Glasgow. 99.99999% of the time folk are just interested because its an ebike. I've never had any bother from gangs of kids/grown ups sitting about smoking and drinking but as I dont perceive them as a threat I dont get all anxious when I see them. If they ask about the bike I just stop and chat for a bit, you can't live your life in fear mate!

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
THink you need to have a word with yourself, your 6'2 and 18st I'm 5'5 and 10st and have no fears with cycling about Glasgow. 99.99999% of the time folk are just interested because its an ebike. I've never had any bother from gangs of kids/grown ups sitting about smoking and drinking but as I dont perceive them as a threat I dont get all anxious when I see them. If they ask about the bike I just stop and chat for a bit, you can't live your life in fear mate!
Full respect but as someone who has had an attempted theft I appreciate the OPs fears. I haven’t elected to tool up and simply rely on a modified version of psalm 23 Like many others. Glasgow must be different these days though cos trust me, if you rode into huyton or bootle with a cavalier attitude like that you would be walking inside 5 mins.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I don't know how any cavalier could bring themselves to run into someone as cute as Pootle?

0zle-c-7_400x400.jpeg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I've lived many many places dude. From inner city squats and bedsits to schemes, to towns, villages and the countryside.
Don't judge a book by it's cover nor an author by their current residence.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills

Just let them have a ride. A few of them may not have experienced the joys of an ebike before. Just say bring back in 10 mins and no crunching the gears please.

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
Intended for the eyes/anus/genitals of any pit bull type that is unwise enough to grab one of my dogs. Sorry.
60 to 70 mm long with similiar jet length turned up to max. weighs only grams and is very hard to extinguish. Bubbles anything at 150mm instantly and makes a scary noise to boot. Also quite handy at times. Bit medieval. View attachment 28907

Tell me more.....via pm if you like (y)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles