Solo Back Country Rides

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I have a second battery on the way for y Fuel EXe so I can do so some 50 mile loops and trails like the AZT. I ride solo 99% of the time. This has me thinking, what if things go wrong 25 miles from the nearest trail head. On my non-assist bike, I would never be that far from a trail head. This far from a trailhead you likely will not see other hikers or bikers. Anyone else think about this? What safety measures do you take? Has anyone ever used or tried the SOS feature on IPhone? It claims you do not need WiFi or cell phone coverage. I appreciate your thoughts.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
I have an iPhone 14, and when completely our of signal range it does indeed show the satellite SOS feature as available. Happily I've not had to try using it, although apparently you can send friends in your "find my" network your position using the facility. I may have to give that a go. It's reassuring, but I think it's still wise to be careful. I certainly always make sure someone knows I've gone out and roughly when I'll be back. I have a friend who didn't do that, and who only narrowly survived multiple nights lying injured in Joshua Tree national park with a smashed pelvis.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
If I was going to be farther than a two hour walk/hikeabike back, I would rather be on a regular bike, because ebikes are much more prone to have a fail and become a 26 kilos ballast, impossible to move around if you're in gnarly terrain. That said, I do have two batteries for both of my ebikes, and use the full range of them, but always plan my routes so that getting out or getting help is not a life threatening issue.

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
I was in the middle of no where on my own collapsed with a heart problem
As I hit the deck unconscious my Apple Watch notified the emergency service and two members of my family I had virtually no phone signal but it still managed to get messages to all these people/ services

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I was in the middle of no where on my own collapsed with a heart problem
As I hit the deck unconscious my Apple Watch notified the emergency service and two members of my family I had virtually no phone signal but it still managed to get messages to all these people/ services
Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thank you and glad everything worked out.

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
I carry a personal beacon in case I get stuck and have no phone reception. Also carry a thermal blanket/bag which is lightweight and easy to stash in the backpack.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles