So, what's going to happen when e-MTB batteries start dying? Specialized wants over a $1k for a battery.

Hightower

Sep 7, 2018
Mars
Apologies if this has been discussed. Searched the forums and couldn't find that much.

As the owner of 2 Specialized e-bikes I'm wondering when the batteries finally lose so much range that they need to be replaced - what happens? Just bend over and pay Specialized big bucks for a new battery?

(BTW, have the same concern with my Tesla - I understand their battery packs can be as much as $20K+)

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
You choose between a repack , replacement, or a shinny new bike. Or all 3 - repack the old one whilst waiting a couple of years for the replacement / shinny new bike to arrive?

I've been amazed at how well my 2018 giant battery is holding up , but I doubt I'd invest new battery $ into replacing it because everything else is worn out

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
I used this among other arguments to upgrade my 3year 5000km old bosch HT. When I wrote the ad to sell it, I realised that I had only done maybe 50 charge cycles. I believe Bosch quote 1000 cycles and Shimano 1500. If this is to be believed my 900wh battery would last enough time and distance to allow the rest of the bike to disintegrate.
If you charge after every 5km ride though, it could be a problem I guess.

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
It seems like some batteries can't be repacked. I think someone on here tried it with a shimamo battery and it killed the BMS (internal battery computer).

So, suck it up and buy a new one I guess. Or a new bike.

Lots of people on here seem to replace their new bike regularly, which is fine, but I personally like to keep my things for a while so being able to maintain them is important. Unfortunately, thats not a concern to the manufacturer.

Hightower

Sep 7, 2018
Mars
I used this among other arguments to upgrade my 3year 5000km old bosch HT. When I wrote the ad to sell it, I realised that I had only done maybe 50 charge cycles. I believe Bosch quote 1000 cycles and Shimano 1500. If this is to be believed my 900wh battery would last enough time and distance to allow the rest of the bike to disintegrate.
If you charge after every 5km ride though, it could be a problem I guess.

I had a first gen Specialized Levo. At 90 charge cycles the battery only held half a charge. I could not even ride it 10 miles/1000ft elevation without it dying. Watched the youtube video of the guy who somehow rebuilt/repaired a Spesh battery and it appears it's not feasible. 90 charge cycles. And, to your point, yes, i go on a lot of short rides. Usually 12-20 miles. So, most of the time, I put the bike on the charger after the ride.

In any event, I sold my Spesh Levo for practically nothing and told the guy I sold it too the battery was almost toast. Then, stupid me, got a 2019 s-works Levo and a 2020 Kenevo.

FOG

Oct 5, 2018
Sheffield UK
The real dilemma is, is it worth spending big bucks on a new battery for an older motor?
My Shimano battery seems to be losing charge but the motor is also showing signs of decrepitude. I really don't want to shell out £500ish and then who knows how much for a new motor for a four year old bike. I think I will look for a second hand normal frame to transfer my running gear whilst I search for a new emtb

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Apologies if this has been discussed. Searched the forums and couldn't find that much.

As the owner of 2 Specialized e-bikes I'm wondering when the batteries finally lose so much range that they need to be replaced - what happens? Just bend over and pay Specialized big bucks for a new battery?

(BTW, have the same concern with my Tesla - I understand their battery packs can be as much as $20K+)
Start saving

Soupamoto

Mar 3, 2020
Knoxville, Tennessee
I'd love to find a better solution as well. I have two identical 2018 Levo's. One battery recently shit the bed. No help from Specialized, new batt is $900. I haven't purchased one yet, just sharing my one between the two bikes till I decide what to do. I have no interest in buying a new bike.

I wonder how long Spec will still sell first gen batteries?

I'm in the US, no battery repair people here that I've found, and the guys in the UK won't accept an overseas job due to shipping regulations. I'm not sure what your options are on Mars. :)

rod9301

Oct 10, 2020
US
You choose between a repack , replacement, or a shinny new bike. Or all 3 - repack the old one whilst waiting a couple of years for the replacement / shinny new bike to arrive?

I've been amazed at how well my 2018 giant battery is holding up , but I doubt I'd invest new battery $ into replacing it because everything else is worn out
What else is worn out?

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
Ultimately, I expect its cheaper to put a new motor and battery in an existing bike than buy a new one. They also come with a new warranty of course if you're buying them.

That doesn't take into account the innovation though, but for the moment I like my bike and don't see that changing in the next few years, so why change!

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I'm wondering when the batteries finally lose so much range that they need to be replaced - what happens?
Just bend over and pay Specialized big bucks

What do you do when the battery on your iPhone fails?
What do you do when the engine in your pickup truck wears out?
What do you do when your toaster quits working?

You fix it, buy a new one, or eat your bread untoasted.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I guess we’ve got to think of the costs of running an e bike are more like a motorbike than a bicycle. After all, they cost about the same now. In fact My Suzuki cost less than ebikes that I’m looking at the moment. However, we accept running costs of a motorbike - I was quoted ariund £500 for a full service recently, and then there are tyres, tax, insurance and petrol - it can easily mount up to £1000 in a year.
If we have to spend £1000 on a new battery every four years, how much does that work out per ride? 4000k over four years - say 30k per ride, that’s 133 rides so £7 per ride. I’m as upset as the next person what seems an exhorbitant price for a battery but maybe it’s more of a mindset change that’s needed. Maybe, ebiking is turning out to be a more expensive sport than we thought.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
I guess we’ve got to think of the costs of running an e bike are more like a motorbike than a bicycle. After all, they cost about the same now. In fact My Suzuki cost less than ebikes that I’m looking at the moment. However, we accept running costs of a motorbike - I was quoted ariund £500 for a full service recently, and then there are tyres, tax, insurance and petrol - it can easily mount up to £1000 in a year.
If we have to spend £1000 on a new battery every four years, how much does that work out per ride? 4000k over four years - say 30k per ride, that’s 133 rides so £7 per ride. I’m as upset as the next person what seems an exhorbitant price for a battery but maybe it’s more of a mindset change that’s needed. Maybe, ebiking is turning out to be a more expensive sport than we thought.
So, how many of us when deciding to buy anything figure in the longterm costs involved' NOBODY, it is what it is, the guy who originally asked the question possibly held onto the bike too long, everything has a shelf life, deal with it.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors

How many miles sofar?

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
3 years old in june , 120 cycles 5200 miles still get same distance out of battery so far. I thought you got some kind of discount when buying a new battery . I'm retired now so a bit more grippet regarding what I am willing to spend compared to a year ago.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
3 years old in june , 120 cycles 5200 miles still get same distance out of battery so far. I thought you got some kind of discount when buying a new battery . I'm retired now so a bit more grippet regarding what I am willing to spend compared to a year ago.
Get a life, nothing.lasts forever, how many smiles per mile has that battery given you, stop batching and keep living and enjoying what emtb gives you.

eMTB XL

Jan 14, 2021
USA

Best advise for battery health and longevity is to never store the battery at full or low charge. Keep it around 60-70 percent charge. Also ride your bike regularly so the battery doesn't sit idle. Happy shredding!

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
How many miles sofar?

none, just LOTS of km.

It's hard to be sure because the speed sensor was playing up for a few thousand km - that nearly cost me a fortune when the km / power usage / speed looked as though I'd derestricted the bike with a badass unit and I was making a warranty claim for a new motor !!! Plus I've been through 3/4 evo screens / and am on the second motor, so there is no easy way to check the real usage.

I'd estimate 8- 10,000 km based on average ride duration / frequency of rides , but at least 1/3 or those involved days where I was towing kids back up hills. The bike has now been retired and is about to be converted into a commuting bike for the kids

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Best advise for battery health and longevity is to never store the battery at full or low charge. Keep it around 60-70 percent charge. Also ride your bike regularly so the battery doesn't sit idle. Happy shredding!

better advice is get out and enjoy.

My battery is 4 +years old , I ride 2/3 x a week and discharge between 30-90 % every time. I have zero intention of starting out with anything less than 100% because I never know which day I'll meet a mate at the " end" of a ride and decide to do another loop.

Lets be conservative and say that " abuse" might have shortened battery life by 25% ? I'll pay $2 a ride to not worry. These are Australian $ ...ie a mars bar in universal currency

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
Every second a battery spends at full charge damages it. Its a time over charge function. I charge mine within hours of use. In the last 6 months it's spend a total of about 60 hours at full charge. 40 of that's was because my wheel broke and I couldn't ride.

A fully charged battery losses 25-35% per year depending on temperature. Gone with no work done.

A well maintained battery should last 10 years or over a 1000 cycles to 80%.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I'm in the US, no battery repair people here that I've found, and the guys in the UK won't accept an overseas job due to shipping regulations. I'm not sure what your options are on Mars. :)
Literally thousands of battery repack places across the states. You might not see them advertised as ebike battery repackers, but just ask at any good hardware store that tradespeople use who is the local doing battery repacks.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
It annoys me no end that I can't re-pack my Bosch 625Wh if I need to (due to BMS self destruct), and the price of a new battery is horrendous as has been mentioned.

But...with good battery practice (always charge to 100%/minimum time spent sitting at 100%)...and some luck - hopefully cell integrity since new, it should be many, many miles of fun before I need to worry about it. For this reason I don't dwell on it. Where it would really become an issue is if the battery suddenly fails outside of warranty. That would royally piss me off because, a re-pack (if it were possible) would prob be less than half the cost. This is where 'friendly' systems like Bafangs etc shine.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Every second a battery spends at full charge damages it. Its a time over charge function. I charge mine within hours of use. In the last 6 months it's spend a total of about 60 hours at full charge. 40 of that's was because my wheel broke and I couldn't ride.

A fully charged battery losses 25-35% per year depending on temperature. Gone with no work done.

A well maintained battery should last 10 years or over a 1000 cycles to 80%.

Again, do you have a reference for this?

From my reading, eg https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/323272674.pdf

The annual degradation only gets into those 25-35 % ranges if you are storing above 30 degrees, and the difference between storing at 50% to 100 % only gets significant at those higher temperatures. Also, once you get past the first year the rate of degradation seems to drop off, so If you leave a li battery for 10 years, the difference in degradation between 60% and 100% is less than 10%.

Is it really worth worrying about a 10% difference over a 10 year period , and do we actually end up doing more damage from the occasionally fully discharged cycle when we forget to charge before use?

extract :
4C790A04-E3F4-42CA-9E5A-5DD6559B165B.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles