Is falling off a new emtb always going to happen?

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Having ridden bikes and mtbs in particular for the last 30+ years, now approaching 51 with more damaged body parts from the early years of riding than I care to mention, I have returned to my youth and crashed again!

This time it was a slow speed comedy of errors on my new ebike but, it has left me wondering just how many ebikers, in particular emtbs, fall off or crash early on as they are simply not used to the bikes.

Mine was daft - I wanted to go for a long ish ride on Sunday but didn't want to take a full camelbak as it was only local and so warm that something on my back would be annoying. So, I used a long neglected 1.5ltr hip camelbak thing instead.

Filled it up and went on my way. Got to a short steep uphill that has a tricky entrance through trees into a well rutted hard clay type surface. It's only 50 mtrs or so long but impossible on a normal bike as it is so steep. Put the bike into 3/5 on the assistance setting, came out of the trees and stomped on the pedals as I would on my non electric bike to clear a steep hill.

Just at the same time I stood off the saddle to bring my weight forwards. Unknown to me, my baggy outer shorts had slipped down slightly (didn't notice as the waist belt on the bladder was tighter so just felt that). As I stood up, the nose of my saddle snagged the crotch of my shorts and slammed my backside back down into the saddle. Not sure exactly what happened next but the bike was shooting off thanks to my exaggerated pedal input. It was also now heading straight into a rut and became unbalanced as I was pulled into the saddle.

Whatever happened, I fell to the left side and upwards. Felt like I'd looped out, fell off the back and landed on my back in the prickliest bush known to man. Slammed down quite hard, square onto the Camelbak - which smashed my phone screen that was stored inside it, settled to a rest and then the bike fell on my leg whilst I was still holding the bars and clipped into the pedals.

All very weird and quick and it appears the Camelbak that was used to help me get round the ride hydrated had in effect caused the crash through me not noticing the shorts displacement, then effectively saved my already rubbish back from nasty injury by being a landing pad.

After all that, I got up, scratched to high heaven. Pushed the undamaged bike down the slope and just rode straight up the hill with no drama, seated all the way and no huge pedal surges to get started.

Got another half a mile and realised my Garmin had been ejected. Went back and back again later after the ride and never found it, so that cost me £160 (cheaper thanks to Amazon sale).

Now I have the itch to go riding again, the weather to do it, a great bike to ride for a few hours and a dodgy body, aching and bruised - that says I'm going nowhere for another week or so.

Oh, and a Camelbak thing that will stay firmly in the cupboard for a while ;)

No real point to this ramble, but wondered if falling off new ebikes is a regular occurrence due to simply not being used to how they work and just how much ridiculous grip and power they offer.
I fell off more in last 3 years on Ebike than I have in total since i started mountain biking mid eighties . Weight of bike may be a cause of some, you could prevent some falls I think if you were on an analogue mtb. As you say daft little falls but they all count. Broke ribs last year that's the first time I've actually injured myself , and yes on a daft technical route I do weekly. I did a technical downhill run yesterday on my own as usual top of a mountain not a sole about at five at night. No fool like an old fool.

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
Lol...yeah, I've crashed on my last 2 new bikes E or not (YT Jeffsy29 and YT Decoy29). You'll get used to the bike soon!

Jeffsy (analog) crash was typical - new toy thinking "I'm gonna crush it on this thing" and overrunning (ignoring?) the damp poor-traction I had that morning starting off. It was literally in the first 5 mins. Some gravel chips in the forearm and knees but nothing awful. Continued to ride and had a blast.

Decoy crash was definitely more e-bike related. I was hustling *much* faster on some rolling but mostly, flat, not too technical terrain. Didn't have sag / rates adjusted properly for my mass and probably under slight compression, I snagged a pedal on a root sticking up while pedaling at probably 17+ mph. OTB, FAST down on my R-shoulder...luckily onto a sofft rotten log with a slight decline. I was stunned, took a minute to asses my situation. I couldn't really lift my arm very easily, but kept riding anyway with the support of the handlebars pushing my arm back into the shoulder it actually felt ok. I mean, this is my NEW BIKE RIDE, am I stopping now? Nah.

No dislocation, but almost couldn't load my bike after the ride. Barely could adjust the rearview mirror. I found out later I'd torn 3 of the 4 rotator cuff tendons off the humerus and had to get surgery. Off the bike for 3 months then slowly back.

I now ride with a Leatt 3DF AirFit Lite shirt for protection on most rides for extra insurance.

I've only wrecked "normally" of late, and mildly with zero or minor scratches. Riding proper spring rates now (with a coil) and upgraded my shock for support under compression.

Make sure your suspension is set up properly. You'll be going just as fast or faster as you adapt to the bike, but you'll adjust your riding style to work with the new speed and mass and not crash any more than you would on analog bikes.

Having ridden bikes and mtbs in particular for the last 30+ years, now approaching 51 with more damaged body parts from the early years of riding than I care to mention, I have returned to my youth and crashed again!
......No real point to this ramble, but wondered if falling off new ebikes is a regular occurrence due to simply not being used to how they work and just how much ridiculous grip and power they offer.

Crash Logan

Apr 9, 2022
Squamish
[/QUOTE]Unknown to me, my baggy outer shorts had slipped down slightly (didn't notice as the waist belt on the bladder was tighter so just felt that). As I stood up, the nose of my saddle snagged the crotch of my shorts and slammed my backside back down into the saddle[/QUOTE]
Sounds like your baggy shorts were the culprit..😉.
personally, I have crashed far less since riding an E-bike due to the fact that I’m not absolutely worn out by the time I get to the top of a climb.
My husband and I have also invested in better components to make the bikes lighter and much more competent. My confidence and skill has gone through the roof since buying my Levo SL 🤗
May I suggest a Lycra onesie and a water bottle in a cage for your next ride?😂. Pictures appreciated on your next ride..😂

Twonks

Apr 16, 2022
Midlands
Haha. You don’t want pictures of me in Lycra - 30 years ago maybe but not now. :ROFLMAO:

it was the shorts really I suppose but, can’t help feel on my normal bike I’d have just unclipped and stopped. The ebike had already surged off thanks to my input so I’ll blame that. Lol.

Have a water bottle as well, but it’s only a small thing thanks to the frame design.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Shouldn't be blaming the bike set up lads or your dress sense. I've cycled with some cracking folk over the years who put me to shame on old rickety bikes wearing clown suits .No brakes feet down in corners for a brake. Ah the good old days. Still have my hardtail with Rst elastomer 40mm fork and would argue I don't go any faster now on a particular regular downhill ( 46 mph ) 20 years ago that was clocked when we used speedometers on bikes .

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Haha. You don’t want pictures of me in Lycra - 30 years ago maybe but not now. :ROFLMAO:

it was the shorts really I suppose but, can’t help feel on my normal bike I’d have just unclipped and stopped. The ebike had already surged off thanks to my input so I’ll blame that. Lol.

Have a water bottle as well, but it’s only a small thing thanks to the frame design.

Please... no lycra. Maybe something like these would help?

35913-2.jpg

YFfzAo.jpg

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK

This time it was a slow speed comedy of errors on my new ebike but, it has left me wondering just how many ebikers, in particular emtbs, fall off or crash early on as they are simply not used to the bikes.

Mine was daft - I wanted to go for a long ish ride on Sunday but didn't want to take a full camelbak as it was only local and so warm that something on my back would be annoying. So, I used a long neglected 1.5ltr hip camelbak thing instead.

Filled it up and went on my way. Got to a short steep uphill that has a tricky entrance through trees into a well rutted hard clay type surface. It's only 50 mtrs or so long but impossible on a normal bike as it is so steep. Put the bike into 3/5 on the assistance setting, came out of the trees and stomped on the pedals as I would on my non electric bike to clear a steep hill.

Just at the same time I stood off the saddle to bring my weight forwards. Unknown to me, my baggy outer shorts had slipped down slightly (didn't notice as the waist belt on the bladder was tighter so just felt that). As I stood up, the nose of my saddle snagged the crotch of my shorts and slammed my backside back down into the saddle. Not sure exactly what happened next but the bike was shooting off thanks to my exaggerated pedal input. It was also now heading straight into a rut and became unbalanced as I was pulled into the saddle.

Whatever happened, I fell to the left side and upwards. Felt like I'd looped out, fell off the back and landed on my back in the prickliest bush known to man. Slammed down quite hard, square onto the Camelbak - which smashed my phone screen that was stored inside it, settled to a rest and then the bike fell on my leg whilst I was still holding the bars and clipped into the pedals.

All very weird and quick and it appears the Camelbak that was used to help me get round the ride hydrated had in effect caused the crash through me not noticing the shorts displacement, then effectively saved my already rubbish back from nasty injury by being a landing pad.

After all that, I got up, scratched to high heaven. Pushed the undamaged bike down the slope and just rode straight up the hill with no drama, seated all the way and no huge pedal surges to get started.

Got another half a mile and realised my Garmin had been ejected. Went back and back again later after the ride and never found it, so that cost me £160 (cheaper thanks to Amazon sale).

Now I have the itch to go riding again, the weather to do it, a great bike to ride for a few hours and a dodgy body, aching and bruised - that says I'm going nowhere for another week or so.

Oh, and a Camelbak thing that will stay firmly in the cupboard for a while ;)

No real point to this ramble, but wondered if falling off new ebikes is a regular occurrence due to simply not being used to how they work and just how much ridiculous grip and power they offer.
I think it was Laurel & Hardy that made a career from scenarios like that!

Mitchb

Nov 13, 2021
San Diego
yeah! iconic album and times. I was 21 in 95! we thought it would last forever 🤪
I have seen Smashing Pumpkins twice in concert over the last three years. Their reunion tour concert was 3 hours and by far the best concert Ive ever been to. And Ive seen a lot of concerts starting in 1971, when I talked my mom into taking me to see Black Sabbath as a 12 year old.

Last edited:

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
I feel it's inevitable. I had the worst crash i've had on a MTB about 10 weeks after picking mine up. It was a rocky mistake where I clipped the pedal at seed into a large rock garden and flipped the bike and myself. I had gone too far too long that ride and was tired. I'm not in my mid 20's anymore and not a good recipe - fatigue and a motorised bike 🤦🏽

There is something so addictive about eMTB's though, in that they push you harder and harder- and I love that. Once the bike is dialled and you know how it feels- and explore your limits on a new type of ride- I think the accident rate lessons. To this point it's definitely a volatile stage.

Once you scratch your bike too, you also start to not feel so precious about it. My observations are that the majority of eBikers seem to be quite old and hate to even get a speck of dirt on their bikes 🤣 This is not a philosophy I follow and get the bike muddy and push the limits. This is how I see the best way to get my moneys worth!

Hold on I'm back to the start of my conversation 😁 Maybe we will fall off many times!
I feel for you!!! Pedal strikes have caused the majority of my 'offs'. Mostly while under power on a steep, rocky' climb, when you can't stop pedalling. My reaction times have slowed down with age, so while my brain is telling me to alter course to avoid a rock, my body is too slow to react and nek-minit, the dreaded pedal strike, and almost certainly an 'off'. I am still getting used to my Trance X 29'er,, but the recent wet weather doesn't help as the MTB club around here responsible for the mtb tracks, don't allow riding in wet weather, because of the damage it causes to the tracks.
We catch up one day eh!

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
I feel for you!!! Pedal strikes have caused the majority of my 'offs'. Mostly while under power on a steep, rocky' climb, when you can't stop pedalling. My reaction times have slowed down with age, so while my brain is telling me to alter course to avoid a rock, my body is too slow to react and nek-minit, the dreaded pedal strike, and almost certainly an 'off'. I am still getting used to my Trance X 29'er,, but the recent wet weather doesn't help as the MTB club around here responsible for the mtb tracks, don't allow riding in wet weather, because of the damage it causes to the tracks.
We catch up one day eh!
Yes pedal strikes are not good! I built up the courage to ride the same trail a few days ago that I fell on, and found nothing like the obstacle I thought would be an issue, when I had the off! hahaha.

What I realised is that I cycled waaaaaaay beyond my physical and mental limits that day and the off was on a super simple part of the trial. Totally rider error. Lesson learnt!

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Yes pedal strikes are not good! I built up the courage to ride the same trail a few days ago that I fell on, and found nothing like the obstacle I thought would be an issue, when I had the off! hahaha.

What I realised is that I cycled waaaaaaay beyond my physical and mental limits that day and the off was on a super simple part of the trial. Totally rider error. Lesson learnt!
Spoke to motor repair guy he reckons pedal strikes probably a lot to do with motor failures. Only repeating. I what mine regularly on technical stuff

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles