so.. what upgrades or personalising have people done with their cubes then?

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales
You can use 3m helicopter tape or leading edge tape. I paid about £15 and cut and placed the tape where you know it going to rub. Ive done this for many years. I still have enough tape to refresh at least 5x.
I did look into that but decided invisi was the way forward it’s due Monday now ?

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales
Invisi frame fitted ! Just Waiting on Peaties tubeless kit and floor pump now hopefully arriving Tommorow , wasn’t in a rush to go tubeless but had a puncture just as we got back to the van yesterday

CC4DE272-B16F-4D9E-A936-4FCE87322FB1.jpeg

Giela

Dec 31, 2020
Netherlands
I have done:
- MT7 Pro brakes
- MDR-P 220mm and 203mm rotors
- Zeb Ultimate
- Mavic E-deepmax wheelset.

(have to say, on the picture only the Magura MT7 Pro's were fitted. Waiting for new stickers for the Mavic wheelset and will post a new photo :) IMG_0659.jpeg
IMG_0659.jpeg

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales
^ WOW, not seen a brake pad get that low before.
How are the rotors holding up?
thankfully i heard the change in tone / feel on what i think was first few squeezes of the break where the pad on the edge had worn so low, i had already ordered harder wearing replacement pads and was able to ride 5 miles home from where i noticed and changed the pads promptly so im hoping the rotors are fine, they worked superbly yesterday so thinking i've caught them in time, some meat still on the fronts but ive added a pair of pads to my tool kit in the rucksack should i notice and need to change mid ride up a mountain some where. the scary part is ( and i know our terrain in south wales is extremely steep ) i've only covered 200 miles on those from new

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I See they are the green S version, so the same as mine.
I am still pretty surprised at how fast they wore.
Would you class yourself as a heavier build (over 100 kg)?
Are your rides very steep and is there heaps of muc on your rotors?

I guess I ride mostly pretty dry. There are no trail centers around here so probably I am not jamming the brakes on as much. But the Alps where I do a lot of riding are not exactly flat.

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales
I See they are the green S version, so the same as mine.
I am still pretty surprised at how fast they wore.
Would you class yourself as a heavier build (over 100 kg)?
Are your rides very steep and is there heaps of muc on your rotors?

I guess I ride mostly pretty dry. There are no trail centers around here so probably I am not jamming the brakes on as much. But the Alps where I do a lot of riding are not exactly flat.
i am fairly chunky but usable weight , i suspect around 100kgs about now ( thanks christmas lol ) yes we have very steep mountains here with some fast long descents, plus as you correctly assume very soft earth and clay type terrain, that grinding sound when riding is not un common also the heavy break squealing from good old wet dirty brakes, i would have expected 500k tbh so i am dissapointed, ill keep an eye on the uber pads that have gone in there and see if the mix of compounds on those helps me get better milage from them ;-)

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales
the Alps where I do a lot of riding are not exactly flat. actually i dont know if we can compare but it would be interesting to see the info if you have it for comparison?

peaks.PNG

Dingo78

Jan 5, 2021
Belgium - Antwerp
Hey guys,

So here is a list of the upgrades in did to my bike and future upgrades i will do:

Current upgrades:
Grips: Ergon G2 fat
Handlebars: Ritchey comp 740mm riser
Stem: 45mm Ritchey stem
Tyres: Continental tubeless tyres
Pedals: Shimano Saint Pd-m820 spd
Sadle: Ergon SMC4-M
Seatpost: Suntour Sp17 Ncx 350mm
Fork: Rockshox Yari 100mm
Topeak Fenders
Garmin mount

Future upgrades:
Shimano 8120 dual piston brake set
Shimano XT RT-MT800 disc rotors
DT Swiss 350 straightpull xm421 29 inch wheelset

IMG_1265.jpg

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales
the casual ten hour day riding hahaha ouch!! just wondering if the peaks were more sustained there? in my head i guess i wondered if the overall altitude was higher but the descents were more even if that makes sense ie being a mountain range as opposed to several mountains close to each other, apologies for my general lack of alpine knowledge terrain wise, some hairy speeds there too !! looks like you certainly get the milage in bud haha

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Hey guys,

So here is a list of the upgrades in did to my bike and future upgrades i will do:

Current upgrades:
Grips: Ergon G2 fat
Handlebars: Ritchey comp 740mm riser
Stem: 45mm Ritchey stem
Tyres: Continental tubeless tyres
Pedals: Shimano Saint Pd-m820 spd
Sadle: Ergon SMC4-M
Seatpost: Suntour Sp17 Ncx 350mm
Fork: Rockshox Yari 100mm
Topeak Fenders
Garmin mount

Future upgrades:
Shimano 8120 dual piston brake set
Shimano XT RT-MT800 disc rotors
DT Swiss 350 straightpull xm421 29 inch wheelset

View attachment 49231
Holy cow! that is a lot of expensive upgrades! Wouldn't it have been cheaper to buy a new bike with better components already on it.
Ok Not all are available like the grips and saddel, but Forks, brakes Seatpost and tyres all are available on models with higher specs.
You might have to put up with it being a full suspension bike though.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
the casual ten hour day riding hahaha ouch!! just wondering if the peaks were more sustained there? in my head i guess i wondered if the overall altitude was higher but the descents were more even if that makes sense ie being a mountain range as opposed to several mountains close to each other, apologies for my general lack of alpine knowledge terrain wise, some hairy speeds there too !! looks like you certainly get the milage in bud haha
I must admit I chose the block of stats where I biked over the alps through the Dolimites from Germany to Lake Garda. Makes the statistics look more impressive.
Yeah that 10 hour day was heavy. My battery died on me too so the last couple of hundred vertical was without power. I thought I was going to die. was a lot of up down. and some flat.

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales
some
I must admit I chose the block of stats where I biked over the alps through the Dolimites from Germany to Lake Garda. Makes the statistics look more impressive.
Yeah that 10 hour day was heavy. My battery died on me too so the last couple of hundred vertical was without power. I thought I was going to die. was a lot of up down. and some flat.
hahah some standing on the cranks to climb was it hahahha extra man points for that

Dingo78

Jan 5, 2021
Belgium - Antwerp
Holy cow! that is a lot of expensive upgrades! Wouldn't it have been cheaper to buy a new bike with better components already on it.
Ok Not all are available like the grips and saddel, but Forks, brakes Seatpost and tyres all are available on models with higher specs.
You might have to put up with it being a full suspension bike though.

Yes, looking back buying a higher specced bike would have been much cheaper.. but when i bought it i had no idea i would want/need the upgrades ? I won't make that mistake when buying my next bike. But on the plus side, i did learn alot of mechanic skills doing the upgrades and gained a greater understanding in how everything works :)

IonutF

Oct 9, 2020
Romania
Started in smaller steps, having great plans for future updates

Upgrades done:
1. Nukeproof Horizon Race Grips A15 - red
2. Nukeproof Neutron Evo paddles
3. RapidRacer Fork textile mudguard
4. WTB Saddle

Planned upgrades:
1. Dirt tires since am planning to use the bike mainly on asphalt / easy forest trails and keep stock tires for mountain journeys
Schwalbe Super Moto-X RaceGuard 27.5" x2.8 Wired
Do you guys think it will fit 2.8" tires? Am expecting them to fit, as these are snakeskin like, and there seems to be enough space front/back
2. Shimano Saint breaks
3. Novatec / Hope hubs front and rear - red theme I would prefer, since the plan is to play with red and stock black/grey colors
4. Shimano disc-brakes IceTech technology (planned together with the hubs, since I'll change from centerlock to IS6 bolts
5. Rockshox mud guard for ZEB forks
6. I'll see what will "hit" me after completing the above

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales

Upgrades done:
4. WTB Saddle

Planned upgrades:
1. Dirt tires since am planning to use the bike mainly on asphalt / easy forest trails and keep stock tires for mountain journeys
Do you guys think it will fit 2.8" tires? Am expecting them to fit, as these are snakeskin like, and there seems to be enough space front/back
2. Shimano Saint breaks
3. Novatec / Hope hubs front and rear - red theme I would prefer, since the plan is to play with red and stock black/grey colors
4. Shimano disc-brakes IceTech technology (planned together with the hubs, since I'll change from centerlock to IS6 bolts
are you not finding the magura brakes good enough?

IonutF

Oct 9, 2020
Romania
are you not finding the magura brakes good enough?

Well, I "grew up" with Shimano Saint on my enduro Specialized, and Shimano Deore 596 and later Shimano Zee on my hardtail Trek.
The feeling you get when using Shimano mid-to-high level breaks is unique from my point of view.
Modulation, reach adjust, break lever on Shimano are a total different story.

Using the stock Magura so far, honestly, the brakes did not impress me at all. I find them ok.
For example, using only rear break, on asphalt I was not able to block/lock the wheel and this surprised me. If I am using both breaks (this being the proper way :) ) then I stop instantly.
I don't know about other higher level Magura's, but knowing that this brand is also covering enduro motorcycles brakes, I had really high expectations combined with by Shimano brakes experience, expectations which were not met.

To conclude, I find the stock Magura's ok, but I miss and have more confidence in Shimano breaks, specially that I am targeting Shimano Saint.

Dingo78

Jan 5, 2021
Belgium - Antwerp

Upgrades done:
4. WTB Saddle

Planned upgrades:
2. Shimano Saint breaks

Those are some nice upgrades comming! I'm not 100% sure, but don't the new Icetech disc rotors require centerlock?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles