Smoove lube

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Hi everyone, I hope you’re all enjoying thE Christmas holidays, for a while now I’ve been using Smoove Lube and it seemed to be doing what it was supposed to be doing, however, lately when I’ve washed my bike and chain using cold water, I’m finding the Smoove Lube has been washed off and my chain is going rusty, I’d be interested to know if anyone else uses this Lube and what their findings are with it please

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Yeah I think I’m going to change my lube, I watched a number of videos about Smoove and they all said how good it was and they weren’t company videos so I bought some and it seemed great, anyway I’ll use the other stuff I’ve got, cheers mate

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I used to use Finish Line wet lube in the wet season and FL Dry in the dry season, but now I just use the wet lube all year round. I have discovered that the key is to apply the lube after you have washed the bike, and then run through a towel before you ride. The formulation of wet lube resists wash-off on the trail. Any dust that sticks to the dry lube falls off the waxy coating. Wiping off the surplus wet lube before riding does the job. I get very good chain life.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Thanks for that Steve, I’ll give that a try as I’m going out tomorrow morning with some biking pals, much appreciate your help mate, all the best for 2023 Steve and everyone else too 😉

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Im having the same with boesshield t9.
It's great stuff in when its not wet. Last long and no mess. Bit lately when its muddy and I rinse off my bike and chain. The chain is all rusted up. Although the boesshield should be good against rust and water it just washes off.

Also looking for an alternative for the winter

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
It's great stuff in when its not wet. Last long and no mess. Bit lately when its muddy and I rinse off my bike and chain. The chain is all rusted up. Although the boesshield should be good against rust and water it just washes off.

I just bought some then discovered this :(

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
When I had just started mtb, the chain that came with the bike used to rust if the bike was put away wet. So I would apply Finish Line wet lube to the wet and filthy chain and the result was no rust!

I was only using this as a temporary fix as I was usually too wet, cold and tired to do a proper job. The bike got a proper clean and lube some time (days!) later, when it wasn't raining.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
When I had just started mtb, the chain that came with the bike used to rust if the bike was put away wet. So I would apply Finish Line wet lube to the wet and filthy chain and the result was no rust!

I was only using this as a temporary fix as I was usually too wet, cold and tired to do a proper job. The bike got a proper clean and lube some time (days!) later, when it wasn't raining.
Maybe I have to try that! Hose down the chain, wipe with a towel and just apply the stuff to a wet chain!
It says on the bottle it repels water from metal

mtb-steve

Nov 4, 2021
Cumbria
I just wipe the chain with a cloth to get the thick off, then spray with GT85. When I wash the bike I try to get the chain clean, again I get the worst of the water off and spray with GT85. I'll then lub with whatever I have laying around before going for a ride.
Chain is rust free and I'm washing at my convenience, I must point out that my bikes are in a heated dry workshop so everything dries off anyway, but if I don't spray the chain it'll go rusty.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I must admit I’m a bit anal about chain lube, I have plenty of the stuff and I’ve tried them all, I was sort of disappointed with the Smoove lube, it was great in the warmer months but rubbish in the wet, so for me in future I’ll be using my Muc-Off wet lube in the wet and the Smoove in the warmer months

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere

I just had a check on Lubricant Testing - Zero Friction Cycling and noticed he has added some stats for Boeshield T9, and it seems to be at the bottom of the list for how long a single application lasts. (Although middle of the pack for chain wear.)

To me Rex Black Diamond looks a good one if it lasts that long!

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Seems like they updated the list.
I'm don't want to mess with the hot waxm stuff.
But this stuff seems great
effetto mariposa flower power wax

Attachments

• Lubricant-detail-review-Effetto-Mariposa-Flower-Power-Wax-v1.2.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 141

Betadine

Jan 21, 2023
Toowoon Bay
I’ve had great success with Smoove but it’s generally dry weather riding here in Aus.

That said, Flow_MTB just shared some lube testing results from Zero Friction Cycling and it looks like TruTension Cycle Tungsten all weather is worth a look. Will be giving it a try.

mtb-steve

Nov 4, 2021
Cumbria
I’ve had great success with Smoove but it’s generally dry weather riding here in Aus.

That said, Flow_MTB just shared some lube testing results from Zero Friction Cycling and it looks like TruTension Cycle Tungsten all weather is worth a look. Will be giving it a try.
I use their banana slip chain lub on my motorbikes, works well and smells of bananas 😄

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles