Small Bosch chainring longevity

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Would be interesting to know how many miles people are getting out of those small Bosch chainrings and if you replace them at the same time as a chain.

I understand that because of their size, they wear incredibly quickly.

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
They do wear badly if you ride in very muddy conditions - I'd say in that case perhaps 750-1000 miles max. However when it does do just swap it round back to front to double the life. You will know when it wears badly because you get bad chain suck, especially with a new chain. I once drove 50 miles to do a ride, without checking that the new chain I put on actually worked with the old sprocket - managed 50 yards - doh!

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I’ve managed 1100 miles and chain wear has now crept up to 0.75. Everything seemed perfect but I decided to replace the chain. Bike was basically unusable after that. Terrible noise from front chainring and chain suck literally jammed the chain up on every rotation. Very dangerous. Didn’t notice any issues from the cassette however.

I put the old chain back on and all is perfect once again.

As an experiment I’ll flip the chainring over to the reverse side and try the new chain again and see what happens.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles