Big Bosch Chainring

Gofurtherfaster

Oct 10, 2018
The woods
Should definitely help improve the aesthetics, make it more like a normal bike, but also the more teeth, the less load per tooth and longer lasting chainrings. Yay.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
That’s not going to work with the Performance CX motor.

It would give fear ratios that are too high even for Wiltshire Warrior.

Gofurtherfaster

Oct 10, 2018
The woods
Yeah, its a bit of an odd one, I decided to just forget about the 2.5x ratio of the gearing system this morning, evidently. I don't even know how this would work on "any" of the bikes with 2.5x gearing, unless the non cx models are 1:1 geared, then it obviously makes sense.

My 15t works out at 37.5t equiv, if I got the 44t it would essentially act like a 110t up front, lol... could you even turn it?

Gofurtherfaster

Oct 10, 2018
The woods
I might get it, and just see what unreal speed I can get up to on my bike, on private land, unrestricted..

Is there any reason it wouldn't "fit" even if its not designed for this motor?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I have no idea, but you’d need a longer chain.

Welshman

Subscriber
Nov 8, 2018
South wales
Yeah, its a bit of an odd one, I decided to just forget about the 2.5x ratio of the gearing system this morning, evidently. I don't even know how this would work on "any" of the bikes with 2.5x gearing, unless the non cx models are 1:1 geared, then it obviously makes sense.

My 15t works out at 37.5t equiv, if I got the 44t it would essentially act like a 110t up front, lol... could you even turn it?
Active plus motor is 1:1 as I have a 38t chainring on mine

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Hopefully chainrings like this will fit the much rumoured new Bosch eMTB motor that is supposed to emerge later this year...

Gofurtherfaster

Oct 10, 2018
The woods
Where can I read these rumours please? I've not been able to find anything about the "new" motor people talk about on here, but I am curious..

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
NEC Cycle Show 2018 - mini show report - EMTB Forums

Bosch 2019 motor - Rumours - EMTB Forums

The most telling indication is from my conversation with Whyte at the NEC show. When they told me they were going to release a range of ebikes that included Bosch, Shimano and Fazua I told him I was surprised they were using Bosch as that motor wouldn’t really work well with Whyte’s view on trail bike geometry (short stays, long front centre). His response was “Yes, part of the reason these bikes have taken longer is because the components we wanted weren’t yet available”. :unsure:

Last edited:

Gofurtherfaster

Oct 10, 2018
The woods
Okay thanks, I don't really take that as evidence of a new motor, I do feel there would be leaks maybe 12-18 months prior to it coming out too, I think 2020 maybe more realistic perhaps?

Don't really understand the beef with the Bosch, there are Bosch powered bikes with 455 stays (which is short for emtb) and then you make the front centre as roomy as you like... maybe the components relate to a new way to position the motor, or a smaller casing perhaps?

Will keep my eyes out for news though

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Bosch are not stupid - they know leaks would devalue all the existing stock of bikes with a CX motor. This motor won’t be announced until just before bikes with it in become available to order.

Gofurtherfaster

Oct 10, 2018
The woods
Think maybe next March? Quite a few new models seem to get launched around that time, with possible announcement towards the end of this year?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles