• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Side wall tyre flat.

cpt_todger

Jun 4, 2023
Shropshire
Hi, I'm having no luck with my new bike. Two rides in and I have a flat and snapped my tyre levers.

My worry is air is escaping from the side wall of the tyre. No visible damage to the outside. But my schwalbe tyres have a pattern (put there by the schwalbe not damage) on the side and air is escaping along them in a 5cm patch.

Am I going to have to replace my tyre this quick?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
It sounds like a manufacturing fault in the tyre and is best taken back to the shop where you bought the bike from.

But if you can't easily make a warranty claim on them, then try changing your tubeless tyre sealant to a latex based one. If you are already using a latex sealant then add some more latex sealant and increase your tyre pressure to the max allowable stated on the tyre wall. Then lay the tyre down on top of a bucket or a plant pot. Place it such that the sealant will be covering the inside of the tyre wall where you suspect the wall is leaking. The extra pressure will push the sealant into the porous tyre wall. Best leave it for several hours; checking the tyre pressure at intervals. If the pressure drops, top it up again. You will know it has worked when the pressure stops dropping or reduces markedly. It will continue to improve.

I am assuming that you are already tubeless because you refer to air leaking through the tyre wall, which you would not see if you had a tube in there.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles