Shutting down on small jumps...

Channing

Oct 7, 2019
Kelowna, Canada
I have a really annoying problem. Every time I start down one of my local trails & hit a couple small jumps my whole system shuts off. I have checked connections, put a small amount of dielectric great on battery terminals (battery is not loose) The only other thing I can think of is to put a tiny bit of grease on the connections to display.

What I can't figure out is that when I pick the bike up & drop it or go down very rough & rocky terrain it's fine but every time I hit these small table-tops it shuts off...

I'll make a video of it next time I go out.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I'll make a video of it next time I go out.

Normally this is caused by either the battery, which you've ruled out, or tension on one of the e8000 cables. If they get squashed, pulled too tight or aren't seated correctly this seems to happen. Might be when you suspension extends or compresses, it's putting strain on one of the cables ? Sometimes it doesn't need much. Mine did it because I taped the display one to a brake hose to stop it flapping about. Was ok when I just taped it every 10 cm's instead.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Normally this is caused by either the battery, which you've ruled out, or tension on one of the e8000 cables. If they get squashed, pulled too tight or aren't seated correctly this seems to happen. Might be when you suspension extends or compresses, it's putting strain on one of the cables ? Sometimes it doesn't need much. Mine did it because I taped the display one to a brake hose to stop it flapping about. Was ok when I just taped it every 10 cm's instead.
I'm not sure if this is relevant to the OP's issues, but still - good call @Zimmerframe !

When I was making sure my chain was the correct length, I disconnected my rear shock to allow the swing arm to depress fully - to check how much chain length allowance is required, because most rear axle paths do pull away to some extent away from the chainring as it goes through its travel.

While doing this, I noticed that the speed sensor wiring as well as the rear brake hydraulic hose was getting yanked against the under-belly opening they both come out from. So I re-routed those cables so they didn't gnaw against the opening edge. I had to move the swing arm up and down repeatedly to check how the cables respond and moves along with the rear suspension travel.

Channing

Oct 7, 2019
Kelowna, Canada
This is not an uncommon problem as I've seen others report the same issue. Fortunately the solution isn't difficult. Although the battery seems secure, the base where the batter connects is often not without movement. I wedged a couple pieces of foam between the base & frame & ran a bead of hot glue along the right side while pulling base to the left. It is solid now & my bike doesn't shut off anymore :)

021.JPG

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The base is meant to move to facilitate getting the battery in when everything is correctly positioned to hold the battery tight - if the battery mount isn't correctly positioned then the movement in the base can cause problems

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles