Show us your tool boxes.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Lots of useful information.

I just tried the "Stroke test" you developed ..

View attachment 126553

Impure thoughts of Uma Thurman .... no Earthquakes ... I'm good .
Apparently there’s other tests with different results.
Starring at two puppies fighting under a blanket, or, riding towards a healthy lunch kit on the front of a cougar.

Good suggestion from forum members. 👍🏻

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Just for balance, this is my toolbox, …
You probably know this, but the ball-hex on the Allen wrenches can be helpful for difficult angles but can also be problematic. They can break or weaken if over-torqued. They can also easily strip the head if not inserted properly or over-torqued at an acute angle. IMG_6749.jpeg
I find the Park Tool Tri-wrench fairly useful.

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
You probably know this, but the ball-hex on the Allen wrenches can be helpful for difficult angles but can also be problematic. They can break or weaken if over-torqued. They can also easily strip the head if not inserted properly or over-torqued at an acute angle. View attachment 126573
I find the Park Tool Tri-wrench fairly useful.

I hear you, but that looks like operator error to me. :love:

The ones I bought were pretty cheap, as there was no way I could afford to replace the Snap On T bars I had - and the Park Tool Tri tool was also stolen. If I had to list every tool I no longer have, I think it would break my heart.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I hear you, but that looks like operator error to me. :love:
You’re probably right 👍🏻.
When I enter my garage shop I might develop some super-human-strength in this environment. You know …like the Hulk.

I need to be careful …or keep my torque wrench within reach. 😉

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Nice pics, good location. :)

Here's mine. I made it in 1970, when I was a 2nd year mechanical engineering apprentice. So that makes it 53 years old.
The two little holes in the handle area are where the brass rivets securing my name plate weakened and the plate disappeared.
Original paint finish, faded somewhat, it was garish when new. Every apprentice had to make one and carry it about with them from job to job. It now contains the tools I don't use much: hammers, spanners, punches, mole grips, small files etc.

Toolbox.jpg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
This was my father’s old amo box that was probably issued at the end of WW2. I took it years ago and started using it as a tool/parts box.
IMG_6772.jpeg
How old is that? I keep screws, nails, bolts etc. in there now.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Slightly off topic, ok a long way off topic but the trails I ride every week were overrun with Canadians from Canadia in the war. They were there through 1942-4 in the run up to D Day. Matter of fact, there was an abandoned tank on the South downs way that was buried in 1946, dug up again in the 1990's and only removed for restoration a couple of years ago. Would like to see the toolbox you'd need to fix that.

2650f06f-a1f5-4e31-be76-49cd558c899e2231f9f86cb3e352a2_Churchill_MK2_Tank_South_Downs.jpg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Long before I was born, my father was a navigator on a Lancaster. As they were crossing the channel towards France, both engines stopped. My father could not find his parachute so the pilot decided to glide to France. They barely cleared the channel and crash landed in a farmer’s mud field.

The crew stayed with the plane for several weeks and probably enjoyed the local surroundings.

Which makes me wonder 🤔, Do I have any siblings there that I don’t know about????🤷‍♂️

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
According to the date on the box, it's 81 years old!
He entered the Canadian military when he was 17 or 18 (1947). So he was probably issued the box after that. Regardless the box is 81 years old. He probably used it as a tool box for years before I grabbed it. I’ve never known what it was until about 10+ years ago.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Many years ago when my boys were pre teens, I bought them both a Stanley tool box each for Christmas, much to their bewilderment.

Every birthday or Christmas since I gift them a simple tool, a nice screwdriver, hammer, adjustable spanner, you know, tools. I’m hoping that one day they’ll actually appreciate the fabulous idea I had those many years ago and have been building them both a decent tool kit since, which they should keep for life

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Many years ago when my boys were pre teens, I bought them both a Stanley tool box each for Christmas, much to their bewilderment.

Every birthday or Christmas since I gift them a simple tool, a nice screwdriver, hammer, adjustable spanner, you know, tools. I’m hoping that one day they’ll actually appreciate the fabulous idea I had those many years ago and have been building them both a decent tool kit since, which they should keep for life
I just hope that they have inherited your "handiness". My mate was utterly and irredeemably useless! He once turned off the water to his washing machine thinking he was turning off the stop tap for the house. He then used a mole grip to remove a ball float valve in the loft and sheared the pipe. Instant mains pressure jetting across the loft! Panic phone call to me. I was there within 5 mins, but water was already streaming down the walls and into his main fuse box. I threw the main switch and then told him and his wife to open all cold taps and to flush the toilets (to reduce the water flow) while I searched for the stop tap. I had just found it and turned it off when the emergency response team from the local electricity board screeched to a halt outside the house and came rushing in. Followed a few mins later by a plumber! Other friends of his also turned up. It is surprising how many calls he had made while I was running round to his house. :ROFLMAO:

The following week he proudly showed me a mirror he had hung in the hall. It was a bit low for me, but it was hanging square. I would have hung it centrally between the door frame and the edge of a wall, but It looked OK. I knew he had plasterboard walls, so I asked him what fixing he had used. He didn't know, so I lifted the mirror off the wall to have a look, to find SEVEN holes of varying degrees of raggedness and a range of Rawlpugs, bits of wood, random bits of plastic and so forth. The mirror was only just wide enough to hide them! :ROFLMAO:

I never let him live it down.

Last edited:

BIG-DUKE-6

Feb 21, 2023
Usa
About 6-7 years ago we sold our house and purchased a new place further up Burke Mountain. I finished remodeling the upper floors before we moved in. I was then faced with a blank canvas in the tandem garage. I needed to build a new shop/tool box so I grabbed the measuring tape and started planning.

View attachment 126484
I measured and planed this area as a bike/work-shop. My truck wouldn’t fit in here so the entrance was used for the car. So I ordered some metal cabinets from Garage Living, new lighting, wall surface, etc, and got busy. I already knew I was probably a tool hoarder.

Then this happened. I was standing in the middle of the garage when the ground started shaking and the walls began moving. I made it to the man-door, where I fell through, and waited for the earthquake to stop. It didn’t.

I was face down on the entrance floor and was able to dial 911. I could barely speak …the 911 operator said an ambulance would be there in 6 hours. My wife found me when she got home from work, probably 4 hours later. I don’t remember any of this…apparently a week later I realized I was in a hospital with my wife by my side. She told me I had a stroke.

6 months later, after rehab, I finally returned home. Time to get busy again.

View attachment 126488
I needed a walker to get around (red with brakes) for awhile. The metal cabinets arrived and I knew they would be difficult to install. My left-side wasn’t working properly but my right side was fine. Time to install the pieces.

View attachment 126489
Since I’ve installed cabinets before, this was gonna be a bit of a comedy show with only one side of my body working.
Kinda like extreme physio-therapy😆.

View attachment 126491
Things started to come together. Work-tops to build, storage shelves to place, and tools to sort out.

View attachment 126492
My road bike days were over and sold all of them for a good price. Emtb’ing was the answer. Time to start collecting tools again.

View attachment 126493

View attachment 126494
This whole thing seems like overkill, but I made it my own. I spend a lot of hours of my free time here and I enjoy working on my bike(s) and any other bikes that wonder in here.

View attachment 126496

View attachment 126497
A small heater takes the chill off those cold winter nights.

Yeah, that’s a fake Xmas tree in storage.😳
As in Burke Va? Gods fingerprint?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Uncle Stihl! So nice to meet you after all these years. I'll just be moving my stuff into your garage, ok?
Yup. I was worried that it could be someone on these forums 😆.

If the dates line up…someone here could be my older bro/sis. I better touch up on my French language skills. 😳

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles