Show us your tool boxes.

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
My tool box and tools were stolen along with my Haibike and motorbike a few months ago, and I'm very slowly building up a collection of tools again. They're currently living in a cardboard box and I'm wondering what everyone is using to store their tool collection.

Pics and a brief comment on what it is please.

Zed.

Apr 26, 2023
Deepest Bandit country (Wales)
I think the best way to describe my tool storage is that theyr'e Spread around like a mad-woman's shit :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

mtb tools are in a plastic storage box that is too small so some regulars like allen-keys are in our cycling backpacks.

general tools, do I include the Lathes , milling-machine and various other metalworking things (not mentionig the welding equipment?) that are stuffed in my garage & workshop🤭

on a serious note, I'm lost on a suitable tool / spares. storage, sorta tempted with a toolbox 'sidebox' thing like Halfords Advanced 4 Drawer Side Cabinet | Halfords UK, can live in the house & lifted into my van for bikepark days:unsure:

Rich.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
on a serious note, I'm lost on a suitable tool / spares. storage, sorta tempted with a toolbox 'sidebox' thing like Halfords Advanced 4 Drawer Side Cabinet | Halfords UK, can live in the house & lifted into my van for bikepark days:unsure:.

Check out the dewalt tstak packing system. You can get different size toolboxes, drawers, parts organisers and rollers that clip together, so you could take the stuff you need when you go away, and add more storage when you need space.

IMG_2980.jpeg

Another option is the beta C41H, which is a mobile toolbox with drawers, parts organiser and detachable toolbox. You see quite a few of these in the paddock at race meetings, but they're a LOT of money and arent expandable.

IMG_2981.jpeg

Personally my toolbox is a old Clarke 3 drawer metal toolbox, but I never bother to take tools riding, other than the set of allen keys that lives in the car.

IMG_2982.jpeg

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
SGS Engineering have an excellent and wide range of well-designed and well-made toolboxes. They can be combined easily.

Tool Chests | Tool Boxes, Storage & Chests for Sale UK | SGS

They are self-assembly, but it's an easy job and the bits are all quality kit.
Here is mine. It comprises a top chest sat on a wheeled cabinet. The cabinet has a rubber mat on top.

Toolchest.jpg

The chest has three full-width sliding drawers of various depths. Also has three smaller sliding drawers. The top hinges upwards to reveal a full width deep tray for all the hand tools most frequently used. All drawers are roller, and contain a rubber mat. The cabinet has two deep full-width trays and a lift-up-and-slide door that reveals a large space where I put my portable tool box, my bearing puller case and my charger. The four castors are rubber wheeled and lockable.

Just found the link to the above combo. On sale for £131.09, free delivery, ten-year warranty.

Edit: I've just bought another one for my grandson for Xmas. It reminded me that the toolchest comes packed inside the cabinet. All you have to do is to attach the wheels to the cabinet. Like I said, an easy job.

Last edited:

mtb-steve

Nov 4, 2021
Cumbria
For the price I've found the Halfords advance toolbox to be good, I also use a lot of Halfords advance tool with a few Teng and other well known named bits n bobs.

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
Nice selection of wheelie trolleys in Steve's link above. I've got a Stanley branded trolley with 4 drawers - when the car is out of the garage I work on bikes and wheel the trolley over to the bike. The bike tools are in the drawers and the top is used as a shelf. It's very convenient and has allowed me to completely clean up the rest of the garage :)

trolley.jpg

Doj

Jul 14, 2022
Vic
I found a cheap medical cart for the base, & used a foam floor mat on top of it for the top cabinet.
Next on wish list is foam for the drawers to have cut-away tool storage!

IMG_4081.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Nice selection of wheelie trolleys in Steve's link above. I've got a Stanley branded trolley with 4 drawers - when the car is out of the garage I work on bikes and wheel the trolley over to the bike. The bike tools are in the drawers and the top is used as a shelf. It's very convenient and has allowed me to completely clean up the rest of the garage :)

View attachment 126271
Is that picture a "before" or "after" of the "completely clean up the rest of the garage"? :unsure:

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
It's very much a working set up. I should tidy it up but I just can't be bothered. Obligatory bottle of IPA hanging off the handle. The true mark of a world cup level mechanic😃

COTtD7nS.jpg
uI0nksHy.jpg
mLwAzZxd.jpg

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
SGS Engineering have an excellent and wide range of well-designed and well-made toolboxes. They can be combined easily.

Tool Chests | Tool Boxes, Storage & Chests for Sale UK | SGS

View attachment 125895

Edit: I've just bought another one for my grandson for Xmas. It reminded me that the toolchest comes packed inside the cabinet. All you have to do is to attach the wheels to the cabinet. Like I said, an easy job.
The box came and I thought I would take a look and check for damage. I opened the drawers in the cabinet and the instructions slid down the back and are lodged behind the tool chest. The base of the cabinet has been removed and the tool chest slid inside. I tried to pull out the toolchest to get at the instructions, but it is absolutely solid! So, it's all back in the box until I can get some advice from SGS on how to remove the toolchest! What did I say? An easy job! I must have been tempting fate! :rolleyes:
Bloody heavy too!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
About 6-7 years ago we sold our house and purchased a new place further up Burke Mountain. I finished remodeling the upper floors before we moved in. I was then faced with a blank canvas in the tandem garage. I needed to build a new shop/tool box so I grabbed the measuring tape and started planning.

IMG_6945.jpeg
I measured and planed this area as a bike/work-shop. My truck wouldn’t fit in here so the entrance was used for the car. So I ordered some metal cabinets from Garage Living, new lighting, wall surface, etc, and got busy. I already knew I was probably a tool hoarder.

Then this happened. I was standing in the middle of the garage when the ground started shaking and the walls began moving. I made it to the man-door, where I fell through, and waited for the earthquake to stop. It didn’t.

I was face down on the entrance floor and was able to dial 911. I could barely speak …the 911 operator said an ambulance would be there in 6 hours. My wife found me when she got home from work, probably 4 hours later. I don’t remember any of this…apparently a week later I realized I was in a hospital with my wife by my side. She told me I had a stroke.

6 months later, after rehab, I finally returned home. Time to get busy again.

IMG_7052.jpeg
I needed a walker to get around (red with brakes) for awhile. The metal cabinets arrived and I knew they would be difficult to install. My left-side wasn’t working properly but my right side was fine. Time to install the pieces.

IMG_7053.jpeg
Since I’ve installed cabinets before, this was gonna be a bit of a comedy show with only one side of my body working.
Kinda like extreme physio-therapy😆.

IMG_7115.jpeg
Things started to come together. Work-tops to build, storage shelves to place, and tools to sort out.

IMG_7357.jpeg
My road bike days were over and sold all of them for a good price. Emtb’ing was the answer. Time to start collecting tools again.

IMG_5356.jpeg

IMG_5355.jpeg
This whole thing seems like overkill, but I made it my own. I spend a lot of hours of my free time here and I enjoy working on my bike(s) and any other bikes that wonder in here.

IMG_6740.jpeg

IMG_6741.jpeg
A small heater takes the chill off those cold winter nights.

Yeah, that’s a fake Xmas tree in storage.😳

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles