Should the std MPH be increased by + 3mph to18mph

+ 3mph or no?

• Total voters

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
There's a big difference in derestricting an ebike completely, so it's effectively an off road motorcycle, and merely unlocking an extra 4mph so it's more useable on the road.

Reactions: Zed

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
Your missing the point @lightning.
Yes, I have used an extreme example but the premise still remains the same. More speed and power 'can' lead to loss/lack of control. It's one thing to express concern about ebikes being slow on the road because of the speed restriction. Its another to allow ebikes (which are permitted to be used wherever a bicycle can be used including the pavement) to be free to move at up to 20mph. Even electric wheel chairs are governed to adhere to a speed restriction.

IainF

Jan 10, 2021
UK
I've found that riding a conventionally restricted eMTB that I'm constantly hitting the limit on flat single track. This leads to a repetitive on/off assist as speed varies around 25Kmh and this just leads to an unpleasant ebike experience. As a result I've got my bike to think it's in the USA with a limit of 32Kmh as opposed to 25. This has transformed the bike (and the experience) for me, it's still possible to pedal to the limit but the extra few mph makes the experience much more exhilarating as I'm going much closer to the maximum speed that I actually want to go at. I suspect that it won't impact that much on battery life as I think that going that extra few mph faster uses much less power than climbing a steep climb.
I understand about legalities and warranties but any half decent roady can exceed 20mph on the road (in a situation where there are a lot more people around than where eMTBs are ridden) so it isn't immediately clear to me why the limit is set to 25Kph...

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
ln the USA ebikes can do 20mph and they don't seem to have any issues with that speed.
A regular mountain bike will generally be faster except on climbs.
l am not sure that the people in the USA who want ebikes banned from trails, would be any happier with them if they were restricted to 15mph rather than 20mph

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
It should be mentioned that in the USA, the use of ebikes varies from state to state. Unlike the UK where legislation is consistent, different states are free to ban or accept ebikes. If I'm not mistaken, it has only been quite recently that ebikes are allowed in New York and some states have outright banned them.
I would be a bit reluctant to use the US as an example regarding the ebike speed restriction.
Word is, they may follow suit with the European market and cap them to 15.5mph as well in an effort to push a bill which finally resolves the ebike usage.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
l didn't know that about the USA

That will be a bummer if it happens. l guess non-restricted ebikes will command a premium if it does happen!

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Frankly, I don't see the safety problem that has legislators' panties in a bunch, but I suppose there needs to be some kind of arbitrary standard that differentiates us from motorcycle riders. Here in the U.S., the rules for Class 1 limit the speed to 20 mph "assisted." But if you pedal faster, you go faster. The limiting factor is strength and skill, just like on any other bike. Although I've only been riding my emtb for less than two weeks, I'm not seeing my top speeds on technical downhills change much. My overall times are improving because I get a little extra help when rolling under 20, but the actual "speed limit" is my ability.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
So been E ing for a while and really getting to grips with "how to get the best out of my ride.com"

Trek powerfly 9.7 Bosch Performance CX with 85 nm update.

Now i totally get the de-resriction legality and agree on this as frankly is dangerous even in capable hands and for sure puts riders exposure to injury way up there.

However and after 300 odd miles of local trails and centres faaaast and cruisy, plus 20 odd years of analogue lunacy o)) I am more and more convinced that a 3mph increase would really give the EMTB experience a seriously good step up to proper flow when riding trails that we all love.

WHY?
Bare with me on this;

Undulating terrain - Now this is where +3mph really would be game on. Motor de coupling is just not instant at +15 mph well not on mine anyway so when you are in that trough on undulating terrain / trails that sucks the speed down + 3mph would actually give you that little boost to keep your flow going on the uphill side = BIG grins all the way.

Decents
I find that switching to eco or tour de-couples the bosch that bit quicker + most of us will travel faster than 18mph so no issue here.

Average spped
On most trails with a reasonable fitness I recon the average speed of any MTB - e or not is 18 mph?

On flat
18 mph Is still a very manegable speed for all levels and not a safety issue as stopping times would not be increasedmuch more than 1ft if that.

On a non technical gradient
18mph would probably be used, is still a very managable speed for all levels and not a safety issue for riders and non riders alike.

On technical gradient
+3 is just a bonus, would you use it all? probably not as on this type of terrain motor software is king +3 mph or no.

Summary
E biking is all about fun and that it is. However we all search for more out of our sports as is the nature of us all. Surely E bike manufacturers are thinking of ways to make the e bike experience better and better with lighter bikes, better performance etc etc but maye this has not been concidered as is actually a very realistic and flipping awesome upgrade that we would all just love.

It might be that I just love to rag trails and always search for more without having to spend a shit load of dollar, but with a conservative head we would all seriously benfit from this

For those that say its maybe be concidered a hazard i would say that I am sure the average EMTBerrrrs rational and skill level would dictate dictate how fast they travel on a trail and come to think about it could actually deter those that would get a full derestriction as18mph is actually a good speed to travel at for fun, taking in the wild woods we roam and for sure would make the difference without compromising safety.

ROB :)

It would be so good if this could get a vote type thing - dow - found poll option but feel free to edit vote options)

... and of course your thoughts on this one, maybe pass it out there to industry peoples. Who knows as this might actually get passed through to the honjos of the EMTB world.

LETS MAKE IT HAPPEN o))
The answer to all your above points already exists in the Levo SL!!!

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
ls that the lighter one with less assistance but rides like a normal bike when the motor is off, or over the assistance limit?

They look fabulous but sadly out of my reach price wise, the cheapest available is over £6,000

Maybe one day.

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
Mountain bikers should not be on towpaths! Cyclists can go on them but not mtbers... ?

I've yet to see a canal with a good descent on it!
1624014131754.png

sunstoner

Aug 2, 2020
Nottinghamshire
Your missing the point @lightning.
Yes, I have used an extreme example but the premise still remains the same. More speed and power 'can' lead to loss/lack of control. It's one thing to express concern about ebikes being slow on the road because of the speed restriction. Its another to allow ebikes (which are permitted to be used wherever a bicycle can be used including the pavement) to be free to move at up to 20mph. Even electric wheel chairs are governed to adhere to a speed restriction.

You mean like a non ebike being free and easier to move beyond 20mph on a pavement ? (with the right rider/hooligan of course)

What are the safety concerns here? is it the weight of an out of control ebike hurtling towards someone because I get that. Then again, a 15kg non ebike with a heavier rider is just as lethal are they not?. There is an age limit on these things. My kids cant have one as much as theyd love an ebike. Which is sensible because you do have to behave in a responsible and considerate manner, much like we do when driving our 100mph+ 1.5 or 2+ ton motors.

For many of us non athletes (possibly just me then :p) , an emtb tops out at or just over the 15.5mph because thats about as fast I can push it consistently on the flat. I can travel faster than that on my non ebike.

If 20mph spoils someone's ability to get fitter or somehow spoils a session on the trails because its too fast, then fair enough. Then maybe something like a Levo SL or a motor that allows for power customisation or even a non ebike might be a good option. (or simply keep the 15.5mph in place :p)

Im certainly not against 20mph. It would better suits the character of an emtb, offering more flexibility without taking the pi$$. imo.

Right, Im off for a beer .

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
My 2 cents. I'll always derestrict to 32km/h. It was nice with an e8000 to be able to use Stunlocker, switch to USA, and keep everything else standard. If I'd thought about it more I'd probably have not gone Bosch, but hopefully the Volspeed that's on it's way does the job.
On my local trails there's jumps that need that speed, and they're harder to do on a restricted ebike than they are on a standard bike.
If I can hit 32 on a Giant Reign, why not on an ebike? It's nuts. I can sit on 32 on a road bike for a long time and I'm a shit road biker.
32km/h it shall be, and yep nice if it was legal and less effort.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
32km/h it shall be, and yep nice if it was legal and less effort.

In a lot of different ways, it seems like those of us in the States are more apt to flout irrational rules. If it was easy, I would probably unrestricted my bike without giving it a second thought. After all, how would it even be possible for the authorities to know how fast you your bike can run with assist? They couldn't, without riding it.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
l doubt that the Police would ever prosecute you for doing 18mph on an Ebike.
They don't seem to do much about the 1,000w ebikes sorry "electric motorcycles" that l've seen flying round the local roads.

Ramsyzool

Jun 5, 2021
United Kingdom
Ultimately ebikes are privvy to the same rules non ebikes are. It's all down to the person sat on the saddle and how skilled/mindful they are. Doesn't matter if you're propelled by a motor or propelling yourself to the same high speeds on a non electric bike - the person pedalling has a responsibility that not everyone will take seriously. To arbitrarily take someone's own duty of responsibility away, when they are likely a contributing member of society to be able to afford an ebike, by restricting them to a measly 15mph, will just breed resentment of the system and force people into criminality by doing the only sane thing in derestricting their bikes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles