Should ebikes be 10 speed ?

MB1

Dec 28, 2019
Cumbria
EX1 8 speed on mine (10 on previous emtb), appears to be fine and problem free. There is the odd occasion when I feel I could use a gear in between, but being honest it’s rare. Expensive, but to date it’s been bomb proof. Would expect for me, between 8 and 10 would be optimal.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Does anybody actually find 10 speed chains last longer? I have not.

Dont mistake me, I like my 10 speed, but I like it becuase it continues to work reasonably well even when conditions are less than perfect, and parts are generally less costly. I do not find that 10s chains last any longer.

Mini si

Dec 31, 2020
Derbyshire
just the price of 10 vs 12 cassette = no brainer for me
So this is just me being lazy but what’s the price difference in your experience (or anyone else who’s made the same change) between a new 12 speed cassette and chain vs 10 speed shifter, mech, chain and cassette?
Presumably it’s a bigger out lay to swap everything over in the first place then cheaper there after when just replacing chains/cassettes?
Regarding the chain, the main thing I seem to have read is not necessarily a longer life but less prone to snapping, is that people’s experience or have I misunderstood?

>moto<

Jan 4, 2021
Sunshine Coast
I must be made different, I use the low gears more on my eBike. Whenever I'm out riding a I see a hill that looks mildly do-able I'll have a crack at it. It's the fun of having an eBike.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I must be made different, I use the low gears more on my eBike. Whenever I'm out riding a I see a hill that looks mildly do-able I'll have a crack at it. It's the fun of having an eBike.
There are a few. My bikes are set up to average 12 mph and climb like goats. Super lite trials enduro.

Mini si

Dec 31, 2020
Derbyshire
There are a few. My bikes are set up to average 12 mph and climb like goats. Super lite trials enduro.
I think in the right hands my bike would climb like a goat, it’s me who’s got some work to do!! ?
I went from a hard tail to my Cube Stereo 160 about 8 months ago and even now when I go out I can’t believe where it will go!! I’m sure (if it wasn’t for me) there would be no stopping it!!

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I think in the right hands my bike would climb like a goat, it’s me who’s got some work to do!! ?
I went from a hard tail to my Cube Stereo 160 about 8 months ago and even now when I go out I can’t believe where it will go!! I’m sure (if it wasn’t for me) there would be no stopping it!!
I agree, with good tyres at the right pressure i am amazed the places my bike will go up or down and i am no expert.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
The worst climb in the daily ride. Almost never clean it. It's about 300 feet up, these are the last 50 feet, which are of course the worst. The cassette today is a deore 10 speed 11-42 with the 11 tooth cog removed, and a spacer used to shift the drive line away from the muddy rear tire. Prevention is the best medicine and I find this keeps the chain clean for giving up a gear I dont use in the mud. I use the limit screw as stated above somewhere, to keep the shifter from indexing off the 9th gear.
20210329_100117.jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles