Shorter Cranks

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Pedal strikes suck. Nearly all of my worst crashes have been due to that and even 5mms makes a big difference. I have gradually gone shorter and shorter over the years and have spent the last 12 months on 155s. If I bend a crank again I think I would try 150s next as I have never once felt the urge to ever go back once dropping down so I don't yet know where that point would be

weiran

Jul 8, 2023
UK
Bike came with 165 but thought I’d give 150 a go as I was getting so many pedal strikes and efficiency wasn’t a priority.

Immediate huge decrease in pedal strikes. Both going fast downhill (scary time to pedal strike) and when pedalling over obstacles.

I’ve got shorter legs for my height so 150mm feels good. Still more than enough leg separation for moving the hips too.

I got Miranda cranks mainly because of availability and the sheer range of sizes they offer.

I’d love to hear if anyone know of other options for 150mm EP8 cranks?

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Been so many pedal strikes with 165's that have just parted with £much to buy 2 sets of Hope 155 cranks for our Trek Rails. I'm 5'10"/178cm with a relatively long inseam. My wife is 5'7"/170cm and shorter cranks would be better for her anyway.
Decided that £much was £toomuch so returning them. Instead getting Miranda 155mm cranks which are about third of the price of Hopes.

CarbonMan

Apr 14, 2022
Connecticut
From a pure torque POV, going from 175 to 165 is like going from 52 to 49 biggest cog (and effectively scaling the others similarly).
The feet travel a smaller circle which may feel better (or not) and may allow marginally higher max cadence.
Whether any of that's a big deal or not, will depend on personal preference. I think if you prefer to spin, shorter will work better. If youre more of a diesel, longer might be preferred.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
From a pure torque POV, going from 175 to 165 is like going from 52 to 49 biggest cog (and effectively scaling the others similarly).
The feet travel a smaller circle which may feel better (or not) and may allow marginally higher max cadence.
Whether any of that's a big deal or not, will depend on personal preference. I think if you prefer to spin, shorter will work better. If youre more of a diesel, longer might be preferred.
eBikes are not fixies. 😉

RacerX

Nov 19, 2023
Austin Texas
I’ve been looking for some shorter cranks, around 155mm, for Bosch / Isis

Surprisingly I can’t find many manufacturers making them

Hope - around £150

Pinnd - around £150

FSA - around £30 (cast not CNC)

Any others that I’ve missed ?
5DEV-E X2 , Forx E Cranks. I went with 145 Pinnd

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
Decided that £much was £toomuch so returning them. Instead getting Miranda 155mm cranks which are about third of the price of Hopes.
#irie
Because Merida cranks are a very a reasonable price.
I'd rather pay that then more expensive ones just incase I didn't like them
I went on there website and bought 150 & 155 isis cranks
Cost me £103.00 deliverd, they also come with self releasing bolts which the one on Amazon don't
It took 7 days to get them

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
#irie
Because Merida cranks are a very a reasonable price.
I'd rather pay that then more expensive ones just incase I didn't like them
I went on there website and bought 150 & 155 isis cranks
Cost me £103.00 deliverd, they also come with self releasing bolts which the one on Amazon don't
It took 7 days to get them
Miranda are closed and nothing will be shipped until 19th February.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles