Shorter Crank Arms on Levo / Kenevo?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
As not all people's experiences are the same, is there a way of giving user ratings for a particular item?

UKPHOTO

May 21, 2018
United Kingdom
Ecky thump, no kidding the original crank bolts are in there.
For those already changed (some multiple times ?) what grease are you using? Or copper ease?

Not ever having come across self extracting bolts before. My "normal bolts" arrived today along with everything else but guess my self extracting be here tomorrow. Can I assume the self extracting actually screw into the arm (prior to installation onto crank) as there is an outboard thread inside the new crank arms?

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
For those already changed (some multiple times ?) what grease are you using? Or copper ease?

Not ever having come across self extracting bolts before. My "normal bolts" arrived today along with everything else but guess my self extracting be here tomorrow. Can I assume the self extracting actually screw into the arm (prior to installation onto crank) as there is an outboard thread inside the new crank arms?
Hi UKPHOTO,
WH
Bryan is indeed very helpful guy.

In other news, would seem SRAM is "getting it" now and will be offering a range of EX crank arm lengths;

New Products & Updates From Bell, SRAM, Formula - Bike Connection 2018 - Pinkbike

Good to see!
Here is the extract if anyone is interested

FDAD7104-17A1-4219-99AA-733B1FC7ECE2.jpeg

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales

I will do some pics for you so you can see what you need to do.

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Cheers mate.

Have removed non-chain side. Just chilling now.

Fitted new 36t chainring in mean time which was fiddly but painless.
Cheers mate.

Have removed non-chain side. Just chilling now.

Fitted new 36t chainring in mean time which was fiddly but painless.

Here you go

001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg
004.jpg
005.jpg

Last edited:

UKPHOTO

May 21, 2018
United Kingdom

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
You Sir are a bloody star!
Seeing as fave country ever lived is NZ and my family are from Wales, no surprise I guess ?

I'll wait for the self extracting bolts tomorrow and leave the normal ones.

Thanks again! Surely such concise information will assist others too ?
Your most welcome ;)

Last edited:

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
My recent pedal strike left me with a broken neck. When recovered I have fitted 165 XTs in place of the standard 170s. I have a 36" inseam so didn't want to go shorter. Anyway mine was more not looking where I was going more than anything else.

Anyone interested in a set of near mint e800 cranks?

Hope your healing ok dude

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Normal bolts secure the crank arm to the bottom bracket. To remove the crank arm you would need an Allen key to undo the bolt and a crank puller/extractor to remove the crank from the BB. The crank puller would need a spanner to fit it to the crank and an Allen key to drive the centre bolt.
Ice Toolz Crank Removal Tool with 8mm Hex Key - EMTB Forums
A self extracting bolt is essentially two bolts combined. A centre bolt that secures the crank to the BB and an outer bolt that secures the centre bolt to the crank arm but still allows it to rotate. When you undo the centre bolt, it pushes against the outer bolt which acts as a crank puller and removes the crank. Post #188 covers this very well.

ElectricGuv

May 30, 2018
Australia
Normal bolts secure the crank arm to the bottom bracket. To remove the crank arm you would need an Allen key to undo the bolt and a crank puller/extractor to remove the crank from the BB. The crank puller would need a spanner to fit it to the crank and an Allen key to drive the centre bolt.
Ice Toolz Crank Removal Tool with 8mm Hex Key - EMTB Forums
A self extracting bolt is essentially two bolts combined. A centre bolt that secures the crank to the BB and an outer bolt that secures the centre bolt to the crank arm but still allows it to rotate. When you undo the centre bolt, it pushes against the outer bolt which acts as a crank puller and removes the crank. Post #188 covers this very well.
Ta. So if I want to change the crank arms on my Kenevo, will I only need an 8mm Allen key to remove existing crank arms and then just the new ISIS crank arms and M15 self extracting bolts?

Last edited:

UKPHOTO

May 21, 2018
United Kingdom
Ta. So if I want to change the crank arms on my Kenevo, will I only need an 8mm Allen key to remove existing crank arms and then just the new ISIS crank arms and M15 self extracting bolts?
Basically yes. If you go back a couple pages in this thread Rob has a link to std bolts and Kiwi a link for self extracting ones.

JayB

Apr 7, 2018
South Carolina, USA
@Kiwi in Wales In your post #98 above, you posted info for the self extracting bolts you found, but I am unable to grab a link from the photo. I may be missing it, but would you please repost a hot link that takes me to the merchant? Really appreciated the photos and info on your instructional Post #188. Thanks!

JayB

Apr 7, 2018
South Carolina, USA
Thanks UKPHOTO, this is the Post #98 on Page 4 that I referred to, but seems to be a pic instead of a hot link. I’m a new member, so I’m assuming I’m either missing something or don’t know how to grab the link. Working with Brian at Dillglove on 152mm crank arms, but would rather use self,extracting bolts.

ElectricGuv

May 30, 2018
Australia
Thanks UKPHOTO, this is the Post #98 on Page 4 that I referred to, but seems to be a pic instead of a hot link. I’m a new member, so I’m assuming I’m either missing something or don’t know how to grab the link. Working with Brian at Dillglove on 152mm crank arms, but would rather use self,extracting bolts.
I'm just manually typed and searched within eBay app, easy.

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
We'll, she's all done.
No fan of alloys and the one crank arm had rubbish crank and pedal threads, but I believe I won in end.
No real test as of yet but round an undulating garden all seems good.

View attachment 2731
Let me know how you get on

I like your bike stand!!!
I have one exactly the same, I find it great for doing minor work on the bike like supporting the bike while cleaning it, cleaning and oiling the chain, checking air pressure in the tyres, checking chain wear, gear adjustment, rear brake adjustment etc,
Great piece of kit and inexpensive! (y)

Last edited:

UKPHOTO

May 21, 2018
United Kingdom
Let me know how you get on

I like bike your stand!!!
I have one exactly the same, I find it great for doing minor work on the bike like supporting the bike while cleaning it, cleaning and oiling the chain, checking air pressure in the tyres, checking chain wear, gear adjustment, rear brake adjustment etc,
Great piece of kit and inexpensive! (y)
Will do mate.

Currently re-indexing gears. My middle gears seem excessive in their changing (but I'm being finicky).

As for stand, I reckon it's THE most useful bit of kit I've bought!

On another note, I'm loving the Crank Brothers large Stamps thus far.
Was running Specialized Bennies, but seeing as changed front chainring and crank arms I treated her to new pedals too (thin as, even more clearance ?).

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The Miranda cranks on my Bosch felt like the pedal holes hadn't been tapped properly, especially the left hand threaded one. They certainly haven't got the same quality standards as Shimano.

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
I was speaking to a biker tester last night; he mentioned next year ebikes will be coming with shorter cranks and a DH rider had mentioned it was more difficult to balance with shorter cranks

Has anybody noticed the difference in balancing the bike? with the shorter stance\feet closer together.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
going from 165 to 152 means your feet are 26mm closer together front to back but with the slightly wider Qfactor of the miranda cranks about 3-4mm a side your feet are also wider apart in a side to side direction
I doubt you would notice, I will let you know later my Miranda cranks just showed up in the post

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles