Shorter Crank Arms on Levo / Kenevo?

villho

May 26, 2018
Siuntio,Finland
Not sure if the Danish site still has those 150s (or if they deliver outside Scandinavia) - I ordered mine two weeks back, but got them installed only now as I was missing suitable bolts.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
cool thanks Chris its the offset thats worrying me I like a wide QF and im worried the venture 2 will be a bit narrow for me. If you are willing to lend me a set when you are ready would be really good to try

As I was removing the Venture 2 cranks I noticed that the black paint has worn off where the bolt fixes the crank to the ISIS connection much more than the original Praxis cranks. As my ankles stick out more than other peoples this may not be a problem in regards to clipping your ankles on the cranks whilst pedaling. I wear FiveTen Freerider EPS Highs so this is probably why I have not noticed this issue before but like I said this may not be a problem for most as I have very sticky out ankles :rolleyes:

If you are worried about clipping your ankles or wearing the paint off your cranks using the Venture 2's then this may be a valid concern. The QF on the Kris Holm cranks are HUGE compared to the Venture 2's so they will definitely resolve this issue.

I have just fitted the Kris Holm Spirit 137mm cranks, see the photos below, it really is a night and day difference regarding Q Factor so hope this helps.

I think it will be an interesting first ride on them this afternoon

e.PNG
f.PNG

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Chris can you do me a favour can you give me a measurement from centreline of the crank to outside of the chainstay please on each of the cranks if poss
cheers

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Chris can you do me a favour can you give me a measurement from centreline of the crank to outside of the chainstay please on each of the cranks if poss
cheers
Hi Dave,
Just to confirm, do you mean this measurement on both sides?

If yes, It is 22mm on the left and 26mm on the right

g.PNG

Last edited:

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Well, I think all of us, who have installed 150s have also read that article.
Correct, I read it when it first came out last year. It didn't stop me putting 150's on as I was sick of getting pedal strikes on my 170mm Praxis cranks.
If I lose a few watts (They were talking 25W in the article over 150 metres) using 150's in my opinion, it is worth it as once you get to the technical sections you will not get as many pedal strike issues.

I was more than happy with using my 150's for 4 months.

Had my first ride out on my 137's last night and it is very early days yet but they seem fine to me ;).
Latest feedback is as follows: Remember this my first ride and I was with an analogue rider so I could not fly up the hills at a great rate of knots like I usually do.

1. I turned the cranks, they turned the wheels - Did I notice any loss of power or did I feel I needed to put more energy into the pedal strokes... No. Why not? Well it is only a 13mm/0.5 of an inch difference between these and the set I already had on so..... No, but it is still early days and I need to do a ride by myself or with another ebiker.
2. I got up the climbs - Did I notice any loss of power or did I feel I needed to put more energy into the pedal strokes... No, Why not? As above
3. I got down the downhill sections - Did I notice that the platform I was standing on was smaller... No, Why not? It felt the same as my 150's.
4. I cleared my usual run of 4 in a row 25 - 30 foot table tops - Did I notice that the platform I was standing on was smaller... No, but I did feel I got more height and this caused me to over jump 2 of the table tops. I nailed the other 2 with perfect landings
5. I hoofed along my usual single track and at the end got up the usual super steep off Camber bank where I normally just clip the right hand pedal. Did I clip the right hand pedal?... No, and I turned around and did it 2 more times with the same result. Tick in the box for the 137's (y)
6. I completed my 'ebike Trials' run which I created a few months back. This is a very technical run which gives you multiple pedal strikes if using 170's and the odd pedal strike if using 150's. Did I get any pedal strikes? Yes, but only one as I was going a lot faster than I normally do as the confidence was starting to build after being on the bike for over an hour..

As I said, its very early days yet but my first impression is positive :)

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
@villho do you have the 2018 Alu Levo? I have tried the Nimbus 2 cranks on the Carbon and the left crank arm doesn’t fit, it scrapes along the motor housing at 11 o’clock ?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
OK, the Nimbus Cranks definitely do not fit on the 2018 Carbon Levo!

I just spoke with Bryan at Dillglove who import the Miranda cranks, he's going to send me the Miranda 150mm, hopefully they'll fit. Ill keep you updated.

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Hi All,

I was out again this morning and by myself so no one around to restrict me putting in a fairly intense effort.

Now before you read the following.....
This is my personal opinion of Strava. It is NOT accurate and should be used as a rough training GUIDE only. Yes it is great to get a KOM, but when you get a KOM (and I received 2 of these a few weeks back) just riding down a fire road where Strava has accidentally picked you up on a trail next to the fire road then you really have to question Strava's accuracy. To get a more accurate picture I think you would have to take 10 or 20 snapshots of exactly the same runs and divide them by 10 or 20. Anyway, like I said, this is purely my opinion.

Here is my feedback of my second ride with 137mm cranks. Some of the trails were the same and some of them different from yesterday. According to Strava I did a few personal bests and a number of 2nd fastest and 3rd fastest times so 'as a guide' the cranks do not appear to be taking too much Wattage off me :)
The BIG eye opener for me today was how well the bike pedaled on the very technical climbs especially on my 'ebike Trials' trail run. I was able to pedal almost continuously over a lot of terrain where I would normally be reading the trail and holding back or just putting in half a quick crank turn due to being cautious of pedal strikes.

Still early days yet but I am definitely getting more confident with these shorter cranks and what they can do. ;)

Please note:
Having shorter cranks where I ride for me, is necessary. If you do not ride technical uphill or do not pedal round corners you will probably never need them. If you are getting multiple pedal strikes then may be shorter cranks could be an option for you. You will need a longer dropper post for sure if you use a dropper post. I am using a 170mm one and it is perfect for my riding style.

Strava 03.PNG

Strava 02.PNG

Strava 01.PNG

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The Lekky Trekky has 175s...

I don't suppose any of you stumpy-cranked warriors fancy chucking a set of 160s my way to try?

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
The Lekky Trekky has 175s...

I don't suppose any of you stumpy-cranked warriors fancy chucking a set of 160s my way to try?

Unfortunately I do not have any that long Doomanic.... ☹️

However, If you can get the contact details for Miranda off Rob their cranks are available I believe in 5mm or less increments from 175 down to 150.

villho

May 26, 2018
Siuntio,Finland
First ride with 150s done and there is no going back. I had zero hits and didn’t note any strange with the cadence, torque, power or anything. At few places I prepared myself to take a hit, but there was enough clearance and I was able to continue pedaling.

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
First ride with 150s done and there is no going back. I had zero hits and didn’t note any strange with the cadence, torque, power or anything. At few places I prepared myself to take a hit, but there was enough clearance and I was able to continue pedaling.
Glad you have had a good first experience with the 150's. There is no going back for me either (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

UKPHOTO

May 21, 2018
United Kingdom
I believe so, however, I called Dillglove and told them I had a Levo and they sent the correct arms (I hope, not yet fitted!!). I think they make a single ISIS type though, so likely the same.
Just been in touch with Dillglove, boy they're quick to reply!
They said wait to see how you get on with them Rob ? Then happy to supply same.
So, we're waiting on Guinea pig Rob ?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Just been in touch with Dillglove, boy they're quick to reply!
They said wait to see how you get on with them Rob ? Then happy to supply same.
So, we're waiting on Guinea pig Rob ?
Yep, they were really good, called me on Saturday then Monday to do the actual order. Great service.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles