Shoes.

Gofurtherfaster

Oct 10, 2018
The woods
I feel as though I probably should have elaborated...

Has anyone got anything to say about their shoes?
Is there a noticeable difference from a pair of skate shoes?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yes, bin the skate shoes and get a proper pair of riding shoes, Five Tens are considered the best shoe for flat pedals due to their ultra grippy soles, but there are lots of different shoes out there, but they are probably the safest bet for a first pair.

Pro[er MTB tend to have stiffer soles, way moire grip, bit more protection, and a tougher build.

Gofurtherfaster

Oct 10, 2018
The woods
Haha, can't I keep my skate shoes too?

Yeah, that is what I hear.... but what is the ACTUAL difference? My feet don't fly off the pedals, they are never wet or really that cold.

And any preference with which sole they use?
Thanks

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Well its hard to describe, I too wear Vans or a pair of old Nike Air Morgan BMX shoes from time to time, but I would say the main difference tends to be a stiffer sole which is more responsive, and the levels of Grip.

I rode for years in skate shoes, and when I eventually caved in and got some proper shoes, I cursed myself for not doing it earlier.

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
FiveTens ... next!

I have three pairs ... Impact Highs which I use in winter for the warmth and protection. These are heavy, clumpy and take a while to dry but despite this for some reason I still like them. I have Impact VXI for summer riding and a pair of Freerider canvas which I wear to work but will eventually ride in the summer when the VXIs eventually die.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I still have a pair of 510 Low Impact. Fantastic grip, too good in fact as I could not shuffle my foot once it was on the pins. I had to lift clean off and replace - not always easy when bouncing down a rough trail. In addition they soaked up water like a sponge, weighed a ton and then took days to dry out. I know that 510 has brought out some less sponge-like uppers, but my originals are now only used in the dry part of the Summer.

My footwear of choice for the last 5-6 years has been the Shimano AM41. The grip is terrific yet still allows me to shuffle my foot if I have to without having to completely lift off. The shoes do not soak up water, they just get wet and then dry out overnight. My second pair still has another year of life left in trhem and I have just secured a third pair still in their box. Sadly the AM41 was replaced by newer models last year or maybe the year before. The rubber of the sole is probably the same composition though (or I hope it is).

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yes, bin the skate shoes and get a proper pair of riding shoes
Alternatively learn how to ride, pre-load, grip, weight/unweight, pedal, slide a foot etc. with a flat pedal properly. ie. without the lack of feel a stupid big bulky stiff super sticky sole gives you.

Footwear choice is kinda like an extension of the "Flats or SPDs?" question.
SPDs are faster (under the right rider) and more secure
Flats are more fun (and offer more freedom)

5:10s are more secure but skate shoes are more fun.

The lack of feel thing/less fun is similar with gloves and condoms.

#chooseFUN

disclaimer: I'm talking from experience not just being a Fanboi and do actually have 5:10s, gloves and condoms.. Hateful things the lot of them ;)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Slightly more helpful less piss takey reply:
Modern Vans aren't as good as a lot of the older ones were as mtb shoes.
I have pro versions and wear them all the time in civies. i ride in civies a lot. but I wouldn't wear them for rough mtb. the soles and instep are not as thick as they once were so cause more fatigue over long rough descents.
My riding shoes are Etnies kingpin. (I have maybe 6 pairs of 'em) the version with the Calicut soles (an inferior ribbed wavey patern gum sole was available for a while and it's too soft and wears too quickly).
They offer (for me) the perfect mix of grip/slidiness and sole thickness to feel the pedal but not fatigue my feet.
I have an old foot injury from complete bone reconstruction so the fatigue thing is pretty important to me.

@R120 Talking of foot injuries. did you notice Josh is now riding a lot more in Vans now he's sacked off racing for jibbing about and being stylishAF and rad in short BMX style edits. I'd put money on him doing this partly for feel and freedom.
#420 ;)

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
I’ve got the Adidas terrex boots, very comfy, decent protection and grippy soles.
Not the warmest with normal socks but perfect with neoprene ones.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yes I have noticed that, as does Nico Vink and some others. When I rode Vans I used to put a stiffer insole in, with a bit more padding - I actually use the one of a pair of snowboard boots that I had take out as I have custom insoles in my snowboard boots.

If I was larking around, then I get wearing skate shoes, I prefer proper shoes out on the trails though as I tend to ride a bit mx style and plant my foot down a fair bit. I also find a pair of Vans last about a month before falling apart.

I am quite interested in the Etnies Jameson Mid Crank which is Semenuks pro model for summer riding, and appears to be a beefed up skate shoe:

JAMESON MID CRANK | etnies.com UK

The best shoes I ever had, which I dont think they do anymore, was the Nike SB Mogan mid that the used to do in a BMX version with a stiffer sole.

nike6-zm-moganmid2-sh-blkantrct-touryllw-12.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I’ve got the Adidas terrex boots, very comfy, decent protection and grippy soles.
Not the warmest with normal socks but perfect with neoprene ones.

I have a pair too, but the normal ones, great shoes, mix of the five 10 grip with some decent walking grip too. These ones

p5pb13887482.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Vans I used to put a stiffer insole in, with a bit more padding -
That's exactly what Vans themselves now do to make the distinction betwen the Pro and regular models. charging you £25 for the improvement. ;)

that jamieson sole probably won't last with big pins and rough mtb. not really what Semeneuk does tho. Just a Vans Pro shoe alternative really.
put a Calicut sole on 'em and i'd be all over them though

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have too many shoes anyway, got two sets of five tens, the high and low EPS versions which I use over the winter, then a pair of Specilized 2FO which I love the fit and build of, but have way too hard a sole and aren't grippy enogugh, and the Adidas which I really like, as they are light, have a five ten sole, but also have protective toe and heel cups are like the Specilized SFO's

I will be getting a pair of these when they become available in the uk;

Men's TNT

launch-tnt-mens-grey-profile_right_48b3dd54-2a49-4c45-9f82-941a7d69152f_2048x.png

Reactions: Bis

ULEWZ

Nov 27, 2018
Northridge, Ca
I use something a little different. Here in socal, our dirt tends to be hard and slippery. Silt on top, so I choose something that grips great, but without a center step that limits foot movement. Merrell moab hiking shoes work for me and very comfortable with Superfeet inserts for rigidity. Just my take.

Gofurtherfaster

Oct 10, 2018
The woods
Well its hard to describe, I too wear Vans or a pair of old Nike Air Morgan BMX shoes from time to time, but I would say the main difference tends to be a stiffer sole which is more responsive, and the levels of Grip.

I rode for years in skate shoes, and when I eventually caved in and got some proper shoes, I cursed myself for not doing it earlier.
Nice. Thanks bud!

Gofurtherfaster

Oct 10, 2018
The woods
I have too many shoes anyway, got two sets of five tens, the high and low EPS versions which I use over the winter, then a pair of Specilized 2FO which I love the fit and build of, but have way too hard a sole and aren't grippy enogugh, and the Adidas which I really like, as they are light, have a five ten sole, but also have protective toe and heel cups are like the Specilized SFO's

I will be getting a pair of these when they become available in the uk;

Men's TNT

View attachment 10418
Love those.... might well wait a little longer.

RobNevyn

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Nov 19, 2018
Central Coast NSW Australia
I was originally using Etnies Barge skate shoes but I was slipping off them too often, I now have a pair of Five Ten Freerider Pro's and although the cost is dramatically more than popular skate shoes I find that I stay on the pedals in the rough stuff, they just seem to work for me.

I find it interesting Gary, that you use Etnies Kingpins, I seriously considered getting a pair of these before getting the Five Tens. May end up with a backup pair to test'm out.

hiro

Jan 7, 2019
South Yorkshire
I use something a little different. Here in socal, our dirt tends to be hard and slippery. Silt on top, so I choose something that grips great, but without a center step that limits foot movement. Merrell moab hiking shoes work for me and very comfortable with Superfeet inserts for rigidity. Just my take.
Coincidentally that’s exactly what I’m wearing on mine, very new to MTB and have yet to get any specific bike shoes so am wearing my favourite hiking shoes

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
Anyone wearing something water proof? I've been wearing leather/ goretex walking boots and whilst they keep my feet dry my toes get freezing cold even with thick socks.

Timbo

Aug 31, 2018
France
Anyone wearing something water proof? I've been wearing leather/ goretex walking boots and whilst they keep my feet dry my toes get freezing cold even with thick socks.
Sealskinz and Merrel goretex shoes, toasty toes even in the snow.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere

I'm using Northwave Outcross Plus GTX, which are great and waterproof! They can be used either with cleats for clipless, or a rubber attachment instead of cleats to make them flats instead.

northwave.jpg

However, I doubt they are warmer than walking boots. They do have a stiffer sole, which works better for cycling. For warmer feet I use Hot Hands Foot Warmers - you can just stick them to your socks on top of the toes.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The Five Ten Freerider EPS have been doing a good job for me over the winter - Water will eventually get in to them in really bad conditions, but teased up with sealskins they work well.

IMG_4674.jpeg

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
I use my hiking boots summer and winter, they are years old and high quality. High end hiking boots have a stiff sole, a lot of support inside and generally waterproof. After years of being clipped in I find higher sides protect my ankles and the heel helps with placement.

20190203_091233.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles