Shimano's pitiful rate of innovation and updates...

Intermtb

Jan 5, 2020
USA
Hi. My brother in law has just got his YT back again here in Germany!! Dont ask !!!! They had relaced the motor this time. BUT poor service again they had not even set up the wheel size !! ON A PLUS POINT bought the same soft ware and has sorted it himself plus flagged as a US model and now has 25MPH !!! Just need then to switch it back to EU when it has to go back again !!

I think US version is set at 20mph, not 25 mph.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Classic first world problems! Since 2015, I have extensive experience - 1000s of trail miles each - with Shimano e8000, Bosch Performance Line Gen2 & CX Gen3, Brose T (on a Bulls), and Yamaha PW. IMO, Shimano's software is the best overall.

For one thing, it's the only one that lets me do my own updates. Yamaha and Brose offer no updates whatsoever, and Bosch's have to be done by a certified tech. Secondly, I'm able to adjust the output of each assist level on Shimano, but with the others I'm stuck with factory presets.

Giant/Specialized customize their Yamaha/Brose motors' software, of course, and also offer phone apps for user customization and updates. For my money, however, smaller brands offer better value, and for my riding, the e8000 performs best too.

This thread reminds me a bit of Louis CK's "Everything is amazing and no one is happy" rant a decade ago:

If you need to feel better about contributing to a thread with first world problems then here you go:

Bushfire emergency - WWF-Australia

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Hi. My brother in law has just got his YT back again here in Germany!! Dont ask !!!! They had relaced the motor this time. BUT poor service again they had not even set up the wheel size !! ON A PLUS POINT bought the same soft ware and has sorted it himself plus flagged as a US model and now has 25MPH !!! Just need then to switch it back to EU when it has to go back again !!

FYI, the US Models are not 25 MPH. They're limited to 20 MPH.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles