Shimano Zee derailleur position Mondraker Prime 2020

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
Hi legends,

I have replaced the 12 speed Sram cassette and Derailleur on my 2020 Mondraker Prime with a 10 speed shimano 11-36t deore cassette and an m640 Zee derailleur, lever and Sram 10 speed chain. I chose the Free Ride B-link, 11-36 range, but I get hardly any chain wrap in the 11t cog. The chain also skips occasionally in 13t and 11t when pushing down hard. The FR B-link sits quite a way back and up from the hanger.
20210228_105108.jpg
20210228_105123.jpg

I purchased a Downhill B-link, 11-28t range, and it has made the derailleur hang much better but I am not sure if it is correct. Despite having a 28t top range the Zee still shifts into the 36t easily with plenty of adjustment.
Theze pics are of the DH B-link.
20210306_155012.jpg
20210306_155049.jpg

The Zee shifts nicely with either b-link.
Does it look right? Do I have enough chain wrap on the 11t?
Why does the 28t DH B-link work better than the FR with the 36t cog?
Any ideas why my chain is jumping in 13t 11t?
Can I get a direct mount for this bike? The current hanger is Mondraker hanger M068.
Cheers,

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
@Gary Hi mate, are you able to throw your opinion on my issue? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Hi mate
Without seeing it in the flesh . No, Not really as it could be down to a number of things. I won't be able to look at your pics in detail (on a laptop) until I'm home at the weekend.
I have no idea how experienced you even are with gearing and don't really have time right now to run you through every possible scenario. Sorry.
The DH link places the main pivot closer to the cassette.
The FR link places it further away to accommodate the larger sprocket.
B tension also adjusts top jockey height.
Higher top jockey = greater chain wrap and crisper shifting.
Too high and it'll foul the cassette.
Not all frames mech hangers share exactly the same positioning or geometry so there's a small chance that's part of your issue. It wouldn't be the first time Mondraker's designers have made an arse of designing a frame component.
If you are struggling. Book it into your LBS for a gear service/tune it shouldn't cost a lot.

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
It wouldn't be the first time Mondraker's designers have made an arse of designing a frame component.
Thanks for the quick reply.
This is what it looks like to me, that the hanger sits a long way back.
It at least seems better now, I will have to spend some more time on it this weekend to see if the chain skipping has gone.
Cheers,

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles