Shimano Zee. Question

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Have complained about my very low to the ground derailleur system..:(.recently saw Shimano ZEE which is much more compact and could help my “strikes”:)
Will it work with my 11 speed by just adjusting shifter?

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Ground clearance of mech is usually a feature of mech cage length and wheel size. Cage length is determined by gear ratios, it has to be large enough to store the unused chain when you are on a small cog and release that chain when you are on a large cog.

Therefore if you have a very small size difference between your largest and smallest cogs across the cassette, you only need a small mech (short cage). Typically short cage mechs are used on dh bikes. If you have a large difference in cog sizes you need a medium or long cage mech.

Mechs will specify the range of cassette sizes they support.

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I totally agree with Dax and just to follow up, most 1x drivelines are 11-42 or 11-46 at the rear cassette and that demands a long cage rear Derailleur for sure. From my experience SRAM tends to be a bit shallower compared to Shimano if that is any help.

Karsten

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
ZEEcomes in two configurations DH and FR. DH will only work with up to 28t cassettes, the other version will work with up to 36. This has little to do w the cage length. (it's exactly the same on both) it's the pivot that changes.

If you're going to continue using wide range cassettes you're just going to have to start paying attention to where you're going paying particular attention to whether there's room for the derailleur in your line choice.

Last edited:

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I used the large range Zee (FR from memory) with a Sunrace 11-40 cassette with no issues on my hardtail, but chain length is critical. As above the Zee is 10 speed only.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles