Shimano steps left switch gets wet

wolteris

Jun 7, 2021
Lithuania
Hi there! I've been looking for information about my problem but I couldn't find anything helpful.

My problem is that sometimes left switch of Shimano steps doesn't work. Problem appears when you turn power off after a ride in the rain. And when you turn it on again, left switch is dead. Sometimes it starts to work and works very well till you turn off power again.

I've checked cables, cleaned connections with isopropyl alcohol and still doesn't work. But interesting thing worked once - when power was on I disconnected display cable and quickly connected it again. Just after that I restarted my ebike and problem was solved. Left switch started to work as normal, doesn't matter how many times you restart your bike. Today my bike got wet when I was coming home and the problem arose again. By the way, the switch sometimes gets stuck.

Could it be that left switch gets wet and stops working? Or maybe its the cables fault?
When the bike dries out, everything works fine mostly.

It's a Shimano E8000 engine and STEPS SW-E8000 left switch.

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand
Hi there! I've been looking for information about my problem but I couldn't find anything helpful.

My problem is that sometimes left switch of Shimano steps doesn't work. Problem appears when you turn power off after a ride in the rain. And when you turn it on again, left switch is dead. Sometimes it starts to work and works very well till you turn off power again.

I've checked cables, cleaned connections with isopropyl alcohol and still doesn't work. But interesting thing worked once - when power was on I disconnected display cable and quickly connected it again. Just after that I restarted my ebike and problem was solved. Left switch started to work as normal, doesn't matter how many times you restart your bike. Today my bike got wet when I was coming home and the problem arose again. By the way, the switch sometimes gets stuck.

Could it be that left switch gets wet and stops working? Or maybe its the cables fault?
When the bike dries out, everything works fine mostly.

It's a Shimano E8000 engine and STEPS SW-E8000 left switch.
Hi, my wife and I have both had problems with these triggers over the years. They don’t like water too much.
We changed to the SW-E7000 series switches. Easy to use and install. Just plug and play.
Good luck.

wolteris

Jun 7, 2021
Lithuania
Hi, my wife and I have both had problems with these triggers over the years. They don’t like water too much.
We changed to the SW-E7000 series switches. Easy to use and install. Just plug and play.
Good luck.

Thanks buddy!

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
check this thread out for more info

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
You can also update to the SW-EM800-L switch, but you'll need an SD300 cable and an SD50 -> SD300 converter. It's actually a better switch overall than both the E8000 and the E7000, and is designed with a removable/replaceable cable.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles