Shimano launch new 2023 Di2 Wireless Shifting for ebikes + EP6

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
So delete if necessary not allowed and I've no idea if this is true but; After GMBN youtube spoke about wireless on the yeti emtb's I looked around and found this site the live page was taken down but the cache version remains;

cached link

Shimano to Launch New Shifting Modes and Groupsets for E-Bikes

July 7, 2022 | By Andrew McLemore

The revolution of e-bike technology continues with new shifting modes introduced by Shimano for electronic mountain bikes.

The popularity of e-bikes shows no signs of slowing down. While mountain bikers may grumble when their friend gets an e-bike,there’s no doubt that the technology is evolving quickly.

Shimano’s latest announcement adds metaphorical grease to e-bike wheels with all-new electric shifters and innovative modes of changing gears.

On July 11, the company will release two new XT Di2 groupsets for its electronic mountain bikes and new CUES Di2 groupsets for commuter e-bikes. There’s also an upgraded EP6 drive unit and — perhaps the most interesting — two new shifting modes called Free Shift and Auto Shift with Manual Override.

free shift shimano

Free Shift

With Free Shift, Shimano claims that riders can make gear changes without pedaling the bike. It’s the latest extension of the Di2 electronic shifting tech that the company first introduced back in 2008.

The new shifting mode works by combining the company’s electronic shifting tech and the DEORE XT Di2.

auto shift shimano

Auto Shift With Manual Override

If shifting gears without pedaling still sounds like too much work, Shimano has gone one step further. Its Auto Shift mode allows the tech to shift gears for you.

The company said in a press release that this system makes predictive gear changes based on the rider’s speed and cadence. It accomplishes this through Shimano’s LINKGLIDE drivetrain paired once again with the Di2 electric shifter.

Also, the Automatic Shifting supposedly works during both pedaling and coasting.

linkglide drivetrain

DEORE XT Di2 LINKGLIDE

The first of Shimano’s new XT Di2 groupsets, the LINKGLIDE, adds new shifting modes to the company’s electronic shifting for e-MTB. The drivetrain comes with the existing 11-speed drivetrain and a centralized battery power source.

It’s also capable of both new shifting modes, including the Auto Shift. By automating gear shifting, the bikes encourage their riders to “engage with the natural world.” So if gear shifting feels like a distraction, this feature is for you.

Another notable improvement is a 200g reduction in the cassette weight.

hyperglide shimano

DEORE XT Di2 HYPERGLIDE+

The second XT Di2 groupset, the HYPERGLIDE+, embellishes the existing 12-speed system with Di2 electronic shifting. It includes the Free Shift mode but not the Auto Shift.

Apr 25, 2019
Perth Western Australia
EMBN look like they prematurely disclosed a new EP8, EP6 and autoshift Di2 ...they have removed the video now
1657538948583.png

Adam

Nov 20, 2018
Plymouth, UK
To add fuel to the fire, I think a new motor announcement of some sort is imminent from Shimano (probably the EP6), as I just noticed a YouTube notification on my phone that I'd received at 12:01 with a headline saying about an announcement for a new geared Shimano motor. When I clicked the notification though YouTube said the video was private (someone accidently published it early)

Can't be sure if it's a completely new motor or referring to the above info as obviously I didn't get to actually see the video before it was set to private.

Adam

Nov 20, 2018
Plymouth, UK
I should make it clear in case he has an NDA with Shimano and his own video coming out later, it wasn't one of Rob's videos that I had a notification about. it was from a well known different emtb YouTube channel.

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
I wonder when the NDA lifts. Was I alone in hoping for a dropper in there too :D

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Looks like EP6 is a cheaper motor but with same output, but heavier

EP8 revised, and now compatible with new auto shift and free shift tech/drivetrains.

Like the sound of the free shift, one of things that will either be genius in reality or a dogs dinner to use.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
This is where Shimano shows its hand, and how it can take integration of the bikes components and motor to a level that other companies cant, and as a result offer advances like this.

Whilst the Shimano EP8 may not be the best motor in terms of power right now, nothing comes close to Shimano's EMTB component eco-system. The choice of controllers, displays (or not needing a display at all), and the fact they allow third party batteries to be used with their motors means bike brands can get fairly innovative with design and spec.

I wonder if we will see SRAM teaming up with one of the other motor manufacturers, or even entering into the market themselves .

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
To me this feel like an apple move with closing off of its system. Like shimano have gone from PC's to Consoles i.e. no upgrade paths any more. I do wonder if 3rd parties can make their own products to work with it.

A little disappointed personally because I have the 'old' ep8 🤷‍♂️ and shimano just ditched it what was its product life 2years? I'll probably plonk for AXS for that neat cable look.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
It will be interesting to see how it performs - the ability to integrate the full suite of components can lead to great things, but at the same time it can lead to frustrations if it limits choice.

I cant see how the updated motors wouldn't work with other brands components, you just wouldn't get the functionality, and lets not forget that the electronic shifting is likely to be specced only on higher end bikes with the majority I suspect still having traditional gearing.

I just like being this kind of innovation, I have no interest in bigger and brighter screens, and when manufacturers bring out EMTB products that have nothing to do with how you ride a bike, the Greyp approach for example makes me want to throw that bike in a skip, but using the inherent abilities of the motor and software to improve how you can operate the gears (if it works!) is genuine progress.

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
Auto shift and free shift are complete garbage for MTB. Imagine slowing for a turn and the rear wheel pushing you forward to shift. No thanks.

On a cargo or commute bikes it's not a bad idea.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Auto shift and free shift are complete garbage for MTB. Imagine slowing for a turn and the rear wheel pushing you forward to shift. No thanks.

On a cargo or commute bikes it's not a bad idea.

I agree. Whilst I think auto shift and free shift could be game changers I don't see how it could be at all practical for MTB when run through an ancient design like a derailleur which simply cant work without drive being applied to the chain. Now the same electronics on something like a Kindernay would be interesting..

And one day we might get dual clutch gear systems for those 'lightning quick' shift times :)

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
All I wanted with a rear mech/dropper powered by bike battery and maybe some clever interruption shift where it knew to shift at the top or bottom of a crank stroke to save crunching.

I cant see how the updated motors wouldn't work with other brands components, you just wouldn't get the functionality, and lets not forget that the electronic shifting is likely to be specced only on higher end bikes with the majority I suspect still having traditional gearing.
I ment 3rd party versions of shimanos freeshift or will they keep it a closed/forbidden system. I doubt they will given their stance on opening the motors.

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
meh, why dont they just come out with a wireless xt shifter/derailleur to compete with axs?

and what is the deal with "new" ep8 exactly, why dont they talk about that? does it have more power and range/watt hour or what exactly is new about it? does it put the ep8 on par with bosch and brose? that would be the game changer imo. there are so many bikes using ep8 that if the new motor were on par with competition then there would be more bikes to consider.

Another One

Feb 28, 2022
London / Wakefield
I was excited about this but after reading up and only being available for Shimano Motors I dont think this will affect Sram at all. If Sram have any sense reduce the price of AXS all models on Shimano launch, could you imagine GX AXS £250.

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn

closer look at the specs not much talk of how the wireless shifter works or even people talking about the wireless shift

Oh not wireless at all.. it's a wired shifter powered from the bikes battery.

- Power directly supplied from main STEPS battery
- Connect directly to STEPS via E-TUBE cable EW-SD300

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
It's basically an attempt to impose a closed Shimano controlled standard on the eBike world which, once imposed, will be highly profitable for Shimano.

If you wanna Shimano motor you gotta take the entire Shimano proprietory ecosphere with it.

Think Sony or Apple, and you've got it.

Fuck that.

Last edited:

odl

May 9, 2022
EU
Oh not wireless at all.. it's a wired shifter powered from the bikes battery.
I wonder what will happen after bikes battery would be drained out by motor during mountain trip... shifting cut off as well..? ;-)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles