Shimano lack of support

billybodger1

Dec 11, 2022
uk
Every time I look at any emtb sites the thing that always seems to be at the top of the discusion is just how crap Shimano motors are and how wonderful every other motor is . I have a 22 Obea Rise with a EP8 in it and so far after 500miles its been fine but after reading so much bad about them I hope it stays that way !
I think the real problem is that Shimano wont supply any parts to repair them . Its far more enviromentaly friendly to repair that just replace although it would be more costly and troublesome for Shimano no doubt . EU law was changed ages ago to make domestic appliance manufactures have to support any products for 10 years with spares so how come Shimano have escaped this ? Its the same with car and motor bike manufacturers .I know bikes are not a washing machine but the principal is just the same and a washing machine is much cheaper !!! Why buy new if you can repair it????

wenna

Aug 1, 2023
Sweden
And I´m pretty sure it´s also illegal to void the warranty because you opened up the motor and serviced it. They will have to prove the cause of the failure.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@billybodger1 other motors fail too, but other manufacturers appear to have a better customer service policy than Shimano. Like you my Shimano motor is fine. I had an e8000 for 2.5 years and did over 3000 miles and never had a problem. I have had my EP8 for just over two years at over 2500 miles and also without problem. But one person's experience is only anecdotal.

Last edited:

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Every time I look at any emtb sites the thing that always seems to be at the top of the discusion is just how crap Shimano motors are and how wonderful every other motor is . I have a 22 Obea Rise with a EP8 in it and so far after 500miles its been fine

So you're worried because of what you read in some forum, despite it being opposite of your own experience. I try not to get upset when people paint a negative picture in an attempt to get me upset.

I think the real problem is that Shimano wont supply any parts to repair them .

Is that your own experience, or what you've read on some forum?

On the EP8 equipped bike I'm riding now, twice I've needed warranty repairs, and the parts were shipped to the shop in a couple days. Once I asked to buy parts from Shimano directly, and they just sent out what I needed for free. I had it in one or two days. Another friend had a complete EP8 failure, and they hooked him up.

No one that I've ever spoken to has experienced what you describe. But I'm just a guy on the internet, so you probably shouldn't listen to what I have to say, either.

billybodger1

Dec 11, 2022
uk
Im not to worried about what I read . It think its the way your treat these bikes has a lot to do with how long they last . Most pepole take to the net to moan about whats gone wrong not just how good a thing is. Im sure that other motors have there problems as well but it seems that here in the UK their experience in dealing with the local importer is better than Shimano in the UK and you seem to be missing the point of my post. Its the fact that if you buy a electrical product and it goes wrong the manufacturer has to supply me by law with the parts to fix it up to 10 years after it was made. Something which the manufactures fought against ( Apple still have a big problem with the EU about that )Here in the UK Shimano do not appear to supply any parts to service there motors its just buy a new one . ( Unless someone knows different ) So why do they seem to be able to get away with it when other electrical manufacturers cant ? In the US you already have these laws to force the manufacturers to supply the parts so I bet thats why you could get them so easily . There needs to be a change over here to get that same service but I feel the only way this will happen is when companys like Shimano are forced to .

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
you seem to be missing the point of my post
the only way this will happen is when companys like Shimano are forced to .

Yes, clearly I'm confused by my inability to see the point of your original post.
What parts or service do you want to force Shimano to provide?
Are you able to ride your bike while Shimano is not giving you what you want?
What laws should parliament enact that would make you happy?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Im not to worried about what I read . It think its the way your treat these bikes has a lot to do with how long they last . Most pepole take to the net to moan about whats gone wrong not just how good a thing is. Im sure that other motors have there problems as well but it seems that here in the UK their experience in dealing with the local importer is better than Shimano in the UK and you seem to be missing the point of my post. Its the fact that if you buy a electrical product and it goes wrong the manufacturer has to supply me by law with the parts to fix it up to 10 years after it was made. Something which the manufactures fought against ( Apple still have a big problem with the EU about that )Here in the UK Shimano do not appear to supply any parts to service there motors its just buy a new one . ( Unless someone knows different ) So why do they seem to be able to get away with it when other electrical manufacturers cant ? In the US you already have these laws to force the manufacturers to supply the parts so I bet thats why you could get them so easily . There needs to be a change over here to get that same service but I feel the only way this will happen is when companys like Shimano are forced to .
The right to repair that you are referring to does not apply to everything, it only applies to certain classifications of product such as domestic appliances. ebike motors are not subject to the right to repair laws.

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I wonder how much a ten years old ebike will worth ? probaly less than the labor hours needed to service its motor...

billybodger1

Dec 11, 2022
uk
My point is that if my Shimano motor is out of warranty and it goes kaput then in the UK it would appere that I have only one choice and that is to buy a new motor at roughly £1000 which would really piss me off if its just a £20 sensor which is at fault . Having had a look online and talking to my LBS Shimano will not supply any parts to repair any of thier motors. The right to repair legislation covers many consumer electrical items . Does anyone not think that Shimano should be forced to supply these parts as that would seem the only way they will or do we feel its right that they just follow the most expensive path and make there profit margins bigger ?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
My point is that if my Shimano motor is out of warranty and it goes kaput then in the UK it would appere that I have only one choice and that is to buy a new motor at roughly £1000 which would really piss me off if its just a £20 sensor which is at fault . Having had a look online and talking to my LBS Shimano will not supply any parts to repair any of thier motors. The right to repair legislation covers many consumer electrical items . Does anyone not think that Shimano should be forced to supply these parts as that would seem the only way they will or do we feel its right that they just follow the most expensive path and make there profit margins bigger ?

New motors are £599, it's still not a 20 quid sensor ,but not too bad in the grand scheme of things. And I suspect they'll get cheaper still as time goes on.

It would be nice if they could be cheaply repaired though , I agree.

Rikshaw

Jul 5, 2023
Sussex
So you're worried because of what you read in some forum, despite it being opposite of your own experience. I try not to get upset when people paint a negative picture in an attempt to get me upset.

Is that your own experience, or what you've read on some forum?

On the EP8 equipped bike I'm riding now, twice I've needed warranty repairs, and the parts were shipped to the shop in a couple days. Once I asked to buy parts from Shimano directly, and they just sent out what I needed for free. I had it in one or two days. Another friend had a complete EP8 failure, and they hooked him up.

No one that I've ever spoken to has experienced what you describe. But I'm just a guy on the internet, so you probably shouldn't listen to what I have to say, either.
Need name of your contact. 🤣

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
My actual ep8 failure experience.

The ep8 on my bullit went out at 1800ish km after being flawless. The story I got (roughly a month and a half ago, in Ontario Canada) was that shimano had no units available and it wouldn't be replaced till december which was a huge bummer.

Luckily, when the local shimano rep stopped by the shop he had a spare in his van and I was only down a total of a week and a half thank God. I doubt I would have been very happy had I had to wait and abort the rest of the season..

D

SebasBici

Nov 3, 2022
Riva del Garda
I bought my first E-MTB used. It's a GRAND CANYON ON 7 2021 shimano ep8 motor. I really love this bike.
I added a dropper post to it about 7 months ago, not with canyon because they told me it was compatible but I should add it on my own. (Although they sell the new model already with a dropper post).
Until then everything is fine, I went to a bike store to install the dropper post...
One and a half month ago the left pedal lever slowly began to make a noise... as the days went by the noise began to get louder, so I took it to the bike to the store where I bought it used, the tell me that the bike still had 2 months left on the warranty. (NICE!!)
The bike people contacted CANYON to send it for review (so CANYON take the bike from Riva del Garda to Verona center)
They simply said that since it had been opened to install the droper post it did not cover the warranty.
Ok I said.. (so as not to start a fight) and asked them to repair or adjust it. They responded that they couldn't do anything except change the engine for a new one. 900 euros..
It's crazy. Now I'm waiting for the bike to come back from Verona so I can inspect it or send it to another bike shop.
In this case I don't know if the laziness or ineffectiveness is from CANYON or SHIMANO.

wenna

Aug 1, 2023
Sweden
I bought my first E-MTB used. It's a GRAND CANYON ON 7 2021 shimano ep8 motor. I really love this bike.
I added a dropper post to it about 7 months ago, not with canyon because they told me it was compatible but I should add it on my own. (Although they sell the new model already with a dropper post).
Until then everything is fine, I went to a bike store to install the dropper post...
One and a half month ago the left pedal lever slowly began to make a noise... as the days went by the noise began to get louder, so I took it to the bike to the store where I bought it used, the tell me that the bike still had 2 months left on the warranty. (NICE!!)
The bike people contacted CANYON to send it for review (so CANYON take the bike from Riva del Garda to Verona center)
They simply said that since it had been opened to install the droper post it did not cover the warranty.
Ok I said.. (so as not to start a fight) and asked them to repair or adjust it. They responded that they couldn't do anything except change the engine for a new one. 900 euros..
It's crazy. Now I'm waiting for the bike to come back from Verona so I can inspect it or send it to another bike shop.
In this case I don't know if the laziness or ineffectiveness is from CANYON or SHIMANO.
I would fight it. There is no way they can claim the motor failure was caused by the change of seatpost. That is just ridiculous.

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
You can go to any shimano agent and they will process warranty claim for you on the motor. They usually charge for the labor as you did not get the bike from them. I have done this 3 times , 1 x Canyon , 1x YT and once on a separate motor.

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
The left pedal made noise after you put on a dropper? Interesting...

D

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles