Front end grip (or lack off)

Thunderer

Nov 19, 2018
Y Felinheli
I have a Trek FS9 with 27.5 x 2.8 Schwalbe Nobby Nic's on the front and back. I am having problems in this muddy weather getting the front end to grip:

1. Will a different tyre help ?
2. Should I reduce tyre pressure on about 18psi ?
3. Or would a 2.6 give better grip ?

Looking forward to help and advise !!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
1 Yes. Definitely
2 Possibly. you haven't given enough other detail though. rider weight, terrain and riding style matter a lot with regards to which pressures are optimum..
3 Probably (But go back to point #1. NN isn't a mud tyre)

What sort of mud and in what exact situations are you losing grip?

Thunderer

Nov 19, 2018
Y Felinheli
1 Yes. Definitely
2 Possibly. you haven't given enough other detail though. rider weight, terrain and riding style matter a lot with regards to which pressures are optimum..
3 Probably (But go back to point #1. NN isn't a mud tyre)

What sort of mud and in what exact situations are you losing grip?
Loosing grip downhill, 20mph ish, standing up, mud probably 25mm deep, not hard cornering at time, both times resulting in front end sliding away and pitching me off (ouch !!.) weight 95kg. Tyre pressure 18psi

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I had 2.8 Nobby Nics front and rear. It wasn't too bad on the back but was a terrible front tyre.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Loosing grip downhill, 20mph ish, standing up, mud probably 25mm deep, not hard cornering at time, both times resulting in front end sliding away and pitching me off (ouch !!.) weight 95kg. Tyre pressure 18psi

Ok. that's down to two things.
firstly the nobby nick isn't a great tyre. Ballooning them up to 2.8 in size and running them at low pressures might give a beginner some more confidence in them on rough/hardpack surfces but ultimately they've simply polished a turd. A 2.8 at low pressure without aggressive knobs to "dig" in can float over mud. particularly inch (25.4mm) deep mus over firmer gound. The industry even tries to market this unrequired plus tyre trait as "float". a plus point if you're riding dull sandyterrain or heather covered bogs but for me that's more "rambling" on a bike than what mountainbiking is.
The second is inexperience. A very experienced rider can make a terrible tyre on a far from ideal set-up work in conditions it's clearly not optimum for by having almost a sixth sense for weighting the bike and it's tyres along with vast experience inchoosing good lines and generally just being awesome at staying loose but upright where a beginner would be on his arse.

Look for recommendations on 2.5"ish mud/intermediate tyres. There are loads, Magic Marys, Shortys. Hillbilys etc. All have subtle differences but all will be infinitely better than a 2.8 NN in the conditions/situations you're finding challenging.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Are you weighting the wheels correctly? People compensate for a lazy or incorrect riding style by either blaming or adding girth to tyres.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
1) Make sure your bike fit is correct. You could be positioned too far back on the bike if it's too big for you
2) Did you add a taller fork?
3) Brake with the front brake *before* your turn to shift weight forward and set the suspension, then release and make the turn (you can drag the rear brake for speed control)
4) Try a Maxxis Forecaster

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Is it just me or are other people noticing a lot of threads recently being dredged back up that were asked & answered years ago? We must be getting near saturation point with EMTB issues that we have to revisit them again :geek:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles