Shimano EP801 code E914

Timelesswhite

Nov 8, 2019
San Diego
On 04/10/2023 I purchased the New Heckler 29 RSV XO with the new Shimano EP801 (latest edition)
Yesterday, approximately 10 miles into its first ride, the bike displayed the following code: E914

My initial research leads to cause of failure being an abnormal condition has been detected between the drive unit and the battery. Displayed operating restrictions, support will not be provided while driving.
Remedy - Clean the connector of the battery holder and reconnect the battery. If situation does not improve after step 1, stop use and contact the place of purchase.

I'm very annoyed having to post this. I'm hoping someone has feedback that has maybe already experienced this and has found the remedy.

2024heckerRSV.jpg

Jorgeferrari

May 9, 2023
Miami
Hi, I just bought a Heckler like yours and after 20 minutes of use, the same error appeared! Did you find out how to fix it?

IMG_3764.jpeg

bikerider

May 11, 2023
REDDING
I have also had this problem on my brand new Heckler E-bike. My understanding is that SC has received other reports of this happening. My bike shop filed and warranty claim and SC is actively working on the problem with Shimano. I suggest you put in a warranty claim also if you haven't already. This problem needs to be captured and sent up the chain the sooner the better.

Jorgeferrari

May 9, 2023
Miami
I have also had this problem on my brand new Heckler E-bike. My understanding is that SC has received other reports of this happening. My bike shop filed and warranty claim and SC is actively working on the problem with Shimano. I suggest you put in a warranty claim also if you haven't already. This problem needs to be captured and sent up the chain the sooner the better.
Yes, I already made the warranty claim at the store and we are waiting for SC to give us a response. I had the opportunity to try the bike (in trail mode it works well) and it's really amazing. I hope this has a simple solution!

bikerider

May 11, 2023
REDDING
Yes, I already made the warranty claim at the store and we are waiting for SC to give us a response. I had the opportunity to try the bike (in trail mode it works well) and it's really amazing. I hope this has a simple solution!
That's great. SC can be slow to respond. I got on their website support chatline and lit a fire so to speak. That got there attention. Yes...I've ridden the bike a few times now and love it. The new EP801 motor is so smooth and quiet. My understanding is that the previous motor was noisy and clanky. The bike handles great too. The forks are amazing.

Jorgeferrari

May 9, 2023
Miami
That's great. SC can be slow to respond. I got on their website support chatline and lit a fire so to speak. That got there attention. Yes...I've ridden the bike a few times now and love it. The new EP801 motor is so smooth and quiet. My understanding is that the previous motor was noisy and clanky. The bike handles great too. The forks are amazing.
Well done! Let's wait a bit to see if we have any good news.

What I liked the most about the EP801 was the power and it feels more natural than the EP8.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I literally posted a New Thread on Santa Cruz's forum page; moments later it's gone. I can't share my story; sad!

Four days have passed. What IS the story?
What does the bike store say when you talked with them?
What did Santa Cruz say when you talked with them?

It's been my experience that Santa Cruz ships stuff out on the same day, and I get it the next. Same with Shimano, they're even closer to both of us than Santa Cruz.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
.......................The new EP801 motor is so smooth and quiet. My understanding is that the previous motor was noisy and clanky. ...........
I have the previous motor (EP8) and it has been quiet and smooth over the last 2200 miles. It is not silent, but there is no way it could be described as "noisy and clanky", except I suppose if it was someone's' first ebike. :)

Jorgeferrari

May 9, 2023
Miami
Hi, I received this today from Santa Cruz, I did it and just went for a ride and it didn't throw any errors.

Shimano EP801 E914

“Turn off the system, remove the battery and wait 5 minutes. The battery removal uses a hex key and can be done trailside. Typically, if one waits a few minutes and reinstalls the battery the code goes away and one can keep riding. Sometimes it will throw a code again and sometimes not. We don’t know the exact time for the battery to “go to sleep” after removal from the frame, 5 minutes just seemed to do the trick.

As for doing this process three times; that’s not necessarily helping to alleviate the problem but if it doesn’t throw the code again you’re probably OK to ride again.

Since we don’t conclusively know the root cause all of the suggestions are theoretical but we have seen improvements in systems that have previously had errors after troubleshooting that involved multiple battery removals but any correlation between this action and the system working properly is purely speculative”.

Try it out and see if it works for you.🫣

bikerider

May 11, 2023
REDDING
Hi, I received this today from Santa Cruz, I did it and just went for a ride and it didn't throw any errors.

Shimano EP801 E914

“Turn off the system, remove the battery and wait 5 minutes. The battery removal uses a hex key and can be done trailside. Typically, if one waits a few minutes and reinstalls the battery the code goes away and one can keep riding. Sometimes it will throw a code again and sometimes not. We don’t know the exact time for the battery to “go to sleep” after removal from the frame, 5 minutes just seemed to do the trick.

As for doing this process three times; that’s not necessarily helping to alleviate the problem but if it doesn’t throw the code again you’re probably OK to ride again.

Since we don’t conclusively know the root cause all of the suggestions are theoretical but we have seen improvements in systems that have previously had errors after troubleshooting that involved multiple battery removals but any correlation between this action and the system working properly is purely speculative”.

Try it out and see if it works for you.🫣
Thanks. Yeah...they also had me do this, but they told me to remove the battery three times. It didn't work. I rode a lot longer though before it acted up - almost 10 miles. I tried it again today. No luck. My experience is most of the time I can get to 4 or 5 miles without it acting up. And it always seems to act up when I have 3 out of the 5 bars left. It's never happened to me at 4 or 5 bars. That's awesome that it worked for you.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
All of this on a brand new $12,000+ USD bike is just laugahble honestly. SC is taking the piss, did anyone at Santa Cruz bother to test this bike?

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
All of this on a brand new $12,000+ USD bike is just laugahble honestly. SC is taking the piss, did anyone at Santa Cruz bother to test this bike?
It is not SC to blame, but Shimano. SC just integrated a Shimano Steps System that is supposed to work.

SC does not test drive every bike, they just trust the components from Shimano and other suppliers.

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
It is not SC to blame, but Shimano. SC just integrated a Shimano Steps System that is supposed to work.

SC does not test drive every bike, they just trust the components from Shimano and other supplie
Ok, then it is not Shimano fault. As the EP801 battery interface is new, it might be that that the non Shimano battery has compatibilty issues.
This bike is speced with Darfon battery/holder?

I guess this is the issue and not the drive unit 👍

Another One

Feb 28, 2022
London / Wakefield
I agree, but they should still take responsibility and fix it. In fact, no "should" about it, they "must" fix it. It's the law!
The thing is Steve all posters say its being looked into not sure what more can be done, I have got no skin in this game and have kept away from Shimano but I think we need to be fair.

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
I read somewhere on this forum that Bosch are having issues with their latest smart system too. Might be safer to buy last years models at a discount until they sort out the bugs.

Jun 23, 2022
USA
On 04/10/2023 I purchased the New Heckler 29 RSV XO with the new Shimano EP801 (latest edition)
Yesterday, approximately 10 miles into its first ride, the bike displayed the following code: E914

My initial research leads to cause of failure being an abnormal condition has been detected between the drive unit and the battery. Displayed operating restrictions, support will not be provided while driving.
Remedy - Clean the connector of the battery holder and reconnect the battery. If situation does not improve after step 1, stop use and contact the place of purchase.

I'm very annoyed having to post this. I'm hoping someone has feedback that has maybe already experienced this and has found the remedy.

View attachment 113860
Whoa! I like the sideyard, bae.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Sometimes purchases of any kind can have issues, I don't think the manufacturer are taking the piss it's just one of those things.
Too often bike brands are making the customer suffer blaming OE components, the contract is with the shop you purchased it from, you need to light a fire under the retailer, if not purchased direct from SC, as its their responsibility, if nothing works then you need to issue a section 75 with your credit card company,two things will happen, a full refund will be issued or you will get a new bike.

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a new eMTB with the EP801 motor and Shimano 630Wh battery, I guess I will wait to see how Shimano handles their new issue. I do have a Husky MC-5 right now and had battery connection issues when I frist got the MC-5, turn out to be the battery mounts were loose, had to use some loctie and re-torque the bolts. The new shimano code that has me concered is the E299 (Safe Mode):/

bikerider

May 11, 2023
REDDING
I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a new eMTB with the EP801 motor and Shimano 630Wh battery, I guess I will wait to see how Shimano handles their new issue. I do have a Husky MC-5 right now and had battery connection issues when I frist got the MC-5, turn out to be the battery mounts were loose, had to use some loctie and re-torque the bolts. The new shimano code that has me concered is the E299 (Safe Mode):/
My understanding is SC has not received any reports of the new Bullit having this problem with the EP801 motor coupled with the Shimano 630Wh battery. I wonder how many of the new Bullits have been sold though. The new Heckler is equipped with the EP801 motor with the Darfon 720Wh Battery. My opinion is that the EP801 motor doesn't like the Darfon battery or vice-versa.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Why is it just a Shimano issue, Santa Cruz designed, along with Shimano, a specific tune for the motor, they could have bought the stock tune which everyone else is happy with, I bought the Yeti 160e, 1500 miles and not one issue, seems to.me that SC/ Pon Industries, should stick to making bikes and leave electronics to those that know.

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
Why is it just a Shimano issue, Santa Cruz designed, along with Shimano, a specific tune for the motor, they could have bought the stock tune which everyone else is happy with, I bought the Yeti 160e, 1500 miles and not one issue, seems to.me that SC/ Pon Industries, should stick to making bikes and leave electronics to those that know.
Well true its not just Shimano issue, more a QA issue with the manufacture you got your eMTB from.
Santa Cruz, Yeti or Husky, if they are building a eMTB and don't do proper QA on the eMTB build, there will be issues.
Also in the world of tech, wherever you have a new system or firmware, there are going to be some issues with it.
I think BikeRider is spot on with it sound like an issue with the Shimano motor and the Darfon battery.

Jorgeferrari

May 9, 2023
Miami
In theory the EP801 will only work with "gen2" battery system batteries (with some exceptions - the Orbea Rise's seem to be working for example with third party batteries).

I think the original Darfon 726wh battery was the E4C0G (3.8kg/397.6mm). The newer one is the E4C0M (4.1kg 410mm).

No idea which one they're using in this bike. Could be the older one on some and newer on others ?

Presumably as this isn't happening to everyone, maybe it was working and there was an EP801 firmware update which now means it's not working ? ... or well, a million other things !

Jorgeferrari

May 9, 2023
Miami
Hello, yes, that's correct. The previous model's Darfon battery fits perfectly in my SC, but it doesn't power it on because they have different firmware. In the picture, you can see that the battery on the left is for the EP8 motor and the right is for the EP801.

By the way, I encountered the E914 error again. I removed the battery, waited for 3 minutes, and then reinstalled it, and it worked without any issues. However, I'm not sure how long it will last.

IMG_3785.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles