EP801 E203 code

Desmopilot

Feb 25, 2024
USA
Hey everyone,

Been riding my Bullit for a couple months now and absolutely love it. My only issue has been an error code that popped up each of the 2 times I used the E-Tube app to install a motor update. The error code reads E203 and says the motor isn't going to function, but the bike continues to work perfectly. I've made sure to have the phone (Samsung Galaxy S23)close to the motor when installing the update and to not have other electronic devices nearby operating at the frequency that the app uses. Both times the update has shown to be installed correctly and the motor updated to the newest version. When I check the maintenance section in the app, however, the error code appears. The shop reinstalled all the updates for me each time and told me to just bring it in next time an update shows up. The other components on the bike update just fine using the app. Ironically, this most recent motor update was to eliminate false error codes, I believe.

Anyone have a similar experience to this or have tips for how I should be adjusting my updating methods? I figured I'd try it this second time if I was going to have to make a trip to the shop anyway. I appreciate any input.

Regards,

Jeff

Desmopilot

Feb 25, 2024
USA
Had an interesting visit with my LBS today. I had that E203 error code after updating the motor via the E Tube app, but the bike was running perfectly. My mechanic plugged the bike in and found that an error code had been logged in the system at the exact time I downloaded/installed the update, but the motor was showing to have successfully updated to the current version and did not itself show any error codes. He did a fresh install of all the versions anyway and suggested maybe to delete the E Tube app and reinstall it. When I got home I deleted the app, but when I went to the Shimano web site there was a message that the app for android has been removed from the Google play store until March 5th due to issues with the app. The Apple version was still available.

Anyway, I will look for the app after March 5th and see how it's working. Hopefully I don't need any updates for a while regardless. Just thought I'd post an update in case anyone was interested or had run into a similar situation trying to install updates via E Tube.

Regards,

Jeff

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
................ Hopefully I don't need any updates for a while regardless. ..........................
I bought my bike with its EP8 motor on 22/07/21 and updated it then with the E-Tube app. I have not updated it since. It works very well. It has been through three winters and it is still working perfectly. I keep reading reports of owners having problems after an update. Don't fix what isn't broken.

JkdJEdi

Subscriber
Feb 18, 2024
Palm Desert, California
I bought my bike with its EP8 motor on 22/07/21 and updated it then with the E-Tube app. I have not updated it since. It works very well. It has been through three winters and it is still working perfectly. I keep reading reports of owners having problems after an update. Don't fix what isn't broken.
But updates are there to fix what is broken, so you do want to keep everything updated to the latest firmware. Having said that, miles after the firmware update (on initial purchase) maybe on my 6th or 10 th ride, this error code came up for me too. I'm in contact with YT at the moment waiting to hear what advice they can give. On a quick Google it's reading to clean your torque sensors, wherever that is.

JkdJEdi

Subscriber
Feb 18, 2024
Palm Desert, California
Hey everyone,

Been riding my Bullit for a couple months now and absolutely love it. My only issue has been an error code that popped up each of the 2 times I used the E-Tube app to install a motor update. The error code reads E203 and says the motor isn't going to function, but the bike continues to work perfectly. I've made sure to have the phone (Samsung Galaxy S23)close to the motor when installing the update and to not have other electronic devices nearby operating at the frequency that the app uses. Both times the update has shown to be installed correctly and the motor updated to the newest version. When I check the maintenance section in the app, however, the error code appears. The shop reinstalled all the updates for me each time and told me to just bring it in next time an update shows up. The other components on the bike update just fine using the app. Ironically, this most recent motor update was to eliminate false error codes, I believe.

Anyone have a similar experience to this or have tips for how I should be adjusting my updating methods? I figured I'd try it this second time if I was going to have to make a trip to the shop anyway. I appreciate any input.

Regards,

Jeff
Quick Google shows it could just be a controller contact issue, wire or something. I'm charging my battery at the moment and will double check all connections when she's charged up. Best case scenario the wire to the controller came loose, worse case scenario, sensors in the engine need cleaning which means a trip to the LBS.

Aurel

Apr 27, 2024
France
Hi !

I have the same issue since 4.2.2 update of Shimano EP801 motor.
Shimano error code details said to make an update, but there is no update available indeed 4.2.2 version is the last one.

Do you find a solution about this problem ?

Thanks a lot

JkdJEdi

Subscriber
Feb 18, 2024
Palm Desert, California
Hi !

I have the same issue since 4.2.2 update of Shimano EP801 motor.
Shimano error code details said to make an update, but there is no update available indeed 4.2.2 version is the last one.

Do you find a solution about this problem ?

Thanks a lot
Yes I did.. after some research I found that the code was dated the very same day the bike delivered. I had done the firmware update when it delivered and found out much later that the code that's there is just a history. I was all worried for nothing. No problems and going strong. 💪

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles