Shimano E8000 Steps charging problem

GZA

May 21, 2019
Herts
Hi there peeps

Can anyone help, I’m having trouble charging my battery. I plug in the charger and connect to the battery, the led on the charger comes on amber and the battery leds illuminate to their current level of charge, but then very quickly they all go out and nothing happens.

Any ideas?
Cheers

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
What bike is it on?
There have been numerous reports of charging problems on here, but a bit more info may motivate people to reply.
You are registered as in Herts UK; are you there right now, or in a cold country? (Seemingly odd question, but it is relevant).

GZA

May 21, 2019
Herts
Hi thanks for your reply

It’s on a BMC Alpenchallenge. I’ve used the bike a couple of times and the charger performed correctly during the first few charges.

I am in the UK and it is presently hot for us, 30deg C.

On my last ride I was on ~80 % charge remaining.

I’ve tried a couple of different wall plug to figure eight charger leads to discount the fuse in the plug.

I popped it back on the bike started it up, turned it off again and then removed the battery from the bike to charge and the led on the charger and battery briefly lit up before going out again. Previously those leds were illuminated while it charged.

It seems to me some possibly software safety feature related is saying no don’t charge me.

Thanks for any thoughts

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I asked about the weather because some chargers supplied with Shimano motor/battery combos (specifically on the Focus Jam2 and Sam2 bikes) had a fault on a batch of 4.5Amp chargers. They would not charge when the battery and charger were below 11degC and the battery was close to empty. Bring charger and battery indoors for a few hours and the problem went away. This is not something that Focus have accepted as it seems that they would rather change the £600 battery than a £60 charger. We have to wait for another winter before we can be sure. This is an issue that occurred in several countries. Changing to a 4Amp charger fixed the problem for me. Can you relate to this?
Maybe you have the opposite problem, ie when it's too warm. There is bound to be a temperature sensor inside the charger or the battery that is used to make decisions about whether to continue charging or not. Maybe it's screwed up! Not the correct technical term, but you'll get my drift.

The Steak

Jan 16, 2020
Oslo, Norway
Searched for similar problems, and came across this thread. I have returned no less than 4(!) chargers through my dealer, and now also 2 batteries, due to the issues with charging and failure codes. The parts are currently at Shimano for yet another replacement. Sits on a 2018 Scott e-genius Tuned, and I have had nothing but trouble with charging the e8000 Steps. I live in Norway, where temps are on the colder side, but I store (and attempt to charge) the bike in dry room holding minimum +12C. Which should not be too cold, according to the manual.

JackieA

Aug 10, 2020
Lancashire
Have had a similar problem once. I live in a fairly wet and muddy area and managed to get some fine particles into the battery charging area. Both I and my dealer (Cooksons in Whitfield) couldn’t clean it. Was sent to Madison and returned within days at no charge to me. Somehow they managed to remove enough to allow contact. Have since fitted a Mudhugger front mudguard to limit the issue and am careful to make sure the rubber cover is fully installed.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles