Shimano DU-E9000 Rumour

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Tenuous at best... :unsure:

I don't think there's too much wrong with my (I might have my fingers crossed writing this) E8000 really, the improvements I'd like are a bit more power (especially at higher cadences) and less noise.

Last edited:

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
I love my E8000. The longevity worries me so it might be nice for them to make the 9000 higher quality and a touch less weight by using magnesium, composites etc

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
To be fair - I have heard a rumor about a new Shimano motor but that could be for a road bike or even for some sort of disability trike I have heard mentioned.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Smaller? more compact? Lighter?
with MOAR torque?

er... No Shimano... durability is what needs to be addressed first.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No reason it can’t be both.
Yeah.. but if it was you'd think it'd be worth mentioning. And seeing as their LAST motor (E7000) is way LESS durable I don't share your optimism.

SHIMANO EP8 MOTOR FEATURES
  • Smaller and more compact.
  • Lightweight.
  • More torque.
  • Natural power band.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Well, we’ll find out. They better had address it though because a good few people will start to avoid Shimano if not. Myself included.

I wonder if RS/SRAM will get into all this?

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
then they need to get straight on to working on the range issue.
What range issue?

Have a Scott with the Shimano e8000 and get approx 40km on my big loop. I get almost exactly the same with my Levo & the Brose motor. Swapped bikes with a buddy this past weekend and rode his Scott Strike with the older Bosch CX motor and pretty much achieved the same range. Before I purchased the Levo I also tried a Giant with the Yamaha motor and once again was similar in range.

For the most part, range is a balance of rider weight, the types of trails used and what settings/how much effort the rider puts in. I think most of the motors are all in the same ball-park taking into acount the bike style/weight.
Yes there are ways to play with range such as tire patterns/composition and pressures but the reality is they have minimal effect.

Nifty 56

Dec 13, 2018
Lytham St.Annes
My E8000 motor has worked fine and I went for the Shimano because I knew it would last (so far) being Japanese.

I was tempted to get a 2019/2020 Levo but the Brose motor still seems to having problems. I could be lucky and get a good Levo but happy with my E-Sommet (even though it is for sale).

I have no problems with battery range and just make sure I know what distance/terrain/altitude I'm going to ride and adjust my settings/riding to suit.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
The E9000 will be louder to give the impression of more power and torque. It will be lighter as they drill holes in the motor housing to let out more noise. And it will be more durable as any water that gets in will drain immediately from the holes in the housing. A new display will have 10 bars of battery power giving the impression of more range.

It’s all speculation at this point, but we’ll find out soon enough.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Do you think it'll also come with audible bearings and main axle bearing play as a "feature" from new?
I hate having to wait a whole 3 months for this feature to kick in with each new E8000

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Do you think it'll also come with audible bearings and main axle bearing play as a "feature" from new?
I hate having to wait a whole 3 months for this feature to kick in with each new E8000

They might do a special edition version with apple wood bearings, then you can just whittle yourself a new set out on the trail.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Nothing, its just we didnt know what the new motor would be called when this thread was started, so presumed it would be e9000

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles