Passport du Soleil 2020

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
Did the 2019 60km e-passport du Soleil and have to say it was the best day out I've ever had on a bike, 44 miles, 5 hours, 13,000ft of descending, max speed 44mph!! Entries open again next week for the 2020 event and I'm definitely going.
Question. Has anyone done the 80km standard route on an ebike and is it doable on a single charge.
The reason I'm asking is that the 80km standard route has the same amount of climbing (1000m) as the ebike route but twice the downhill distance, and I'm considering entering this instead of the epds route. I did the 60km epds route on 9 bars out of 10 on my Levo, but most of that was used in the last 10 miles as the epds route went thru a dedicated valley with no chairlift and 800m of climbing. So I reckon the extra 20km on the standard should be no problem if the extra distance is mostly made up of downhill and chairlifts, and well worth if for double the total downhills.
Thoughts?

Beatn1K

Jan 25, 2020
UK
Why would they make the epd route shorter if it isnt designed to cater for battery range..? I think it implies they think the 80kms is beyond the range possible on an eBike....
A second battery would be the answer for certain, without asking the organisers..
Looks like epic riding...!

Santa

Oct 4, 2019
Montreal, Canada
I think I read somewhere that there are restaurants along the way that provide charging stations. This is Europe, you know. People actually take time to eat...

Beatn1K

Jan 25, 2020
UK
At least three organised stops scheduled from what I read. See here. Look more like cafes than a dedicated charging station although I know they exist in this part of the alps ( installed by Bosch et al)
I think if it were subscribed by a good few eBikes, there might be access/availability issues in the more remote stops....
Personally, I think the range of my Merida is poor so will be buying another battery as soon I start using it for longer days out, & further afield....

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
FAQs state it's possible to do the main trek on an ebike but was hoping someone with personal experience would have some practical advice.
Given that it's the same amount of climbing and only the length of the downhills double, I can't see how it's not achievable as all the extra distance should be with no support from the motor.

Beatn1K

Jan 25, 2020
UK
Sounds as if you have your answer....!
I'll be Europe earlier in the month. Cant stretch my time in Europe to the end of June for the official event but it looks worth checking out for some riding regardless....

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
Yeah - made a decision: gonna do the main route rather than the epds as the extra 3000m of descending is the clincher.

Beatn1K

Jan 25, 2020
UK
What are you riding..?
My Merida wont stretch much past 25 miles on a single battery.Id need to test that theory more robustly to be fair.....It jumps from 2 bars to a single red bar without warning...
Ive read that the Shimano system is a bit juice hungry compared to other brands perhaps...? 8 stops en route.You'll be fine !!

Its basically based around Chatel, right..?

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
What are you riding..?
My Merida wont stretch much past 25 miles on a single battery.Id need to test that theory more robustly to be fair.....It jumps from 2 bars to a single red bar without warning...
Ive read that the Shimano system is a bit juice hungry compared to other brands perhaps...? 8 stops en route.You'll be fine !!

Its basically based around Chatel, right..?
Did the 44 mile route on my 2018 Levo which generally gets 25 miles, but managed the first 35 miles on only 2 bars as it's nearly all lifts and downhill. Used 7 bars on the last 10 miles which had 800m of climbs. This year I'll be on my Decoy which has a slightly bigger battery and generally better range than my Levo. Will be close on a single charge but doable I think.
Route takes in all the PDS villages, so Les Gets, Morzine, Avoriaz, Chatel and about 4 smaller Swiss resorts.

Beatn1K

Jan 25, 2020
UK
Astonished to get 15+ miles done today..and only one bar used...!!
Im going to have to test this theory....(y)

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
It's all about the modes used, altitude gain and rider weight. To do the 50 miles and 1000m climb I expect I'll have to be in eco mode for all but the steepest climbs.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Should be easily doable, depending on rider weight and how much assist you use. Go do a few rides in the UK and see if you can manage the total climb you would be doing on the battery

Beatn1K

Jan 25, 2020
UK
Its pretty much as I suspected...
My display is at odds with the battery indicator LEDs Ive noticed..
I figured one bar down was actually about the cusp, sur le point de tipping into 2 bars down - sure enough; switch it on today and two bars used..hasnt turned a wheel !
BT tells me 59% battery remaining...!

If I could find 1000m climbing here in East Angles, I would. I live on the only hill in suffolk, and thats maybe 25m ! lol

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
Managed to bag entries for the main trek for the Friday, starting in Les Gets. Blimey it was hard work - like trying to get tickets for Glastonbury.

Only 90 tickets left for Les Gets (Friday) at 9.20, so will no doubt be sold out by 10.

Edit: 5400 tickets sold in 3 hours; only 600 left for Friday or Sunday for the more remote start points, and all start points for Saturday sold out already o_Oo_Oo_O

Should be a blast.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles