Shifting best practice

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I've seen comments about shifting in the context of avoiding damage or wear by not shifting under power. I, with all of 7 weeks experience, like to;
get in the right gear early;
if I need to shift under load, get a wee spurt on, ease off or stop pedaling and shift in that 1/5 sec overrun, then ease on the power;
if I'm in too high a gear preparing to set off, use walk assist to get in the right one.
Mechanical sympathy is the key.
Any thoughts?

Chubba

Sep 17, 2019
Cape Town, South Africa
I've seen comments about shifting in the context of avoiding damage or wear by not shifting under power. I, with all of 7 weeks experience, like to;
get in the right gear early;
if I need to shift under load, get a wee spurt on, ease off or stop pedaling and shift in that 1/5 sec overrun, then ease on the power;
if I'm in too high a gear preparing to set off, use walk assist to get in the right one.
Mechanical sympathy is the key.
Any thoughts?
Exactly what I do, I ease off the power before changing gears to reduce load on the chain, as you have both leg power and mechanical power to contend with. Most motors also perform better at a higher cadence (80-90), so spinning also reduces wear on the chain.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles