Shifting with a Fatbike.

Pmsorber

Apr 4, 2021
Nederland
Hi all,
I am new here.

This is my bike, a Q7 mid motor Lynx. It uses a 9-speed Shimano GTR (Shadow) with a SCRAM cassette. I often (once a 30km drive) need to (minor) adjust the shifter in order to shift smoothly. When not smoothly, i notice bad shifting on the 3rd (smallest) gear. Is this normal?
311202194853.jpg

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
E fatbikes make so much more sense to me than normal ones.
What motor is that?

No poor shifting is not normal with 9 speed at all
SRAM and Shimano 9 speed cassettes and chains are 100% compatible and interchangeable.
Likely causes include badly set up indexing, B-tension, poor cable condition/routing or a bent mech/hanger.
shifting performance also gradually deteriorates as the drivetrain wears (Chain, cassette and jockeys)

If you mean the chain is slipping under load in the 3rd smallest sprocket (3rd highest gear) that is a wear issue. You can often compensate for slightly by winding out the B-tension adjuster and placing the top jockey wheel as close to the cassette as possible (without fouling the large sprocket when shifting)

Pmsorber

Apr 4, 2021
Nederland
E fatbikes make so much more sense to me than normal ones.
What motor is that?

No poor shifting is not normal with 9 speed at all
SRAM and Shimano 9 speed cassettes and chains are 100% compatible and interchangeable.
Likely causes include badly set up indexing, B-tension, poor cable condition/routing or a bent mech/hanger.
shifting performance also gradually deteriorates as the drivetrain wears (Chain, cassette and jockeys)

If you mean the chain is slipping under load in the 3rd smallest sprocket (3rd highest gear) that is a wear issue. You can often compensate for slightly by winding out the B-tension adjuster and placing the top jockey wheel as close to the cassette as possible (without fouling the large sprocket when shifting)

Ok, thanks. I will try that to see if it improves.

Pmsorber

Apr 4, 2021
Nederland
Hi Gary, I think I need to rephrase this issue. Its not during shifting that the problem occurs. Sometimes under load I hear a "click" from the rear derailleur, just a single click. More on wobble tracks than flat road. Like one chain-link is sticky... Its not wear, the chain and cassette is less than 1000km old and it shows no wear. The only part that could b worn are the jockey wheels or bearings. Could this cause this behavior? Shifting on itself in general is going smooth but I need to say, not always smooth the same.
Its a 1000W motor btw. I checked the B screw, its on its end loose. So can not get any closer.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles